Moser Engineering Rear Ends?

-
I'm not sure if you can get one for the 8.75 but I love the tru-trac.

If it's just going to be a daily driver or some spirited track use I would even consider an eighth and a quarter? Even way cheaper than the eight and three-quarter and almost as strong. I never blew up my 8 1/4 with my 4-speed Stroker but I did with the eight and three quarter? Lol

I will post since I'm literally in the middle of swapping my 8 3/4 for a Dana right now. Looking like I will end up with around $1400 in the Dana. Wish I would have took the advice to do it first.

Started with a craigslist truck Dana for $150. Got it torn down cleaned up and painted. Just pulled the 8 3/4 this weekend out of the Dart so I can haul both housing to Moser. This way they can shorten it to match what I had, weld the perches at same place and angle, weld on Mopar ends, build me custom axles. I am lucky to kind of close to Moser so I can let them do the measuring

From there I am buying the power lock sure grip from Dr Diff along with needed bearings, seals, ect. When all put back together will slap it in and measure for my new driveshaft with 1350 u joints. Luckily my truck Dana came with perfect looking 3.54 gears so I'll be reusing them.

Can't wait to get this done and get it back to the track to see how bad the change from 3.91 to 3.54 will hurt me. Slapping on a Procharger this spring so that is the reason for the Dana and gear ratio.

So your idea is to have them hack off the eight and three quarter ends and weld them on to the Dana 60? Because that housing is probably worth a lot more than just the $75 ends? I've also found dr. Dif to be the cheapest to buy those ends.
I will post since I'm literally in the middle of swapping my 8 3/4 for a Dana right now. Looking like I will end up with around $1400 in the Dana. Wish I would have took the advice to do it first.

Started with a craigslist truck Dana for $150. Got it torn down cleaned up and painted. Just pulled the 8 3/4 this weekend out of the Dart so I can haul both housing to Moser. This way they can shorten it to match what I had, weld the perches at same place and angle, weld on Mopar ends, build me custom axles. I am lucky to kind of close to Moser so I can let them do the measuring

From there I am buying the power lock sure grip from Dr Diff along with needed bearings, seals, ect. When all put back together will slap it in and measure for my new driveshaft with 1350 u joints. Luckily my truck Dana came with perfect looking 3.54 gears so I'll be reusing them.

Can't wait to get this done and get it back to the track to see how bad the change from 3.91 to 3.54 will hurt me. Slapping on a Procharger this spring so that is the reason for the Dana and gear ratio.

And build axles? Dr.dif can send you any size any spline axles with green bearings for $300

The only thing moser should have to do is cut off and weld on the new ends. Maybe have someone set up the Lash and the gears.

No just taking the 8 3/4 so they can measure. I'll buy there ends for the Dana. Saving the 8 3/4 housing for a future project. Thought about buying axles from Dr Diff but i figured if I was already at moser I'd just have them Build them so I don't have to worry about screwing up a measurement

Oops double post but I do find it funny that I was already on the measuring question LOL

Okay, so I do know that Danas came on Fords, and my if looked into right the f-250s? At this point, I havent pulled the trigger on anything yet and well if anything, i will just store the rear end in the garage for a future project or even this project. Cause parts around here are only going to get more expensive or not able to find.
So my real option in my area is hitting up the local u-pic-part yard. Which i have no problem with. I just want to know what i am looking for when i go in there. So any pointers on that?

Some fords had Dana's some 9 inch. 80s and 90s ford and dodge 3/4 ton vans are good just make sure they have the 3 inch axle tubes. Some of the later model stuff has 3.5 inch tubes. Mine came out of a 96 ram 2500. Basically any Dodge 3/4 ton pickup from 73 to late 90s should have a Dana 60 in the rear.

Okay, so I do know that Danas came on Fords, and my if looked into right the f-250s? At this point, I havent pulled the trigger on anything yet and well if anything, i will just store the rear end in the garage for a future project or even this project. Cause parts around here are only going to get more expensive or not able to find.
So my real option in my area is hitting up the local u-pic-part yard. Which i have no problem with. I just want to know what i am looking for when i go in there. So any pointers on that?

Just watch craigslist for a dana 60. Last one I bought was $40, from a '74 F250. Guy just wanted it out of his garage and had no luck trying to get $100.

I think everybody's got something good here. first off I got mine out of a Dodge three quarter ton. definitely you can get one out of Fords because you're going to cut the ends off of anything you get and just put the ends that fit your Mopar a body brakes. You got plenty of time to buy I think the best thing to do is look for the gear ratio you want by the one with that. 9 times Outta 10 these are in great condition as far as the gears go.

Some fords had Dana's some 9 inch. 80s and 90s ford and dodge 3/4 ton vans are good just make sure they have the 3 inch axle tubes. Some of the later model stuff has 3.5 inch tubes. Mine came out of a 96 ram 2500. Basically any Dodge 3/4 ton pickup from 73 to late 90s should have a Dana 60 in the rear.
Just watch craigslist for a dana 60. Last one I bought was $40, from a '74 F250. Guy just wanted it out of his garage and had no luck trying to get $100.

Someone post the weight of an 8 3/4 verses to weight of a Dana.

Pinion Comparison - Quality Body Shop Drivetrain

went back to an old post to find > Dana vs 8 3/4
both are 53" F-F , weighed without brakes

Dana- 4.10 spool/ stamped cover = 97 lbs.
8 3/4 - 4.56 spool= 99 lbs.

003.JPG

005.JPG

Last edited:
[QUOTE
And looking at your pics again, your 60 is a HD case right?[/QUOTE]

yes, out of 1989 3/4 ton ford vans.
> thick wall tubes <

002.JPG

005.JPG

SAM_4209.JPG

Last edited:
put danas in all my drag cars.
have either crushed the tubes @ the spring perch or bent housings on the 8 3/4
wanted the thicker tubes ( in the above dart) due to running a 540ci.

put danas in all my drag cars.
have either crushed the tubes @ the spring perch or bent housings on the 8 3/4
wanted the thicker tubes ( in the above dart) due to running a 540ci.

I think the CM at .250 would be strong enough. If I can find a pipe size that works, it'd be even stronger. Still shopping around.

I blew the ring gear caps off my 8 3/4. $1000+ down the tubes.
To the original question a Moser setup would be great for for a 500+hp dedicated track car, but a "budget Dana" is the ticket for a street/strip setup.

Hey wait a minute, that was a funny "down the tubes" ?

I blew the ring gear caps off my 8 3/4. $1000+ down the tubes.
To the original question a Moser setup would be great for for a 500+hp dedicated track car, but a "budget Dana" is the ticket for a street/strip setup.

Hey wait a minute, that was a funny "down the tubes" ?

I'm sure some shrapnel made it "down the tubes".

Damn some people get lucky on CL. I have never been that lucky, i will just have to keep a more vigilant eye out.

Don't forget some late model GM trucks came with Danas. Cass told me when I need a cover gasket to tell the guy behind the counter it was for a Chevy truck, it'll make it easier to find.

Last edited:
-
Back