MSD Atomic fuel injection

-

Duster Drag Car

Reaction score
Anybody running the MSD Atomic fuel injection on there SBM, if so What do you think of it? Wondering if it adds hp it was dynode with a 780 Holley made 430 hp the guy I bought the car from said the engine builder said the fuel injection would add up to 40 hp I quess I'll have to have it dynode again to know for sure.

DSCN0329.JPG

IMG_5850.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of mine is running it on a 360 crate engine and seems happy with it.

Mike
Thanks I just bought the car and its winter here in Connecticut have not drove the car that much Ill do some testing in the spring might go back to carburation unless I like it!

I have one on a 340. Its running on an engine stand but wont go in the car for a while. All I can say is it starts instantly and sounds VERY strong. I bumped it the other day when it was 30° outside and it fired right up....amazing.
I dont think there is any real HP gains over a carb. The difference is with a carb you have to tune and tweak where the FI is self tweaking.So really I guess there could be HP gains if your not a good carb tuner. I hate fiddling with carbs so the FI was right up my alley.
So far I am 100 percent happy with it and so glad I went this route. It really is simple to install. Btw, I went with the Aeromotive fuel pump assembly since it seems to be what everyone recommends. Easy installation on that as well.
Im just running mech advance on mine right now. Once I get it in the car I will lock out my distributor and let the msd control the timing. Since I was breaking in a new engine I did not want to add another variable to the mix.

I have one on a 340. Its running on an engine stand but wont go in the car for a while. All I can say is it starts instantly and sounds VERY strong. I bumped it the other day when it was 30° outside and it fired right up....amazing.
I dont think there is any real HP gains over a carb. The difference is with a carb you have to tune and tweak where the FI is self tweaking.So really I guess there could be HP gains if your not a good carb tuner. I hate fiddling with carbs so the FI was right up my alley.
So far I am 100 percent happy with it and so glad I went this route. It really is simple to install. Btw, I went with the Aeromotive fuel pump assembly since it seems to be what everyone recommends. Easy installation on that as well.
Im just running mech advance on mine right now. Once I get it in the car I will lock out my distributor and let the msd control the timing. Since I was breaking in a new engine I did not want to add another variable to the mix.
thanks for the input

No way just the electronic fuel injection will add 40HP... it CAN (and most probably will) improve cold start, provide a nice AF map across the rev range, result in better throttle response dadada, but not give you an additional 40 horses.

Edit: everybody beat me to it...

Too many variables to make any blanket statements....... If you can put on a bigger throttle body, and use the EFI to make it idle and run through mid range well, then with big enough injectors for sure you are gonna get more peak HP at WOT with the bigger TB. Of course, you gotta have the cam, etc. to breathe the increased air.... and so on and so on.

We don't know what cam,headers, etc. that the OP has. So saying it will/won't do more HP is kinda like saying a bigger carb will not make more HP.. maybe it will and maybe it won't.

its a proven fact that the only way efi will add hp is if your tune isn't right to begin with.. can't argue that....

it can and will improve cold starts, adjust to different conditions and things like that..

Too many variables to make any blanket statements....... If you can put on a bigger throttle body, and use the EFI to make it idle and run through mid range well, then with big enough injectors for sure you are gonna get more peak HP at WOT with the bigger TB. Of course, you gotta have the cam, etc. to breathe the increased air.... and so on and so on.

We don't know what cam,headers, etc. that the OP has. So saying it will/won't do more HP is kinda like saying a bigger carb will not make more HP.. maybe it will and maybe it won't.
Howards cam .558 intake .558 exhaust 238, duration hooker super comp headers ,Edelbrock RPM heads, Edelbrock Rpm intake

I didn,t think so myself, was just putting it out there, seems to run good and makes it a little different than most sbm ,would not be hard to change back to carb at some point

-
Back