MSD 7-AL with 2 step

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Anybody running the MSD 7-AL with 2 step?How do you like it over the 6-AL?Are they worth the money?I,m trying to get consistant R/T this season and thinking about changing to this box.Thanks for any insight/ideas.:D

We've been running the 7AL2 with a 2 step since 2001 in the I C/M Dakota. It has been extremely reliable and our R/T dropped versus true foot braking. The best time on the Dakota was 11.21, 122 mph, w 1.49 R/T.

Bill S.

We've been running the 7AL2 with a 2 step since 2001 in the I C/M Dakota. It has been extremely reliable and our R/T dropped versus true foot braking. The best time on the Dakota was 11.21, 122 mph, w 1.49 R/T.

Bill S.
You said it dropped? What was it before? I would possible like to upgrade soon as well.

That is the best time to date. As a true foot brake it was in the low to mid 1.5 60'. Sorry for the confusion.

Bill S.

That is the best time to date. As a true foot brake it was in the low to mid 1.5 60'. Sorry for the confusion.

Bill S.
So you just got more consistant? Did the 1/4 improve along with the 60ft?

O.K you guys are getting RT(Reaction Times)and 60fts mixed up.I,m looking to get my reaction times(lights on the tree)down.:eek:ops:

Practice tree will help reaction times and lots of practice.
I think what they are trying to say is going from a foot braking the car -coming off brake pedal VS's going to a 2 step helped.
A 2 step sort works like transbrake kind of . Stay on it too long and you hurt the motor.
NHRA Stock races use 2 steps -well did
Most Foot brake classes will not let you use them.
It just a box that goes into a MSD box 7al or 6 box and has high RPM spot for a chip and Low RPM spot for a chip . Put a button on the brake pedal or on the steering wheel
attached to low RPM active wire -put the loud pedal to the floor and it will hit the chip -low side -last yellow let go of the button and launch!

O.K you guys are getting RT(Reaction Times)and 60fts mixed up.I,m looking to get my reaction times(lights on the tree)down.:eek:ops:
Im not gettign anything mixed up. I know what they both are, but I wanted to see if his 60ft and better reaction time equated to a beter 1/4 time.

Practice tree will help reaction times and lots of practice.
I think what they are trying to say is going from a foot braking the car -coming off brake pedal VS's going to a 2 step helped.
A 2 step sort works like transbrake kind of . Stay on it too long and you hurt the motor.
NHRA Stock races use 2 steps -well did
Most Foot brake classes will not let you use them.
It just a box that goes into a MSD box 7al or 6 box and has high RPM spot for a chip and Low RPM spot for a chip . Put a button on the brake pedal or on the steering wheel
attached to low RPM active wire -put the loud pedal to the floor and it will hit the chip -low side -last yellow let go of the button and launch!

Is this just as bad as a transbreak on the transmission?

pettybludart, I run a 6al2 with a two step, and I've tried it a few times, but it just broke my rhythm, and made my r/t worse. So I just foot braked the car for most of the season.
But hopefully I can make it out early this year, and try and work with it a little more.

Im not gettign anything mixed up. I know what they both are, but I wanted to see if his 60ft and better reaction time equated to a beter 1/4 time.

reaction times have no bearing on 1/4 times....

I just changed out a msd 6al2 to a msd 7al2 along with the two step and new coil on the 71 Dart...

but the weather is nice in vegas ...so the drag strip is not opened....first test n tune is feb 25.....

i have not even started the car up with the new ignition..

If you have a 6al with 2 step...dont really think it is going to do much for your reaction time...as long as the engine is not loading up on the starting line...

Are you leaving currently leaving off a transbrake with a two step or footbraking ?

Glad to hear of your upgrade Tony.I need to concentrate on the light instead of watching RPM,this is why I want to make the change to the 2 step.Keep me updated on how your car reacts.

Glad to hear of your upgrade Tony.I need to concentrate on the light instead of watching RPM,this is why I want to make the change to the 2 step.Keep me updated on how your car reacts.

That is what i was thinking...the 2 step lets you forget about starting line rpms....

dont know how much it will change your reaction time but it should be a improvement.. as well as going from the 7al to the 7 digital... the digital makes more power (voltage wise) then the 7al and the 7al makes more power then the 6al...plus all the extra stuff 2step hook up and all that... i have both 6al and 7al have not used the 7al as of yet but did some reading on them and thinking of getting the digital 7 for the added voltage...but thats just me more voltage, more fuel can be burned, more power ..............mike :glasses7:

al so the digital has more hook ups than the 7al ,,,2step i think 3 step and so on ....

Well I bought the 7AL Plus(2-Step) 2 weeks ago and it arrived today(Snail mail).Now to get this wired up with a launch RPM button.This should be interesting.LOL.Can the RPM pills be bought in lower than 3000 RPM mode?I usually get my best launches leaving around 2200 RPM(with an 8 inch 4500 stall)

I had 2 of the MSD-7c's a while ago from a sale, never ran them. They had the Mopar 5 pin ECU conector on them! I sold them for peanuts......maybe the 5 prong plug scared some buyers? THey were huge.

I had 2 of the MSD-7c's a while ago from a sale, never ran them. They had the Mopar 5 pin ECU conector on them! I sold them for peanuts......maybe the 5 prong plug scared some buyers? THey were huge.
Can,t say I,ve seen any MSD with the 5 prong for ECU before.What year were they made?

Yes...there were 7C and 6C made ...been years....I have a msd 6c on the shelf i bought back in 1980...still works the last time i tested...

mds makes a low rpm module...that you adjust the starting line rpm with a potentiometer,,,it is set at 3000 rpm from msd...then each turn is suppose to be 100 rpm ...l think.....

anyway...I bought one...and it did not work very good...so I took it back....but as they say...your results maybe different...LOL

-
Back