Moser 8 3/4 housing is a Ford

-

brian6pac

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
After watching this if I spent $4000 on a drop in housing and found out it was a Mopar center in a ford housing I would have flipped.

For less than half that money, he could have bought a complete C body rear with 11" brakes, bought new A body axles, paid a shop to narrow the housing.

Ball bearings and not tapered rollers?

-I-m-not-saying-a-word-sherlock-holmes-and-john-watson-37159732-500-360.gif

There is nothing wrong with ball bearings, or ford 9" parts. I have had many wrecking yard 9" and put 10,000's of miles on them. The only failure I had was on a 200 mile return trip with 1000 lbs of floor tile from Mexico in the bed of my 56 PU doing 75mph.

I suspect the failure was just a random bearing failure. I also noticed the bearing was missing its internal seals, may have been a manufacturer failure that Moser missed or it desintigrated during failure.

Personally if I was not trying to keep it stock I would just go with a 9" and call it a day.

The Ford 9" is the industry standard for drop out center type rears now so it makes perfect production sense to use the same housing if they can engineer it like that. Just because it's a "Ford" design is not why it failed, nor does it make it inferior somehow.

My 67 Valiant uses a modified Ford 9" housing with rear bracing and four link brackets . I went with the 9" because it's lighter and at least as strong as a Dana 60, and there are more options available for brakes etc. Being able to drop out the center chunk make gear ratio swaps at the track easier too. My housing is from S&W Racecars, uses a Wavetrac diff, the 35 spline axles are Moser, and the brakes are Baer.

20180811_145847 (Medium).jpg

I never said that it was bad, it's just a ford rear and it does not look right in a mopar especially with a mopar 8 3/4 center

I never said that it was bad, it's just a ford rear and it does not look right in a mopar especially with a mopar 8 3/4 center

I would challenge anyone to tell the difference under the car at 20 feet away. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. It's metal formed into a usable shape bolted to more metal to make more metal move. It doesn't make a rat's *** difference what it is.

I would challenge anyone to tell the difference under the car at 20 feet away. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. It's metal formed into a usable shape bolted to more metal to make more metal move. It doesn't make a rat's *** difference what it is.

I seen the difference the first time I seen the rear of the car, people aren't as clueless as you think, and for me I want to keep my mopar a mopar not a pile of misc parts. But that's just me.

I seen the difference the first time I seen the rear of the car, people aren't as clueless as you think, and for me I want to keep my mopar a mopar not a pile of misc parts. But that's just me.

It's not about people bein clueless man. That's not how I meant it. Sure, you can tell the difference.....at least "we" can. But we're not talking about cars here that it "matters" about. If it's one where it needs to be or should be a Mopar unit, fine. 90% of Mopars on the street aren't numbers cars, plus the Ford 9" is not just "arguably" stronger, it's a LOT stronger, so it's an upgrade all the way around. Regardless of your feelings about Mopar stuff. None of the Mopar units have that rear pinion bearing support. That makes a pretty big difference.

It's not about people bein clueless man. That's not how I meant it. Sure, you can tell the difference.....at least "we" can. But we're not talking about cars here that it "matters" about. If it's one where it needs to be or should be a Mopar unit, fine. 90% of Mopars on the street aren't numbers cars, plus the Ford 9" is not just "arguably" stronger, it's a LOT stronger, so it's an upgrade all the way around. Regardless of your feelings about Mopar stuff. None of the Mopar units have that rear pinion bearing support. That makes a pretty big difference.

I know the 9" is stronger and I don't believe any other rear ends have that pinion support bearing, but what I don't understand is why would anybody put a 8 3/4 in a 9" housing ? If you are going to have a ford 9" housing ford brakes why not just use a 9" center. It just makes no sense to me. I think the guys at Moser are morons for doing that.

I know the 9" is stronger and I don't believe any other rear ends have that pinion support bearing, but what I don't understand is why would anybody put a 8 3/4 in a 9" housing ? If you are going to have a ford 9" housing ford brakes why not just use a 9" center. It just makes no sense to me. I think the guys at Moser are morons for doing that.

For the simplicity of production. That's all there is to it. It's a cost cutting measure. From that standpoint it's a smart one.

For the simplicity of production. That's all there is to it. It's a cost cutting measure. From that standpoint it's a smart one.

Not for $4000 that he said he paid for it

Oh wait, it's a great deal and $ maker for Moser

I dont care which one is better, for the money he paid give him what he ordered. Stupid pricks.
Fn transgender rearend!

I wonder if Moser even took care of any of it?

I watched the video. But, also, you can specify what brakes, offset.......all that when you order one. I have to wonder if he did all that. I can tell you that "IF YOU DON'T SPECIFY" their "default" setting is Ford stuff with brakes and bearings. YOU CAN GET anything you want. Nevertheless, he should have been given paperwork that included everything he got. There was no "mention of THAT" either. This is only one side of this story, rest assured.

-
Back