Move the motor

-

240 gordy

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to move a small block in a 69 Dart about 1/4 inch to the passenger side to get one of the TTI header pipes off the drivers side torsion bar. Don't want to pull the motor.. Thanks..

Unbolt a mount and a jack under pan mounting flange.

You can put shims between the brackets and the biscuits, even just one side, then with both side brackets a bit loose,shift it over, level the carb flange, and tighten it all down again.It might take a couple of trys. And you might end up dinging the pipes anyways. Good luck...... :)

When all else fails, I have often had to file material off of the flange to change the angle of the header leaving the engine. It was pretty common on the old headers to have to weld the dips, and file the high spots of the flange to get a good seal. Doesn't take much filing to get 3/16 clearance down by the collector. cheers. Google "draw file". I suspect it hasn't been done in years . .lol

Last edited:
Spool or biscuit style mounts?

I think TTI gives specific dimensions where the engine needs to be.
Old biscuit mounts may take a set due to age, oil, etc. and replacing them with new mounts will restore the height.

FWIW, I converted to the newer 73-76 spool type k member in my small block 68 and used new poly mount inserts which changed the position of the engine significantly.

Ding the pipe. 1/4 inch clearance in a pipe won't affect anything. I think someone did a dyno test on a cars headers pre and post ding/crush/flatten and if it didn't restrict the pipe like 50% it showed no difference.

-
Back