Mr Gasket Vertigate question.

-

Turbo440Dart

crank runner over-er
Reaction score
Are the shifters all physically the same? I’m assuming it’s just the mounting plate/rods/etc that’s different from vehicle to vehicle. Have my eyes on a V gate to stash for my duster and want to make sure before I scoop it up. I know I’ll need the correct mounting plate and rods but thought I’d at least knock the shifter out for now. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the shifters are the same. I have one in mine. Needed the kit to install it for a a-body. The only thing is finding the correct mounting plate and rods plus the operating levers.

I agree that the shifters might be the same. I picked one up in a wrecking yard years ago, it was in a 67 Chevelle. I bought the installation kit and shift rods for my 68 Barracuda.

As far as I know the shifters are the same. I have one in mine. Needed the kit to install it for a a-body. The only thing is finding the correct mounting plate and rods plus the operating levers.

I was almost positive that was the case, just wanted to make sure. I appreciate it

I made my own shift rods and just reused the reverse rod from my normal Hurst shifter. I also had someone put their mounting plate on a piece of paper and trace it and just made my own out of steel...

I made my own shift rods and just reused the reverse rod from my normal Hurst shifter. I also had someone put their mounting plate on a piece of paper and trace it and just made my own out of steel...

That seems a lot easier to do than find the correct parts. I’m just starting to gather parts for a 4 speed swap so I got a ways to go but the shifter seems like it’ll be the thorn in my side for the process so I wanted to get ahead of the curve.

That seems a lot easier to do than find the correct parts. I’m just starting to gather parts for a 4 speed swap so I got a ways to go but the shifter seems like it’ll be the thorn in my side for the process so I wanted to get ahead of the curve.
LOL buying the shifter is the easy part...
For a v gate the shift rods are perfectly straight for the one two and three four..
Althread with heim joints usually works fine.
Here's a few of the problems with a v gate.. one you'll have to cut more out of your tunnel than the little oval hole you'd have for a normal four-speed shifter..
Now to get those rods perfectly straight with the shifter means that the shifter has to come over towards you about 3 inches...
For a tall person like myself with long legs this means every time I pick my foot up off the gas pedal and onto the brake or back my knee wants to hit the shifter.. or worse get pinned between the shifter and the factory steering wheel...
When I drag raced with it it was perfect never missed a shift very useful, for the street after some time it just became more of a pain in the butt... And don't get me wrong it was cool and all and there was no questioning the cool Factor but in the end after holding on to it for a couple years after not using it I finally sold it to someone that wanted it...

LOL buying the shifter is the easy part...
For a v gate the shift rods are perfectly straight for the one two and three four..
Althread with heim joints usually works fine.
Here's a few of the problems with a v gate.. one you'll have to cut more out of your tunnel than the little oval hole you'd have for a normal four-speed shifter..
Now to get those rods perfectly straight with the shifter means that the shifter has to come over towards you about 3 inches...
For a tall person like myself with long legs this means every time I pick my foot up off the gas pedal and onto the brake or back my knee wants to hit the shifter.. or worse get pinned between the shifter and the factory steering wheel...
When I drag raced with it it was perfect never missed a shift very useful, for the street after some time it just became more of a pain in the butt... And don't get me wrong it was cool and all and there was no questioning the cool Factor but in the end after holding on to it for a couple years after not using it I finally sold it to someone that wanted it...

I’ve been warned about them being a pain, but I’m stubborn and young enough I’ll deal with it for the cool factor. They’re before my time but I’ve always wanted one so I’m set on it. Probably pick the shifter up Sunday and just keep plucking away at all the bits and pieces. Guess the benefit is, it’s going in my “beater” so it’ll make a good anti theft device.

I’ve been warned about them being a pain, but I’m stubborn and young enough I’ll deal with it for the cool factor. They’re before my time but I’ve always wanted one so I’m set on it. Probably pick the shifter up Sunday and just keep plucking away at all the bits and pieces. Guess the benefit is, it’s going in my “beater” so it’ll make a good anti theft device.
Oh I hear ya... When I wanted one I had to have it and there was no stopping me LOL... I loved it and thought it was the coolest until it wasn't LOL....

What trans are you using? We have two of them . Don't waist time suck that thing up . They are getting hard to find. We are going to use one in the 66 Valiant with a 70 b-body patriot Hemi box. Shift without the clutch. I used them in the past.

You'll love it if you like ripping gears with the throttle flat out like a wild man . What I can tell you is the brass forks won't hold up. I replaced mine with steel forks from the later transmissions 71 and newer. I just cut the ends off steel forks used on the scissor style side cover to use the forks on the ball and detent side cover

I really enjoyed my days of street racing in the 70's with a VertiGate shifter. I takes practice to street race a stick car, but now days I drive a stick diesel one ton and it's fun also...

