My 1970 Duster 340 FM3 project

-
Did some assessments last night. Looks like I am going to need a hood and trunk lid in addition to the repro sheet metal (floors, trunk floor, and tail panel). The skins of both are decent enough but the undersides are rusty to the point I either need to replace both entirely or swap out the undersides if I cannot find suitable, correct replacements. Time to start hunting...

Also, the hood hinges are pretty whooped. Does anybody offer repro hood hinges for A-Bodies?

Gary,
-Subscribed.
-As mentioned prior, take pictures of everything, I'll add "before doing anything", except I'd wash everything real good.
-Start a folder for storage of pictures on PC.
-In that folder make subfolders, you might consider naming them and a date you started each one. Example: 1/14/21 reference pictures. 1/16/21 Disassembly.
-Say within "Disassembly" folder you make subfolders, date + section of car.
Last thought, get an inexpensive external hard drive and place copy of main picture folder on it. And everytime you add pictures to PC, don't forget to update external hard drive.

You never know when PC hard drive will crash...

Also, you know these things start with great plans to do it right and quickly. As you know life has a way of changing priorities.

Good luck on your awesome acquisition.

Had a friend (passed away) that had a Pink AAR... or was it a T/A ? Had a 30k mile Brown AAR as well .

Gary,
-Subscribed.
-As mentioned prior, take pictures of everything, I'll add "before doing anything", except I'd wash everything real good.
-Start a folder for storage of pictures on PC.
-In that folder make subfolders, you might consider naming them and a date you started each one. Example: 1/14/21 reference pictures. 1/16/21 Disassembly.
-Say within "Disassembly" folder you make subfolders, date + section of car.
Last thought, get an inexpensive external hard drive and place copy of main picture folder on it. And everytime you add pictures to PC, don't forget to update external hard drive.

You never know when PC hard drive will crash...

Also, you know these things start with great plans to do it right and quickly. As you know life has a way of changing priorities.

Good luck on your awesome acquisition.

Funny you should say that about the computer files. My son was talking to me earlier about a car I had when he was about 5 or 6 (he is now 23). I popped open the file on the computer and said, "You mean this one?" When he saw the number of files in my "My Boats and Cars" directory he was like, holy cow, I did not realize you had that many cars and boats. Currently there are 66 folders. I told him "yeah and this does not include all of the files I lost before 2008 or so when my computer crashed - lost a TON of stuff in that crash permanently." Needless to say, I now back up my files to an external hard drive as well. I only have 2 or 3 photos of the car he was talking about due to that crash. Lesson learned.

When I was restoring cars for other people for a while, I would send them daily pictures of work performed so that there was zero doubt about progress being made. That helped with reassembly plus eliminated questions about hours for which they were being billed. Plus, they loved seeing their cars come back to life step by step.

Fortunately/unfortunately, I have done so many cars through the years (mostly Mopars - 90% were either E or A bodies with a few B's thrown in the mix), I can pretty much look at a bolt or screw and know where it goes. I always used to have multiple projects going at once so keeping track of stuff was a little bit of a challenge. With only one project now, it will be a breeze. Going to hang some new lights in the shop tomorrow and then it will be game on!

Had a friend (passed away) that had a Pink AAR... or was it a T/A ? Had a 30k mile Brown AAR as well .
When I was a kid in Sunrise, FL there was a Pink AAR that sat on the side of a house right next to the little league ball field. Some days I had a really hard time concentrating on the game when out in the field. I dreamed of owning that car one day and then when I was about 14 or 15 it disappeared. :(

some of the parts for my AAR project came from a burned-up pink AAR in Yakima, WA

Jerry lived outside of Spokane for many years . Owned a machine shop in Riordon. The more I think about it the more I remember it being a Challenger . He didnt have the T/A engine and put a 440/6 and a Shaker on it .
He also had
A 70 Challenger R/T 440 Convert.
71 Challenger Conv.
70 Challenger R/T SE 440 with hounsdtooth cloth
68 Dart GTS 383 low mile car
Several Roadrunners and a few others I dont recall at the moment.
And of course the super low mile AAR in brown .

Did some assessments last night. Looks like I am going to need a hood and trunk lid in addition to the repro sheet metal (floors, trunk floor, and tail panel). The skins of both are decent enough but the undersides are rusty to the point I either need to replace both entirely or swap out the undersides if I cannot find suitable, correct replacements. Time to start hunting...

Also, the hood hinges are pretty whooped. Does anybody offer repro hood hinges for A-Bodies?

FABO member @mikebee had a nice hood the last time I was at his place, but I don't know if he still has it. It's in NC, so quite a distance apart.

Scored a couple of hoods for the car plus a nice deck lid and two doors. Although the deck lid is incorrect, it is WAY better than the original one. Since I got those parts, I decided to place an order with AMD for the trunk floor, tail panel, and floors plus a few other misc items. They should be delivered today. It will be time to start rock and rolling pretty soon :)

Also got a few extra parts in the mix that I will post for sale shortly.

20210403_113209.jpg

20210403_113216.jpg

20210403_113225.jpg

20210403_113242.jpg

I am very partial to fm3 cars !
When I was born and came home from the hospital it was in a fm3 1970 Roadrunner my parents ordered from the factory.
So I would say moulin Rouge runs through my veins!
Nice score !

Gary, great to hear from you! Congratulations! That's going to be a very nice car!

Stuck in a holding pattern. Blew out my cheapo HF welder. A friend lent me his Miller and it fried too. Turns out I had an outlet that was pumping out 235V to a single leg! WTF?!?!? Now have to save up to get a new welder :(

Well, Miller has been back-ordered on the welder my buddy ordered since May. I decided to buy my own and ended up with a Lincoln 140. Then, life got in the way for the past 3 months or so. Plan to start welding her back up this week.

Nice units the Lincoln's are. Start sticking things on and together. Looking forward to seeing your updates

-
Back