msd or mopar hei ?

-
Eric, that was enlightening and stiffening! You got those off photobucket didn't you? I think I saw them too. Sorry for the change of subject guys!

fyi- i ordered the FBO a688 kit. 5pc.- box,coil,cap,rotor&bal.resis. 130.00+s&h (wish me luck and same to you)

Good deal! I was unaware of this system.
FBO looks like a good “compromise”. And that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Life is full to them.
See, this post was successful in spreading information.
Light has been shed on the subject and not just “heat”.
(The Internet spreads information but were does one get wisdom?)

Nice headlights by the way.
Artificial light though???

If you really want to know which is more reliable and works better just go to your local race track,where you'll find probably 9 out of ten cars running msd systems,and for good reasons...

If you really want to know which is more reliable and works better just go to your local race track,where you'll find probably 9 out of ten cars running msd systems,and for good reasons...

can`t argue that, like you said race track. if my car were a race track only car, no doubt would i use an msd set up. i just don`t trust them for a lot of road use. seen too many go bad on the road. thanks

being a shop, i have installed about 15 systems this year so far. well, i have have had only 2 bad distributors that were the 1 same chevy part #. other than that, no problems. a 6a box, a blaster ss or original canister style coil, and a 2 wire distributor is a 95%+ solid system. i think that fbo has a great system for chrysler style ignitions, but for a different type, i choose msd for its versatility on the spot. tuning is easier. once tuned, i bet there is hardly a noticeable difference once punching it to wot. but to each their own. original or aftermarket??

I think the term is “burn in”. That is what they call seeing if electronic devices are going to fail.
The theory is if it works for a year, it probably will work forever.

My feeling it that getting stranded sucks.
One wrecker ride is one to many for me.
Most people can afford to carry a spare “Chrysler” box. Just like we carry a spare resistor. Junk yards just about give them away.
These days better safe than sorry.
The FBO site uses plug and go as a selling point.

Keep it “stock” and carry a spare. (Or at least know that you can get one).
I got stranded with an MSD. It was in heat/intermittent problem.
MSD did send me a replacement.
But since I already had the money invested, I wired a Chrysler box in for back up with a terminal strip if I need to change the wires over because the MSD acted up.
Once bitten, twice shy.

I have the Accel 300+ ignition on my ride and I tried to wire in the Chrysler box as a back up but the car wouldn't run on it but run on the performance box. I still would like to set up a back up because that would beat the heck out of being stranded. I could buy another Accel box just for a spare but that would easily be over $200 for sure. I would like to know how you wired yours up please. I ran a switch to the boxes to cut one off and then cut the other on but it did not work. I hooked both boxes to the distributer wires and I think this where the problem was. The Chrysler box would not receive the distributer but the performance box would. ??? I hope you understand what I'm talking about. What do you mean by terminal strip? I think I do but not sure.

I have the Accel 300+ ignition on my ride and I tried to wire in the Chrysler box as a back up but the car wouldn't run on it but run on the performance box. I still would like to set up a back up because that would beat the heck out of being stranded. I could buy another Accel box just for a spare but that would easily be over $200 for sure. I would like to know how you wired yours up please. I ran a switch to the boxes to cut one off and then cut the other on but it did not work. I hooked both boxes to the distributer wires and I think this where the problem was. The Chrysler box would not receive the distributer but the performance box would. ??? I hope you understand what I'm talking about. What do you mean by terminal strip? I think I do but not sure.

All I did was put a terminal strip on the firewall with “tongue” type connectors. You know the ones with holes in them. The strip had number 8 machine screw studs. (We used them a lot in my old avionics job) And I ran all the wires to that point and made a connection there. (Except the unused Chrysler wires were just stowed there for emergency)
This way I could swap wire connections if needed.
If the MSD ever gave me a problem I could just remove it and power up the necessary wires for the Chrysler system.
I carried prints that I drew up (I modified the Chrysler ones) with step-by-step instructions for moving wires based on terminal numbers.
Then I wouldn’t have to try and remember how to move the wires around on the side of the road if I needed to. Fortunately, I never had to use the back up with my replacement MSD box..
But then again I didn’t drive that car very much.
When the car got hot the original MSD wouldn’t run. But I could swap it over to the Chrysler system and it would start and run.
The Chrysler would work and not the MSD. I have an idea why, but it is just a theory. I do know this modification worked for my piece of mind.
I sold that 340 Challenger several years ago. I could look around and see if I have some copies of the prints I drew up and email them to you,.
They might not help you specifically for your Excel but they would let you visualize what I am trying to say and see how to do it. You would have to noodle the particulars out for the Excel. I am not familiar with the Excel unit.
But I would imagine that you would have to completely disconnect it from your system and connect the Chrysler system up and vise versa.
Your car certainly wouldn’t run them both at once.
It is just a few wires and easier than it sounds.
Again it wasn’t just about the cost to me, it was that wrecker and hassle thing.
(Although I admit to not wanting to buy another MSD for that car which I might NEVER need)

