MPP m1 vs edelbrock air gap

-
Ok , your cam doesn't bother me much. Like I said, I don't care for the split, but I know why they do it.

The next question is did you VERIFY the intake centerline on the cam. IIRC, most of those grinds called out for an ICL 2 degrees ahead of the lobe separation angle. If so, that means your cam should be in at 106. I've run the 292 cam as far ahead as 8 degrees so it went in at a 100 ICL.

Now we are getting somewhere though.

Ok , your cam doesn't bother me much. Like I said, I don't care for the split, but I know why they do it.

The next question is did you VERIFY the intake centerline on the cam. IIRC, most of those grinds called out for an ICL 2 degrees ahead of the lobe separation angle. If so, that means your cam should be in at 106. I've run the 292 cam as far ahead as 8 degrees so it went in at a 100 ICL.

Now we are getting somewhere though.

it may be on a 106 im not 100% sure to be honest. would degreeing the cam make any changes in performance?

Small and minor but also meaningful as it becomes step number one in the process.

@skrews I agree. IMO, that intake has no biz being there. To bad MP biggies would never admit to it and provide what should be there, a RPM-AG.
The dual plane M1 is t up to it as well.

getting approx .050 durarion by multypling by a factor (on a MP/DC cam) is BS
needing .050 withought knowing the intensity is also BS
.050 is mstly useful for degreeing a cam and a really approximate size estimate due to the widely available intensities
and MP may be all over the place of the actual ICL vs the advertised
so
do figure your mechanical compression
post your cranking compression
what is your best max advance with fuel you race with
degree your cam to MP spec unless comp is less than expected then advance a little
if you think you need a longer cam retard your current cam 4 degrees and report changes in times at all distences report change in compression etc
you certainly can get a cam with more area under the curve at your current duration- if that is the correct one
playing with your icl is essentially free
then thing about cam gears converter
report what you find

it may be on a 106 im not 100% sure to be honest. would degreeing the cam make any changes in performance?

It can. I wouldn't be afraid to run it at 102 or even 100 and use a single plane intake long before I left it at 106 and ran a dual plane intake.

Yes, it says so in the MP motor books. Which make that cam seem fairly stout at .050. 288x.850= 244.8. 292x.850=248.2. Kim

Don't you believe it! No tellin where that thing will come up on a wheel.

As YR said, most MPP cams have an installed centerline 2 degrees smaller than the LSA. However that is not a one size fits all. It's a one size fits most. BUT..here is the problem...most guys that are paying 500$ for half a day on a dyno aren't going to change the cam timing and do more pulls because it's a pita with most setups, but you are likely leaving performance on the table by not doing so. Sometimes you can guess and hit a sweet spot if you have pror experience and make that decision based on the whole combo. I.e. run a single plane intake and advance the CL a little more .

NOw..to answer your question.. Does 2 degrees of ignition timing make a difference in performance? Rhetorical, and that's just spark. Imagine advancing the entire valvetrain movement.

to me on the TR vs SP v DP debate it depends on:
part throttle response/ driving
pulling the boat up the boat ramp
getting the motorhome going up a hill
cold weather operation (fi helps a bunch)
if you have to advance a cam a bunch you may have the wrong cam
make a difference? depends on how far off it is from being correct for you

I like this article a bit. The only problem I see is the small cam but it does demonstrate the difference can be between manifolds. I’d like to see a couple of larger cams.

And a couple of different carbs. I think I read that article before and they use the same carb.

If the carb is correctly carb'd for the dual plane it will be too big for the single plane.

And a couple of different carbs. I think I read that article before and they use the same carb.

If the carb is correctly carb'd for the dual plane it will be too big for the single plane.

Too big or to fat?

Being the dual plane is more restrictive it isn't going to want a restriction above it. So I'm guessing you need more cfm on top of the dual plane than you do on top of the single?

Semi disagree. Well, actually mostly...
Are we drag racing or grocery getting?

Too big or to fat?

Being the dual plane is more restrictive it isn't going to want a restriction above it. So I'm guessing you need more cfm on top of the dual plane than you do on top of the single?

Yes. The dual plane effectively cuts the carb in half where the single plane is giving you the full carb all the time.

If it was me i would run about a 4500 flash convertor with that combo. Would have a very good shot at picking up the lazy 60 foot, and thus the ET quite a bit.
I too have a 360. Its barely over 10 to 1 with very mildly massaged eddies.
I weigh 500 pounds more at the line than you and have been 11.20’s through mufflers. Run an airgap
Shift at 6200, vert flashes 5000, car 60 foots 1.52-1.55 depending on time of year.
Never seen a healthy smallblock that doesn't like convertor.

The convertor flash isn't really magical. 500rpm over where the engine makes peak torque is optimal for 1/4 mile, assuming the chassis will take it.

For the street, compromise often occurs

-
Back