More needed caster?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
We are ALWAYS talking about this. One of these days, the offset bushings are not gonna be there

What would happen if you cut the sleeve out of the top arm front bushing position, and fabricated a new one away from the ball end say, another 1/4"?

People did something similar years ago, with the Vega and Monza upper control arms. They would make a pie cut in the arm and make a spacer and weld it back together. There are more options now for A bodies than before. With the new lower control arm bushings and adjustable strut rods, I have not had a problem adjusting more positive caster. But I have a problem child with my 72 Duster, being previously wrecked, the alignment is way off. Once I straighten out a lot of the problems, I will see how I make out.

67 dart,do you have the part number for the offset bushings? and who makes them ,thanks mark

HDK sells chromoly tubular UCA assemblies for all the OEM A body Mopar spindles to achieve +3 to +6 caster with ease

rod ends for drag race applications
poly ends for street applications

HDK adjustable bump stop included

all for $298 @ pair plus shipping.

20210127_130707.jpg

20210127_130510.jpg

20210127_131144.jpg

20210127_130911.jpg

HDK sells chromoly tubular UCA assemblies for all the OEM A body Mopar spindles to achieve +3 to +6 caster with ease

rod ends for drag race applications
poly ends for street applications

HDK adjustable bump stop included

all for $298 @ pair plus shipping.

View attachment 1716078277

View attachment 1716078278

View attachment 1716078279

View attachment 1716078281
Well with the way you have the knuckle and the upper ball joint assembled in the pic, I can Really visualize! That's insanely totally different than the factory ones, I love it I bet those things will just get cooking with Crisco man!

You guys are likely right. For all the work of pulling an A arm, screwin around risking getting it wrong, likely easier, cheaper and maybe even better to just buy some arms.

There’s really no reason to be cutting and welding on a factory UCA. Pretty much all of the aftermarket tubular UCA’s have several additional degrees of caster already built in. QA1, Firm Feel, PST, Hotchkis, etc.

And then there’s the SPC double adjustable UCA’s @BergmanAutoCraft sells

BAC/SPC 1.0 UPPER CONTROL ARM - Bergman Auto Craft

C575C510-7116-48A0-AE3E-019CC800E71E.jpeg

Fully adjustable on the car, no need to remove the UCA to make adjustments beyond the scope of the caster bolts. I run them on my Duster and had no issue getting +6.5° of caster with plenty of adjustment left over.

50DD3BD7-FAB8-4267-B160-04F00E0AB6B2.jpeg

Another thing to consider is the shape of the UCA does matter, especially if you run wide front rims. The wider “U” shaped arms can interfere with a 9” front rim, where those with a “V” shape clear fine.

There’s really no reason to be cutting and welding on a factory UCA. Pretty much all of the aftermarket tubular UCA’s have several additional degrees of caster already built in. QA1, Firm Feel, PST, Hotchkis, etc.

And then there’s the SPC double adjustable UCA’s @BergmanAutoCraft sells

BAC/SPC 1.0 UPPER CONTROL ARM - Bergman Auto Craft

View attachment 1716078347

Fully adjustable on the car, no need to remove the UCA to make adjustments beyond the scope of the caster bolts. I run them on my Duster and had no issue getting +6.5° of caster with plenty of adjustment left over.

View attachment 1716078348

Another thing to consider is the shape of the UCA does matter, especially if you run wide front rims. The wider “U” shaped arms can interfere with a 9” front rim, where those with a “V” shape clear fine.
Those UCA's are advertised with delrin bushings. I thought delrin were self lubricating so why have zerk fittings like poly's need?

Those UCA's are advertised with delrin bushings. I thought delrin were self lubricating so why have zerk fittings like poly's need?

Because SPC sells the UCA’s with poly bushings. @BergmanAutoCraft adds the delrin bushings.

Doesn’t hurt anything anyway. Being able to add grease if necessary isn’t a bad thing.

What caliper is the bracket on the disk brake spindle for? Are you selling BBK’s now, too?

HDK supplies a lot of brake packages, Wilwood or E-bay specials for HDK packages with Mustang II drop or standard spindles.

The caliper pictured above is a Wilwood caliper that came with the spindle received in a trade. Originally installed the pictured (73 and up) spindle and Wilwoods on the Butch Leal street Duster but because of the additional (almost 1" per side) track width, sold them and replaced with the 9" OEM drum spindle and Wilwoods

20220120_160939.jpg

Last edited:
I drool over the nice suspension parts out there. I am strictly a low budget guy. I'm lucky enough to have 2 Darts and 2 trucks! I seen some 14 years of hard times and still trying to get my life back to normal (lot of tragedy) just this past 3 months I lost my Dad, my Nephew ,my best friend's wife, and sadly my brother just yesterday on my birthday. I push on. I re-installed the Moog offset bushings and alignment went well. All my cars I did myself. Everything except the dry stripping. I drive em and rarely show them .

Last edited:
-
Back