All I did was put a terminal strip on the firewall with “tongue” type connectors. You know the ones with holes in them. The strip had number 8 machine screw studs. (We used them a lot in my old avionics job) And I ran all the wires to that point and made a connection there. (Except the unused Chrysler wires were just stowed there for emergency)
This way I could swap wire connections if needed.
If the MSD ever gave me a problem I could just remove it and power up the necessary wires for the Chrysler system.
I carried prints that I drew up (I modified the Chrysler ones) with step-by-step instructions for moving wires based on terminal numbers.
Then I wouldn’t have to try and remember how to move the wires around on the side of the road if I needed to. Fortunately, I never had to use the back up with my replacement MSD box..
But then again I did'nt’t drive that car very much.
When the car got hot the original MSD wouldn’t run. But I could swap it over to the Chrysler system and it would start and run.
The Chrysler would work and not the MSD. I have an idea why, but it is just a theory. I do know this modification worked for my piece of mind.
I sold that 340 Challenger several years ago. I could look around and see if I have some copies of the prints I drew up and email them to you,.
They might not help you specifically for your Excel but they would let you visualize what I am trying to say and see how to do it. You would have to noodle the particulars out for the Excel. I am not familiar with the Excel unit.
But I would imagine that you would have to completely disconnect it from your system and connect the Chrysler system up and vise versa.
Your car certainly wouldn’t run them both at once.
It is just a few wires and easier than it sounds.
Again it wasn’t just about the cost to me, it was that wrecker and hassle thing.
(Although I admit to not wanting to buy another MSD for that car which I might NEVER need)

That would be great if you can send me some info on that since you know the way you wired yours works. LOL! My email address is [email protected]

The main reason I would like to have a backup is because a friend of mine had a MSD distributer and box and the pick up went bad in the distributer. We was in Pigeon Forge TN and we live in Anderson SC. We was there because everyone was bringing the old cars to take the city over for the weekend. We had to order a part from Advance Auto to get it fixed but we couldn't go anywhere for a whole day but I was glad to get back home. It pays to have spare fuses,tools,parts and anything else that might just be there for rescue.

Ran MSD for years on my car and even swapped over stuff from my car to my truck, no failures yet. Not had the greatest luck with stock stuff and the MSD box is sold as an upgrade from mopar itself; supposedly the capacitive discharge ignition system gives a hotter spark as well.

I had 1 orange box failure. Sold to me by summit racing, they exchanged no problems.

The orange box is meant for a stock engine and not good for revs over 5500rpm.Burnt up two before I found this out and switched to a chrome back in 1990 and still running it.

My vote is for the MSD...I run a 6AL box, Blaster coil and their billet dist. I love it and has performed flawlessly for 5 years now.

Five years is no kind of test.I put mopar electronic in my dart back in 1984 and switched to the higher revving chrome box in 1990 ,and have had zero problems

I guess it comes down to what you prefer,or trust or works on your vehicle.. hench no mopar ignition items on my car..

The orange box is meant for a stock engine and not good for revs over 5500rpm.Burnt up two before I found this out and switched to a chrome back in 1990 and still running it.

You assume to much by quoteing me and I also agree with what you said on RPM limits. Though I know a few people here that will argue with what you wrote.

The Orange box is sold as a performance item, not stock replacement.
I've been running a chrome box nearly as long.

Hey mullinax95, I sent you the prints. I didn’t hear back from you. I’ll assume you got them. Squawk if you didn’t get them.
I guess I should point out the reason that I even bought a “Multi-Spark Discharge" system.
The 340 was “cammed” with a double pumper and I was looking for something to make my plugs not foul so bad and help the idle.
It wasn’t a good street motor. It seemed like the MSD was an improvement over the stock box that was on the car. Never tired a sliver box on it.
But just like the poster originally asked, I still think “I’m better off” with a “stock” system in a car with regular motor that I actually plan to drive.
That is why I gave an opinion to him.

-
Back