Msd question

-

mopowermatt

mopowermatt
Reaction score
I had a question. I have a 64 dart it had a points ignition /6. Now I put an electronic dist. with an msd ignition and I'm not quite sure how to hook it up. I looked at this http://msdignition.com/pdf/6 series/pdf20.pdf but I don't know if that is right or if that is with a points dist. or electronic or what changes I have to make because I'm doing the conversion. Do I use the resistor? I'm just really unsure about the whole thing.

I haven't got the car finished yet so I can 't try to start it. I plan on finishing it this week sometime and maybe I'll start it next weekend I just don't want the msd to hold me back when I start it up for the first time and i want to go chevy hunting.

Before I got my car I think it was rewired by someone with the newer wiring system. It has a 3 wire alternator. Just thought I would let you know in case that changes anything.

THank you very much...

The picture shows a mopar electronic distributor. You can tell from the wires coming out of the dist. With this ignition, I believe you don't use the resistor.

Get rid of the resistor if your using the 6 or 6al box. But don't forget to
join the 2 wires from the resistor together or it won't stay running.

here ya go.. the lower picture is an electronic dist. i see alot of guys saying to get rid of the ballis but i have installed msd in quite a few cars and never removed it.. and never had a problem with it there... just follow the picture its pretty straight forward and easy..

msd102.jpg

msd102.jpg

In the MSD diagram, it shows black and orange wires coming from the distrib. Mine has black and grey wires...Is grey the same as orange for hook-up?

Yes the grey is the same as the orange, if you read the MSD instructions they will mention that.

Where you leave the ballast in or not will not impact the function of the MSD. The small read wire turns the MSD on and off and is a low current draw. However, leaving the ballast in is another place for for something to fail and since MSD gices you a nice big tail jumper wire why not use it and elminate the ballast from the circuit.

-
Back