MP Electronig Ignition Converion '66 Dart

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm putting electronig ignition in my '66 w/ the stock 273. Anyone know a good spot to mount the new balast resistor? The new resistor doesn't match the shape of my exisitng resistor so I can't re-use the factory bracket. Can I get a longer bolt and put it on the firewall w/ out a bracket? Can the resistor be mounted right to the firewall like that?

Thank you.

I mounted mine in the same spot and re-used the ballast resistor from the points set up. Connections are the same, you dont need a dual resistor ballast (4 wires) set up. It can work, but not needed.

I mounted mine in the same spot and re-used the ballast resistor from the points set up. Connections are the same, you dont need a dual resistor ballast (4 wires) set up. It can work, but not needed.
Thanks, the new resistor what a different shape, still a two wire though. I'll have to have a bracket made, I haven't found one that anyone else offers yet. Until the, I'll run the old one, thanks.

I just put in a Pertronix, use all the same stuff for about $80. Still looks stock. Only thing that comes out of the distro is a power wire and the coil wire.....

I am using the stock resistor, for 5 years now.
You can listen at the bottom. :)

DSCN2084Medium.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

I am using the stock resistor, for 5 years now.
You can listen at the bottom. :)

DSCN2084Medium.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

Okay, I tossed the stock one from the points system back in and it runs just fine. However; is the resistor supposed to get hot to the touch? As I understand the ballast resistor its purpose is to limit the voltage to the coil after ignition. I'm not sure how hot is too hot but I'm sure at some point something will fail if the ohms are out of whack.

Anyone know what the voltage should be running into the coil while the car is running? MSD apparently has a .8 ohm ballast designed to work with the blaser coil, I probably can't go wrong with that - and it appears to come with a bracket that should work on our firewall.

Can anyone say if this is a realiable option?

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8214/10002/-1?parentProductId=761219

Yes; the ballast resistor gets HOT
as I found out the hard way, 35+ years ago or so.

Leave the stock ballast alone, it should work fine for years.

My Dad bought a New car in November 1964,
it was a 1965 Valiant 2 door sedan.
I have been around a few Mopars since then. ;)

I do suggest get a spare stock style resistor for a spare,
because they do fail once in a while, I have one in my glove box,
I also carry a spare tire {besides the spare tire under my shirt HAHA}.

Okay, I tossed the stock one from the points system back in and it runs just fine. However; is the resistor supposed to get hot to the touch? As I understand the ballast resistor its purpose is to limit the voltage to the coil after ignition. I'm not sure how hot is too hot but I'm sure at some point something will fail if the ohms are out of whack.

Anyone know what the voltage should be running into the coil while the car is running? MSD apparently has a .8 ohm ballast designed to work with the blaser coil, I probably can't go wrong with that - and it appears to come with a bracket that should work on our firewall.

Can anyone say if this is a realiable option?

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8214/10002/-1?parentProductId=761219

Because of the xtreme heat of a ballast resistor I've taken to spacing them out from the firewall.I just use a nut behind it and it seems to help extend the life of the resistor when running an ign with lots of spark.

Allth ough my next ign setup will be multi spark,maybe an Msd.

caveman, nice to see that your installation and mine would match...I installed the electronic ignition kit in my '64 back in about 1996, to replace a worn distributor...ran so much better it was amazing. Looking at where you have your electronics box, it's as if we used a template.

-
Back