Most overrated bands?

-
this is 'gonna be age specific....us old guys will live and die by the 60's and early 70's.
not much has measured up since

I just think a lot of Good Bands just get over played. FM radio has ruined a lot for me. I like the Beatles, But not "Hey Jude" or "Hello goodbye" I like Some Van Halen but i am Sick of "Jump" & "Hot for Teacher" Same with Aerosmith. I am Sick of "Dude looks like a lady"

I think U2s body of work stands for itself not under or over rated in my opinion. KISS is awesome if you take them for what they are.

Journey, on the other hand, sucks.
Journey is awesome. And I do like at least one song from kiss and U2.

Now THIS one will probably get me tar'd and feathered but I think the Beatles absolutely sucked!!!

Posted before I read all the comments. Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks the Beatles suck.

this is 'gonna be age specific....us old guys will live and die by the 60's and early 70's.
not much has measured up since
Agreed. And also The Beatles were pioneers for much of the rock music that followed for many decades. Look at their old photographs, all basic equipment, 4 members, no electronics etc. All music back then was so basic. Most all was 3 cord sets.

Janis Joplin was absolutely horrific to listen to. Led Zeppelin has been absolutely beat to death to the point I refuse to listen to it. Never liked the Beatles either. Ozzy has been ran through the ringer. If I hear crazy train one more time I might just throw up. And as mentioned, everything after appetite for destruction was garbage and truly overrated

Talk about Horrific? Drugs proved that you didn't have to have talent to cut a record. Bob Dylan and Neil Young were terrible!

wait, this has gone off track. It was over rated bands. Not bands that have been played (oftentimes ad nauseum) There is no way the Beatles should be included as over rated. You might not like them (maybe because you are tired of them) but their influence was global. And their style is still an influenced today. To a lesser degree led zeppelin, I am a huge fan, but I am tired of many/most of their songs. Of course, they have not released anything new since 1979. So if you listen to a classic rock station what to you expect to hear? Branch out
Over rated is a band that got more credit than they deserved (GnR). Not a band after 30 years you are tired of. Oasis, yes wonder wall sucks and they are/were over rated and their small canon of music will not be over played or influenced to other bands

I also disagree to Dylan being brought up. He had a lot of great stuff into the 70s. He wrote some great songs, maybe not the best voice

Well we were not asked about over rated writers! Just cause Bob Dylan was a great song writer, doesn't make him a great performer!

The touchy subject, of over played top 40 & classic rock radio, seems to be... intertwined here...
Let me add another, btw......White Stripes ,... Ugh.

This threads fuckin hilarious I know its opinions but really Skynyrd, Zeppelin, the Beatles and Kiss over rated??? Lol and that was just page one. Lol Oh yeah and the Who??
Buncha polka listeners??
If I gotta put a name The Cars and the whining pissing Nirvana

U2
Rush
Stones
Beatles
Guns and Roses
Michael Jackson
Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Most everything from the 90's through now.
Any musicians who can't play an instrument (voice is an instrument)
Hillary Clinton.
Starbucks.
Mini Coopers.
Those little rat-dogs that everyone thinks are so damn cool.
Prius and Tesla drivers, buncha pretentious pricks. And their wretched cars.

I knew I would strike a chord by saying Skynyrd is overrated. I think maybe it's not that they are overrated, but instead they are overplayed around here. Classic rock stations have about a 90 minute rotation, so you can expect to hear "Sweet Home Alabama" at least four times during the work day, with random insertions of "Freebird". Back in the day, when my wife was a bartender at a karaoke bar, we'd hear drunken renditions of many Skynyrd standards on a nightly basis. Sometimes the same song two and three times. It really tends to turn you off certain bands.

I have nothing against those who like Skynyrd. I have to give the guys credit, and I have loads of respect for them, for still being around. Not too many bands could recover from what they went through in the 70s. They came back, and they made themselves bigger than ever. More power to them. I just don't really like to listen to them.

Strike a chord lol.
Its all good Rob, Quite often good tunes/bands get way overplayed. After listening to them for 40+ years they can be "same ol same ol"
When I do hear Skynyrd I do what RVZ says "turn it up!" Lol
I knew I would strike a chord by saying Skynyrd is overrated. I think maybe it's not that they are overrated, but instead they are overplayed around here. Classic rock stations have about a 90 minute rotation, so you can expect to hear "Sweet Home Alabama" at least four times during the work day, with random insertions of "Freebird". Back in the day, when my wife was a bartender at a karaoke bar, we'd hear drunken renditions of many Skynyrd standards on a nightly basis. Sometimes the same song two and three times. It really tends to turn you off certain bands.

I have nothing against those who like Skynyrd. I have to give the guys credit, and I have loads of respect for them, for still being around. Not too many bands could recover from what they went through in the 70s. They came back, and they made themselves bigger than ever. More power to them. I just don't really like to listen to them.

Wonder how many musicians we have among us or who play one or more instruments?
....anybody can learn but it does take practice.

I have played guitar - I stopped practicing several years ago - very sure the "rust" would be beyond evident now. :BangHead:

Springsteen - no idea how he made it so big...

Cheap Trick - saw them live once at the Long Beach Grand Prix and the lead singer opened their show screaming they were "the best rock and roll band ever". Meh.

Well, I guess I'm just overrated too. Cuz, about the top 5 on the list Zeppelin,Kiss,Beatles,Skynard, Ac/Dc.
Are all my favorites.I really don't see the problem you guy's don't get tired of your 40 plus year old cars. But you got tired of the music of that era.

...Cheap Trick - saw them live once at the Long Beach Grand Prix and the lead singer opened their show screaming they were "the best rock and roll band ever". Meh.
Oh man, that concert was terrible.. and I walked out at the start of the second song! I was aware of the early CT as my older sister was a big fan so I heard them all and boy, that band needs to hang it up before they lose all their old fans. It took me about a minute to even recognize that first song it was so bad. A terrible choice, they should have opened with "Dream Police" so people would recognize who they were. Yeah, White stripes are pretty edgy, definetly a love or hate band.

-
Back