Mountain Lions In West Virginia

-

Xcptshnl1

Reaction score
My cousin lives in Elkins, West Virginia. He took the following picture in his driveway. Now he knows what happened to his beagles. He lost two this winter.

tripple threat.jpg

My dad took this picture last week on the river bank behind his house. The DNR Officer came and confirmed it was a Mountain Loin print just 100 yards from their home.

Mountainloinprint.jpg

Mountainloinprint.jpg

tripple threat.jpg

I'd say if you came upon 3 of those things in the wild, someone would be in trouble. You can bet i'd die with a club in my hand. I'll bet if ya killed one, the fish and game would haunt you forever. Great picks Mary.
Small Block

They are pretty but nothing to get too close to, remember they are only doing what comes naturally. Sad part sometimes that involves livestock and pets being killed by them as a food source. And since they shy away from humans unless they feel threatened it would be hard to convince the state game agency of self protection, and I doubt if the state cares much about your animals unless your dog license has expired.

On a lighter thought, there are some nice looking cougars down in my neighboring state for sure. LOL

Those are some big cats, we've had problems for years.

Here is the most recent, at the 2 schools that I attended.

From the local TV news;

PACIFIC GROVE, Calif. -- School officials in Pacific Grove urged the public to be on the lookout for a mountain lion after a deer carcass was found at Pacific Grove High School.Police said Wednesday that animal control officials were sent to the high school campus at 8:30 a.m. Monday after the dead deer was found near the visitors' bleachers at the track.An official said the deer likely died at that location as a result of a mountain lion attack.The deer was removed to prevent the mountain lion from returning to the campus.School officials asked visitors and staff to take safety precautions when visiting the high school and Forest Grove Elementary School. Copyright 2007 by TheKSBWChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

can he give you a shot of his license plate of the car to help verify location?

I got the same photo in an email, and
snopes.com
says it is not in the area that was mentioned in my email, and others said it was in Colorado.

just askin', lol

And according to the DNR, they don't exist here. They have been extinct in WV since the early 1900s. Yeah, right. :-\"

We have them around here but lucky for me they stay closer to the hills. Did see one down buy the pond one time though. They scare the bagebers out of me.

They even found one in Wisconsin, that they ended up catching in Chicago!
They figured it was someones pet, BUT the found another one in western Wisconsin, so the DNR is starting to wonder if they are moving in.

I have been hiking out of the mountains at night by myself and have heard them screaming behind me. Talk about scary. I was even packing an M&P .40 at the time. LOL

Last year I was really close to a den while I was sat up with a spotting scope watching a herd of elk. I could hear the cubs making all kinds of noise. This is why I always pack a pistol.

Captain Lou Albano provides instruction on the proper application of a "sleeper hold"...

LOL that's kind of a running joke we have with a few ladies we know, convinced them there so tame up here you can sneak up on them when there sleeping and give them a big hug.....

For reference my friend in the pic is at least 6' 2" tall I think this one was a female and it weighed about 110-120 lbs.It had just killed a young tracking dog that cornered it ran ahead of the pack:angry7:

He had shot another one a couple weeks before which was a male and weighed in at 175 lbs. He was tracking it found its deer kill and the dam thing had back tracked him and came at him from behind. He heard it panting behind him :shock:

I got that same email here a while back and looked around and found this link with the same pic. http://dakotawarcollege.com/archives/11174
They claimed it was in SD but the last comment at the bottom of the page said it was from WV.
Here's another link that said it was from WV with some more pictures.
http://mlmanley.com/02122010/honey-go-start-the-car/

We had people looking for an African Lion where I live a few years ago but they never found anything..lol. I've hunted the same mountain and heard a big cat screaming and it sent us packing, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I had goose bumps for the rest of the night.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1918207/posts

:toothy10: I thought cougars were hot and horny mature women that prey on young men? If that`s the case they must be in every state, even Alaska and Hawaii. :sign10:

We've had one of those in the vicinity of my acreage for the past 5 years, and recently Wildlife folks released 3 more in this area. Guys on the shift bus coming to work here at the Power Plant spotted one at the end of my driveway about 3 weeks ago. And last week, momma was talking on the phone at about 2:00 PM when a wolf sauntered through the yard.
We have a huge mule deer population basically right in my back yard, and with the Power Plant and Coall Mine so close, the area is closed to hunting, so the mulies just thrive here. There are days you can count 300 - 400 mule deer between my house and the top of the river hill, basically 2 quarter sections of land. Wildlife dept has decided that the wolf and the 4 kitty cats will control the mule deer population. (I help out whenever I need venison) :)

-
Back