Moser Rear to Narrow or not to Narrow?

-

ycdart

Reaction score
For the 68 Dart project we are Purchasing a Moser Dana 60 w. disc brakes. Mini Tub and spring relocation in progress, springs are CalTracs.

1. We will run DOT slicks so want the largest we can get in the space, is it possable to get 12" tire in this space?
2. Before I order the Dana 60 should I have it narrowed from the stock width to get it centered in the wheel well opening or leave it stock width and move wheel inboard using specific backspace?
3. Also what combos tire & wheel are popular for this setup I am trying to get?
Thanx

Don't want to hijack your thread but need same answers. Width wheel flange to flange. Bumping you to the top.

Get the wheels/tires you want to run and measure off of them.

A normal minitub usually has about 15" of wheelwell width available. Rim width makes a difference on tire section width. A 325/50/15 tire fits in the well on a 10" rim.

Here,s how I did mine with a stock A-body 8 3/4
-measured housing end to end 52 5/8
-this would mean a 7.5 inch b.spacing on a 15x10 rim

I had 3 inches removed from each side of the housing bringing it to 46 5/8
-now can run a 4.5 b.spacing on a 15x10 rim

I,ve now moved on to a Dana60 at 46 5/8 and run 15x12 ProStars with a 15x12x29 inch slick(it,s tight,very tight)the slicks buldge to 13.5 inches.My next new slicks will be 15x11.5x29 to be safe.

I had lots of help from Crackedback(Rob)when doing my rear mods.Thanks again Rob.:D
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 355.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 359.jpg

Petty Blu I see your running CalVert as well. That will bring more ?? But for now, this setup you have is on a 66 Dart?
How will this work on the 68 Dart?
What did it cost to have the Dana 60 Narrowed to 46 5/8?

Question on your measurement. You said Hub face end to end. What does it measure axle face end to end? Or where exactly did you measure 46 5/8? Hope that makes sence, just trying not to screw up the Moser order.

Thanx

Question on your measurement. You said Hub face end to end. What does it measure axle face end to end? Or where exactly did you measure 46 5/8? Hope that makes sence, just trying not to screw up the Moser order.

Thanx
ycdart,I measured 46 5/8 from housing end to end.I run 10x2 1/2 inch brakes,so the rear with axels is 51 5/8.Hope this helps.:burnout:

My 67 barracuda is mini tubbed with a stock length rear housing.

I can fit 12.5" wide tires witha 7.5" backspace.

My wheel opening towards the front of the wheel well is moved forward 1.5" for taller tires otherwise it will rub.

cudainlot-2.jpg

pops-1.jpg

I actually am looking to find a narrowed rear for mine somI can run a deeper dish.

Cudaspaz,I pieced mine together and had a buddy with a Chassis Shop weld my ends on.I then took it to my trans builder for assembly,axels,spool and gears kit.I added my 8 3/4 brakes and lines myself.I think to buy a complete peice from Moser,s with disc brakes is $3500-3600.I have $2700 in mine and thats with the soft race gears(4.56):D

Cudaspaz,I pieced mine together and had a buddy with a Chassis Shop weld my ends on.I then took it to my trans builder for assembly,axels,spool and gears kit.I added my 8 3/4 brakes and lines myself.I think to buy a complete peice from Moser,s with disc brakes is $3500-3600.I have $2700 in mine and thats with the soft race gears(4.56):D

Gosh-dang that's pricey!
Whoo.

On my '70 Dart, I did the standard mini tub job that everyone does on these cars. I followed the tech pages from big block dart. I then chose my wheel and tire combo first, and mocked them up under the car so they were centered. I then measured the distance to and from the wheel mounting surface., which was 49 & 5/8".

I like the deep dish look myself, so I chose the American Racing Torq Thrust "D" series in 15x10" with 3.75" backspace. I also had a custom set of 17's made in 17x11 with 4.25" backspace. I don't like a whole lotta backspace on a wide wheel, doesn't look right.

I ordered a Complete Strange S60 with 3:73 gears, detroit locker and wilwood brakes. It was $3100 to my door.

mopardude i was curious for that price, did you get the aluminum support cover, billet yoke or any other extra options?... just trying to get an idea as im only a couple months off of ordering mine too

yes, LPW aluminum cover is included in that price, but no billet yoke...i didnt even think about ordering one, i shoulda though...lol

well ya made me feel a little better :)... i was thinking id be closer to 4k into it. Still i think it will come out a little more with ladder bar brackets and coil over mounts but not too bad! tyty

-
Back