I really enjoyed my days of street racing in the 70's with a VertiGate shifter. I takes practice to street race a stick car, but now days I drive a stick diesel one ton and it's fun also...
My diesels remind me of the old big block 4 spd cars. We have two 2005 six speeds with tuners, One 3500 single and a 3500 dually
Both are g56's and South Bend twin discs. Bought them new and been all over the country with them.

100_0060.JPG

100_0061.JPG

100_0062 (2).JPG

106_0899.JPG

106_0900.JPG

106_0901.JPG

106_0902.JPG

Look around and see if you can find a Hurst Ram Rod. Certainly if the price is right I’d snatch the Vertigate right up, but the Ram Rod is a smaller shifter (by far) and it’s a better mechanism.

Sadly, they are harder to find than a Vertigate and usually way more expensive. I found my here on FABO for a song and a dance so I grabbed it. And someone here makes the transmission mount for them. I forget who so I apologize to him for forgetting.

And remember, all vertigate shifters are in-line shifters, but not all inline shifters are Vertigates. As in the Ram Rod. It’s an in-line shifter but it’s not a vertigate.

Look around and see if you can find a Hurst Ram Rod. Certainly if the price is right I’d snatch the Vertigate right up, but the Ram Rod is a smaller shifter (by far) and it’s a better mechanism.

Sadly, they are harder to find than a Vertigate and usually way more expensive. I found my here on FABO for a song and a dance so I grabbed it. And someone here makes the transmission mount for them. I forget who so I apologize to him for forgetting.

And remember, all vertigate shifters are in-line shifters, but not all inline shifters are Vertigates. As in the Ram Rod. It’s an in-line shifter but it’s not a vertigate.
Do you have any idea which Mr Gasket shifter this is RB? The shifts are nice and short, but I can’t find any info on it.

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

Putting one in my 67 barracuda. Had a pic. Didn`t have to cut much out of the hole to fit. I`ve got a pattern of the plate. I`ll try and shoot a pic of it tonight. I`d grab the shifter if I were you. Had mine over 25 years.

I sold my installation kit as I never thought I'd put one back in my car, wrong gotta have some more fun. Made a copy of the plate and dimensions of standoff.

V gate1.jpg

v gate2.jpg

I had one in my '66 Ranchero. Since they are a "universal" shifter the install kits weren't very specific to vehicle models. At the time it was just a shifter for a Ford T&C or T 10 or Saginaw, whatever. My Ranchero was a factory 4 speed, but still I had to make sizable adjustments to the tunnel opening. Lets put it this way, it was very helpful having friends in the HVAC business for their sheet metal skills :lol: Great shifter though :thumbsup:

The red X with no explanation. I'm crying a big bag of tears.... :rolleyes:

I can explain it. But, since you said it’s a “race” only shifter why not expound on that? You said it. You explain it.

Once you do that, I will explain why it’s not a “race” only shifter.

I can explain it. But, since you said it’s a “race” only shifter why not expound on that? You said it. You explain it.

Once you do that, I will explain why it’s not a “race” only shifter.
Now don't change my words to suit your narrative here I said it's "great" for drag racing only...
I did not say what you said, it's a race only shifter. you can use it for whatever the you want to, but after having a vertigate a pistol grip, a normal ball shifter in my car for many, many years on the street on the drag strip and so forth and after some time of daily driving it, you get tired or I do, of jacking that vertigate off trying to downshift it. And/or turn around somewhere where you have to pop it in neutral, pop it in the reverse pop it out of reverse pull up the lever, get up in the first gear and take off. It just is a nightmare for anything but Drag Racing. But you can use it for whatever you want. Enjoy it.. I did till I didn't...

Now don't change my words to suit your narrative here I said it's "great" for drag racing only...
I did not say what you said, it's a race only shifter. you can use it for whatever the you want to, but after having a vertigate a pistol grip, a normal ball shifter in my car for many, many years on the street on the drag strip and so forth and after some time of daily driving it, you get tired or I do, of jacking that vertigate off trying to downshift it. And/or turn around somewhere where you have to pop it in neutral, pop it in the reverse pop it out of reverse pull up the lever, get up in the first gear and take off. It just is a nightmare for anything but Drag Racing. But you can use it for whatever you want. Enjoy it.. I did till I didn't...

Drag race is a “race” no? So I didn’t change your words one bit. You might have struggled with it, but it’s a simple device. I can’t say why you struggle to downshift with one. It’s no more difficult than an H pattern shifter.

Reverse is pretty simple too.

I don’t get the struggle.

-
Back