Motor Swap on a 63

-
Excellent! I'm on it

Yep !
If you have access to a lathe and mill, you're half way there.
The pic's I included in post 10 shows OEM style pick-up components, I have turned a corner since then and use all MSD parts now. (based of the phord stuff) so the new MSD reluctor will have to be bored to fit in the OE mopar location. Of coarse, a OE phord reluctor could be used as well, if you have some lying around..
Good luck to ya ! :thumbsup:

20180327_141903.jpg

If you're still interested, I posted some of the particulars on an earlier post. (somewhere?)
Perhaps you already found it. if not, I'll see if I can locate it, or just re-post.[/QUOTE] I certainly would be grateful for it

I certainly would be grateful for it
I think the only place I posted any particulars, are in this thread on the first page.. (post 10)
Otherwise, I seemed to have run across some notes I made, in my shop the other day, while looking for something else. I will see if I can stumble upon them again.
I take you're a machinists ? ..and have the skillset. it's not for the faint-of-heart..

Rapid Robert:
I found my notes..
1 Machine inside depth of Mag dist housing. Ck with your depth Mic, the housing will have to be thinned a quite a bit to get the LA mechanical advance parts to fit. It seems I thinned it down to only .050" thick on the bottom.
2 Grind the rivets on the bottom side of the shafts flyweight assy, so that they don't rub into the already thinned out housing. the thrust washer may also have to be removed or replaced with a much thinner one. (that part is a little foggy)
3 Shorten the part the rotor slips onto by .375" and the rotor the same amount. the slot on the end will have to be lengthened so that the notch on the inside of the rotor will engage fully.
4 Fit LA breaker plate mount into the Mag housing so that it is orientated to cap bolt holes like the the cap clips on the LA unit. Lay out the mounting holes for breaker plate mounts screws like on LA unit and also the locating dowel like on the LA unit. Yes, the Mag dist is the same ID as the LA
5 Shorten LA distributor shaft. First make a scribe line half-way up the shaft from the drive slot, so that proper slot orientation can be duplicated on shaft after cutting 1 5/16 off.
I used a ER-32 Collet block to machine in a new slot drive..
6 Fab up new breaker plate out of 12 ga aluminum sheet. see pic in post 28. I used aluminum cause it's easier to work with AND it won't absorb the magnetic field from the MSD Pick up. The MSD parts are shipped with aluminum mounting screws for a reason.
Unfortunately, that's all the notes I've been able to find. Hopefully, you can get through the rest of the swap by pic's.
I will see if I can look at my distributor sometime tomorrow for more details. No promises, I've got heads to finish/deliver by Wed...

Rapid Robert,
I'd like to hear how it turns out for you when your finished? Good luck!

-
Back