MSD Blaster 2 with electronic ignition

-

dusterdragracer

Drag Racer
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck running a Blaster 2 coil with a stock Chrysler electronic ignition system? It say's it is supose to work with electronic ignitions, as long as you don't run the balast resistor.Their balast resistor is to be used with points only.
I spent tons of time on the net, and couldn't find any straight answers, even at the MSD web sight.There are several conflicting stories about which combo of balast resistors to use with it.
I put one on my wifes 360 race Dart, and it starting craping on the dyno at about 5,000 RPM's. We switched back to the stock coil with no issues, then switched back, and it started craping again.It did this with any combo of Balast resistors, and also with no Balast resistors.
We took it back and got another new one, which it is still in the packaging, so if they don't work I want to sell it as new.Just wondering if the 1st one was DOA, or they just don't work with electronic ign.
](*,)

The Blaster2 (small kinda square?) is for racing only. It's not made for sustained use.

yes..i have one on my duster with a mopar chrome box....it is street driven...

I am using a ballast resistor.

did you have the positive and negative wire on correctly.....just asking....

Absolutly it was hooked correctly.Hot brown wire to positive, black yellow to negative.Same way it is hooked now with stock coil. Also had correct voltage at coil.

........What do call the correct voltage?........I've ran them on a few cars, no problems, up to 7000 rpm.......using the chrome or orange or blue box.........kim........

I run one on my Sport, factory ignition, no problems. I run the ballast as well. It seems to me it needs a certain OHM ballast, although I don't remember what it is. Have you called their Tech Line?

Thanks for all your inputs. I am going to leave it at "It was a bad coil out of the box" They exchanged it for a new one, but I am selling it on Ebay un-opened. The car is running fine with stock coil. My wife is # 3 in the points at our Summit series in Pro class. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
As for the voltage, it depened on which combo of balast resistors I used, which as I mentioned,didn't make a diff.
Voltage was 4.5 not running to 5.9. Or revved up, 8-9.5 volts, again depending on which combo of either stock 1.2 omhs only, or stock and their .8 omhs, or only their .8 ohms. or none.It didn't matter, it crapped on the dyno @ 5,000 RPM's, till we switched back to stock. Then switched again it crapped.Go figure.

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread! I took my car to the track last night & it was displaying the EXACT same symptoms as bajavan described with his 360! My car would usually pull clean to 6000 rpm. but last night at the track it would only rev to 5000, then start sputtering & fall on it's face. I figured it was a fuel delivery problem, but the only change I had made was the (wait for it) MSD Blaster II coil ! Oh well, that's why they call it "test "N" tune right? LOL!

I thought 8202 was the part # (same as a chebbie)?
Pretty sure that's what I'm running (with an orange box and stock ballast).
Sees 6000RPM regularly, no trouble.

8202 is the same, 8203 comes with a few parts and the balast resistor. Wierd that some peoples worked and some didn't. That is why I put this out there.
Even though they say they work with electronic ign. they must not be compadable with Chrysler.

Just out of curiosity, after having a terminal problem recently, I decided to "test" some of the spares I have. I had been running a real orange box (probably 35+years old) and Accel Super Stock coil. That's when I switched to the #8202 Blaster, all good. Then I switched to a (Chinese?) ProForm orange box to try that, again all good. I had no noticeable difference with any combination of parts.
Maybe you did get a bad coil? I'd be inclined to at least try the new one and if all good, keep it as a spare...

Thanks 71 beater.
I have 2 spare stock coils & 2 control boxes always with us.. I put the Balster on just to do something nice & new for my wife. I don't want to open the brand new one we got exchanged for,and use it, as I am selling it as "new unopened" on Ebay at the moment.Had I bought it from Summit or Jegs, I would send it back for a credit. Our local store won't take returns only exchanges.We will loose money on this whole ordeal all around.
I really don't trust it, many say they are imported junk now anyway.As for testing again. We get 3 time trails,and we are racing for Summit points. My wife is tied for 3rd at the moment.Every good run counts.
As I mentioned, if it ain't broke don't fix it.We wasted 3 hours of dyno time ($125.00 hr.) chasing our butts, scratching our heads over this stupid coil issue. We were also wasting all of that time when could have been tunning.We should have only been there 1- 1 1/2 hrs max.
I had just rebuilt her 750 D.P., but switched back to her good 650 D.P. when the issue started. We never got the 750 tuned to the car completly as we left the 650 on it.I had to leave for a job, and it made me late as it was.
We now know the 750 is good because my buddy was struggling with his carb. We stuck our 750 on his car and it fixed his problem. He even went to the final and won Pro last sat. night!
It is hard to believe we got a bad coil right out of the box new, but after seeing Hypermites post I question that.
But thanks for all the input again, you guys are great.

I bought an MSD Blaster 2 Coil a few months ago and tried it in my 1965 Plymouth Valiant - 273 V8. I pulled an 8 ohm ballast resistor off my '86 Dodge W150 Truck and swaped the stock resistor out of the Valiant for the 8 ohm. I have points ignition still, but things didn't go so well when I got everything hooked up with the MSD Coil. You can see a video of the Valiant running on my youtube channel - gwmax11, and see the ballast resistor glowing red like the back burner. Evidently my voltage regulator went out after trying it for about half an hour. I pulled the coil from my 360 in the '86 Dodge and put the stock ballast resistor back in the Valiant to find it running without any problems other than my head lights brighter than ever from a fried voltage regulator, which was replaced the following week and worked fine. I will be converting my stock points igniton to the standard '73 Mopar electronic ignition. My question is, do you still need an 8 ohm ballast resistor for the MSD Blaster 2 coil when using a standard electronic ignition system? The instructions didn't say you need to have the MSD ignition box to run this coil, nor did it say it would be ok to run on a standard elelectronic ignition system with the MSD Blaster 2 Coil.

MSD Blaster 2 here, no problems with chrome box and stock ballast resistor....as far as i know the ballast resistor should be used on the street.

Michael

Has anyone here tried the MSD Blaster 2 Coil (8202) on a Mopar stock electronic ignition system without the ballast resistor, and doesn't have any problems? I've heard possibilities of coils exploding from doing this over a short period of time driving on the street without a ballast, while using a standard coil. Didn't know if the MSD Blaster 2 Coil is built to withstand a higher current all the time without the assistance of a ballast resistor upon a stock Mopar electronic ignition system. I may just play it safe and go with the ballast resistor, but by all means, if it works without, more power to the plugs. :-D

-
Back