moroso overflow tank squirting

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
I have tried 2 caps... both with pressure release levers. 14 and 16 lb. my issue is i am using the moroso pictured overflow....the engine runs @170-185 all the time... when i park and open the hood the little pin hole weep hole on top of the moroso unit has sprayed a bit of coolant onto the pass fender.... if i open the petcock.... nothing is in the overflow..... what gives.... would putting too much coolant in the radiator cause this? both caps are brand new..... should the hole be sealed up? when i park the top hose is not hard and the lower has the spring in it and isnt collapsed... this is a decent built 400 engine... this is annoying the crap out of me.... ANY advice i would appreciate.... the radiator is a large 26 4 row old style in very good shape...with cap off the radiator is flowing very well... it couldnt be because of the upper hose being too high could it?

Attachments

• moroso_63657.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 234
  • rad 1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 221
  • rad 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 210
  • rad 3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 207
I had two blown head gaskets when mine was doing that.
The cooling system on mine would still have pressure on the hoses 30 minutes later.

I started it without the radiator cap on & it was bubbling in the neck.

Removed both heads & the fire rings were gone.
The rings came right to the bore, which is a no no that I found out.

thanks for sharing.
mine does not build upper hose pressure like that.... it almost seems like the cap seats are not correct...blown head gasket/s would have other symptoms also. everything is operating fine... this seems to have started after i topped the radiator fluid of.... didnt do it before. i did that. did you have any other outward signs or other head gasket issue signs? the only bubbles i have are when the coolant starts cross flowing thats all.

so the top hose going up so high could not cause any issues? i started it and took that cap off and let it run for a while no bubbling over or surging at all... just water flowing across like in a river...

will look into both... i did noticed the tank was sitting low and squishing the drain hose at the bottom.... but it is empty...thanks for ideas..

With a non recovery type system there is supposed to be an air gap in the radiator, and if it's filled all the way it IS going to push coolant out.
When it does it'll push past any cap you put on it.

A recovery type system lets coolant expand (like it's going to do) but then pulls the expelled coolant back into the radiator when it cools down and contracts causing a vacuum.

One other thing to realize, is that whatever amount your engine normally pushes out weather it's a recovery system or not, the tank needs to have the capacity to hold it or it IS going to overflow the catch tank.

I just ordered this one to replace the old plastic one.
I have a recovery system on it already, but just want a better looking tank.
Note the capacity.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/51136/10002/-1

Of course after I ordered it they said it was back ordered and will take an extra couple of weeks to get it, but like I said the existing system works but is just ugly.

With a non recovery type system there is supposed to be an air gap in the radiator, and if it's filled all the way it IS going to push coolant out.
When it does it'll push past any cap you put on it.

A recovery type system lets coolant expand (like it's going to do) but then pulls the expelled coolant back into the radiator when it cools down and contracts causing a vacuum.

One other thing to realize, is that whatever amount your engine normally pushes out weather it's a recovery system or not, the tank needs to have the capacity to hold it or it IS going to overflow the catch tank.

I just ordered this one to replace the old plastic one.
I have a recovery system on it already, but just want a better looking tank.
Note the capacity.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/51136/10002/-1

Of course after I ordered it they said it was back ordered and will take an extra couple of weeks to get it, but like I said the existing system works but is just ugly.

i removed the tank and found it was full... and plugged...cleaned and replaced....... i think an expansion/recovery is better also... think im gonna head that way too... thanks for the input... sometimes the obvious is not so obvious...lol

IF that fitting will come out of the top, perhaps you could put a piece of hose on it (inside to within a half inch or so from the bottom) and essentially turn it into a recovery system, as things cool down it should suck the coolant back into the rad.

I don't care for the design of that thing. One thing you could do is to replumb it. Hook the radiator to the bottom and leave the valve open, then run an overflow off the top. This will make it work like a recovery tank. I don't like the idea that you cannot get into it to clean it.

IF that fitting will come out of the top, perhaps you could put a piece of hose on it (inside to within a half inch or so from the bottom) and essentially turn it into a recovery system, as things cool down it should suck the coolant back into the rad.

yeah i was thinking of doing that... good idea for sure hose is cheaper than a new catch can.... and i have alot of it...

I don't care for the design of that thing. One thing you could do is to replumb it. Hook the radiator to the bottom and leave the valve open, then run an overflow off the top. This will make it work like a recovery tank. I don't like the idea that you cannot get into it to clean it.

You talkin to ME!? :D

Exactly what I'm going to do with it.

I'll clean it like I do my scuba tanks and put a bunch of 1/4 ball bearings in it to clean it if need be.
I think I have only cleaned out the one I have now once since I got the car 2 years or more ago.

i put a hose on the inside so it can draw it back in.... great idea peeps thanks.... also did the BG109 treatment with oil change.. see how it feels!

works well! thanks.. im pissed i didnt check to see if it was plugged... ez stuff not so obvious...

-
Back