msd ignition

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I have a question for the knows of everyone here. I am building a car for my wife to run at our local track. 1974 Dart Swinger, it will start out with a mild 318/727 combo 8-384 with 4:10's. This will let her have some seat time and get used to the car and the routine. Later, after a year or so I will step it up for her so she can go faster hopefully mid to high 10's. My question is this, what distributor and ignition combo do I get now that would work for both. I really don't want to have to purchase one now and then too. Any ideas ??????

Accell, Mallory, MSD, Pertronix, Davis DUI all make distributors that are self contained, that is, they do not need a seperate control box. Hook up power coil and ground and you are ready to run. They all have fully adjustable mechanical advance mechanisms that will accommodate an engine from mild to wild. They can also be used with a CD ignition box like those from MSD, Mallory or Crane.

The other option that will save a few bucks is to use a Mopar Performance distributor. This unit also has a fully adjustable mechanical advance but will need to be used with either a stock type control box or an aftermarket CD box. But this distributor is more than adequate for mild to pretty wild applications.

Well said dgc. From where I see him standing now, your cheapest way to get going now is just a MP Chome box and resister.

Use what ya got gipp.

dgc, doesn't MSD make a distrib. with rev control on the distrib. itself now? I thought I seen such a thing.

They have a fully digital distributor that you adjust the timing curve with pots, I wouldn't be suprised if it also has a rev limiter built in. But, that is a pricey unit.

it allso depends what you want to build....do you need 1 or 2 rev. limiters (trans brake,topend),start retarder,timing retarder for NOS/boost..... if you don't need any....stick to the mopar stuff,way easyer to find...and not too $$$$$$$$$$$$$

im in the 10's with an old chrome box and stock MP dist. Got a msd rev limiter on it for cheap insurance ($25 used) .

you can put any factory electronic dist. in it and any ecu and run fine . Or get a cheap used Orange ecu

just yank out the thick spring of the factory dist.

I forgot guys--is the lean burn dist. the same ?

The lean burn dist is a fixed unit (live shaft) no mechanical advance (handy for some drag applications).

-
Back