mounting an electric pump

-

moparclown

Reaction score
I was wondering if their is any reason or a rule about mounting an electric pump inside the trunk down in the spare tire well right behind the fuel cell outlet?I do have a battery mounted in the trunk also and before I go and change everything around I figured I better ask?This is just my street and strip car that I am looking for low 12 second passes with.
Thanks Doug

They want you to mount the pump inlet and outlet lower than the fuel tank.
Preferably frame rail.
You can cut a hole and run a grommet outside of the trunk for a braided flex line to your fuel filter then plumb flex or hard line to your pump.

I've gone through several electric pumps including a super quiet Holley hp125 wich was great for a year until it fizzled out.
I am now running a cheap summit pump that sounds like a pissed off wolverine and I have a Jegs back up pump in my trunk for emergencies which I've already had to use when my pump burned out at a cruise in.

I am seriously thinking of going back to a mechanical fuel pump.

Bulkhead between trunk and passenger compartment of .030 steel or I forget aluminum.
Trunk has to be sealed from driver's compartment to pass tech when the battery or fuel tank in is the trunk.
3/8ths " hold downs on batteries in non stock locations.
Battery disconnect when battery is re-located.........must be clearly marked for direction of " off " on rotary , and push to " off " on push pull switch.
It will really depend on the track and your car's expected E.T. for how close they will scrutinize the car. If it looks real fast , they typically pay more attention.
The pump isn't the deal breaker as much as the tank or cell location.
And some tracks are real sticklers for the rule book........some just take your money and let you race.

infineon frowned upon the pump in the trunk,and i had the firewall..i put mine on the framerail this time.....

Thanks for the info guys
I am just gonna leave the pump in the rearend tunnel for now but would like to eventually mount the pump right behind and below the cell outlet.I just can't bring myself to cutting up the original trunk floor.

infineon frowned upon the pump in the trunk,and i had the firewall..i put mine on the framerail this time.....

Here is how mine is mounted.
DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0186-1.jpg

here's mine...extremely quiet..and very functional

Attachments

• IM001484.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 342
here's mine...extremely quiet..and very functional

I don't see tech letting that much rubber line go through.....but I've been wrong before.

And I don't see the point of even HAVING it in the trunk----

The rubber line creates more of a fire hazard, and it has to lift more fuel above the tank.

My 67, same pump, I think.....is mounted pretty much UNDER where yours is, so all the fuel lines are out of the passenger compartment

It would have been easy to do except I added extra rubber to the pump / mount, and rubber grommets/ washers to isolate the noise, so this resulted in "vise grips in the trunk" to hold the bolts while I was underneath.

I would think it'd be noiser in the the trunk on a street car, than under..................

wheelsup73
Exactly as I will be doing mine in the very near future,thanks

I have to ask you guys about the electric pump being mounted in terzmo's car?That would actually go against everything that I have read or heard about mounting the pump up above the outlet on the tank(sending unit) or the cell as these pumps are pusher pumps and not sucker pumps,correct?I am not knocking what works for him or his car,just trying to learn is all.
Thanks Doug

ALL pumps "would rather" push than "suck." The more precision the pump impeller, the more suction it generates, (inlet vacuum) but the more fussy it is with regards to wear and debri in the liquid being pumped.

On the "loose" side is an automotive water pump, which generates nearly NO suction.

It might be interesting, but not practical, to "rig" an automotive pump in such a way that you can measure the lift, similar to a shallow well pump. I bet it would not be much

On the "far side" something like a refrigeration compressor can "pump down" into some pretty fair vacuum readings. Of course they don't like pumping liquids AT ALL

well...been running like this for a few seasons..and that's what fire insurance is for...appears more are concerned than the owner...lol

I have been wondering the same. I have a cell that I was going to mount similar to Wheelsup73, but with the spare tire well still in place and not covered, so the pump would she in the trunk. I guess if I did it like that and had a sheet of aluminum covering the well, it should be ok.

I have been wondering the same. I have a cell that I was going to mount similar to Wheelsup73, but with the spare tire well still in place and not covered, so the pump would she in the trunk. I guess if I did it like that and had a sheet of aluminum covering the well, it should be ok.

We ran my pump in the trunk since 1998. We just modified the trunk 5 months ago because we needed the room for a wheelie bar. Never had any issues with tech and I have raced at many ET finals.
DSCN0186.jpg

This is how I have mine right now(don't mind the block of wood,just temp)
And I would like to mount this pump right off the cell in the near future.I'll just seal it off with some nice sheetmetal work:thumleft:

Attachments

• 000_3906.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 000_3905.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 308
-
Back