Mufflers Without a Drone

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I'm looking for mufflers with a true 3" inlet/ outlet (have heard that some neckdown inside the muffler), that isn't to loud and doesn't have a drone. I have Magnaflow glasspacks on my 408 powered Jeep, I like them but they are just to loud for a daily drive.

I ran the old thrush turbo 400 for years...cannot find em and tried flowmaster, and magnaflow and both are too loud and drone...switched and bought dynomax super turbos

there not bad, quiet at idle and nice steady rumble at 3000 rpm at highway speed, no drone but a little loud at WOT for my liking....but my exhaust does dump right at ear level outside my windows. 2 and a half inch headpipes and 2 and a quarter tailpipes

Dynomaxs. 3in3out,offset 1 end. No drone. Not to loud to cruise 2400 to 3400. Not to loud at WOT with 360 and 10.7cr.They sound great when my son gets to working em.Screams at 7200. Well,not exactly a scream. Maybe a roaring jet engine.No thats not it either. Whatever it is I like it!

I have the Thrush 2-1/2 in & out.
They do neck down inside.

I just installed the VT's. Not yet driving the car.

i put borla xr1s on my duster, quiet at idle and light acceleration, and nice deep and loud on a heavy foot, no drone. they sound very tight, no hollow tin sound with them at all. i was actually hoping theyd be louder, but am satisfied. they are quite pricey i may say though.

Have 3 inch tti system with dyno max ultra flows.No drone can actually hear radio while driving but sound real good when you get in it

dynomax super turbo , not loud , can hear radio at 80 mph , no drone sounds good wot

What are mufflers? :)

Honestly though I have flowmasters 40s on my swinger. I am not the biggest fan of them though over all I just don't like the sound and I'm pretty sure they had a drone but it's been years probably since I had my cut outs capped.

On my mustang I have slp loudmouths. They are loud and sound great with the 4.6 but I have never heard them on another engine. From what you say you want though I would guess they are too loud.

If its too loud,,,,,then you are too old

Agreed, until the fuzz Fuzzes you,lol. Seen two high 9-low 10.0 rides, both run Walker Ultra Flo's. Both relatively quiet, around the street . My engine guy likes Magnaflows, sound too much like burnt out glasspacks.(it's all personal taste).Have you checked out ,the muffler sound byte thread here? Thinking Mopar exhaust forums,here(?)...

mufflers are always a tough thing - very subjective - I am running Flowtech 50560FLT Warlock BYPASS Series Racing Mufflers with 3" x 30" resonators, full 3" exhaust all the way out the back - TTi headers up front - kicks a$$ and surely doesn't drone. Maybe consider resonators with what you currently have..??

I'm looking for mufflers with a true 3" inlet/ outlet (have heard that some neckdown inside the muffler), that isn't to loud and doesn't have a drone. I have Magnaflow glasspacks on my 408 powered Jeep, I like them but they are just to loud for a daily drive.

I'm very happy with my 3" borlas.

My Barracuda had an annoying drone when I drove 60/65/70 on the highway. After I installed the 2004R the RPM dropped 800 RPM and the drone disappeared. I guess my point is that sometimes your rear gear (and engine RPM) can cause the problem??

treblig

If its too loud,,,,,then you are too old

..you're absolutely correct!
my current mufflers are no name 2 1/4 in and 1 5/8 out just like stock.
very quiet and at wot you can hear the unsilenced air cleaner moan
"you would think it's 1969!
...but that won't help you

Drone can be tough. Same muffler on one engine and exhaust configuration drones but not on another configuation. I had stock pipe configuation with three chambered performance mufflers on the 383 with a cam that had stock lift, twice the overlap, Rhoads lifters and single plane intake with no drone, Then restored car, had engine rebuilt with mild cam close to stock and same exhaust. Then it droned so bad it rattled your brain, hard to talk or do radio. Tried different mufflers and the only one that helped was Dynomax VT but it only decereased the drone 12db. Was better but still not good. Had to install side branch resonators and that worked so you can talk and listen to music. There's a thread here on my journey with the drone titled "Suggestions for muscle car sound muffler without drone".

If you are going to experiment with mufflers I would recommend Dynomax since a number of their models come with 90 day buy back if you are not happy. I tried the turbo ones before the VTs and they bought them back. They even had UPS pick them up. Nice deal since you don't know how you will like a muffler until you try it.

I have 2-1/2 Borlas and like them. I tried a a couple of Flow Masters 40s and Delta. They suck! Tried Thrush.... not pleased. A friend loaned me several sets of mufflers he had used so experimenting didn't cost me a fortune. He finally let me try the Borlas he was going to use on his street Mustang and I love them so I left 'em on and bought him new replacements for his build.

-
Back