My 1974 Plymouth Duster 360

-

Prine

A-Body Fanatic
Reaction score
Well. It has finally come time to start this thread. This past weekend...I drove 1301 miles roundtrip to the DFW metro and picked up this 1974 Duster. My very first vehicle I ever owned/drove....was a 74 Duster I found down the street from my cousins house in 1996, (sold it in ninety-eight). I joined the military and with my tax return in 2000 I bought a 1973 Dart Sport to replace the lost love....I got it running and the transmission went out...sold it...bought a 1972 Challenger Rallye 340....drove the crap out of the Chally....2001-2002...sold it for 3x what I bought it for. Bought a 1969 Dart when I got back from germany, it had been whacked in the passenger door post area....traded it for a DirtBike and $1000....

Feb 2008. I bought my last mopar...my 1970 Dart....and I was stoked to build that...it was really solid....complete....it Ran...I had just put a Paint Job on it....and lost my job....regrettably I sold it...fed the family, kept the bills rolling and buckled down and found a good job and here I am AGAIN....

But this time I lucked out and found a really good deal....I have always wanted another Duster like my 1st one...Bucket Seats, Console, Automatic...Disc Brakes....this car fit the ticket to a tee.

1974 Duster 360, 727, 8.25
Factory AC car.
very tiny amount of cancerous rust
95% complete

This is how it was when I picked it up:
1974DusterScorefront.jpg

1974DusterScoreDriver.jpg

1974DusterScorePassenger.jpg

and here it is in my Driveway:
74DusteratHomepics3-1-10001.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10002.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10003.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10004.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10005.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10006.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10007.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10008.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10012.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10011.jpg

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10009.jpg

I am so happy to have found a solid project within a reasonable haul (1300 miles) and a decent price (<2000).

Stay tuned...I am already rolling with repairs...I just have not had a spare second to sit down and write this down and get this out there!!

:cheers:

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

looks like a good, solid candidate. diggin' the wheels :p
can't wait for an update. hope it goes exactly to plan!

Good find! Hope circumstances allow you to keep this one for good. Who owns the V. W. by the side of your house? I've had 3 of those, including one that I bought and sold the same day. Only time I've ever done that!

Congratulations Prine :cheers:
Outstanding bucket seat V/8 and disk brake A body =P~

Why do I think you are going to turbo it =P~:happy10::cheers:
Good to see ya back in action bud and posting.
What a great story of your past, I have been there to :read2:
And just in time for spring 8)

Mother MoPar has always been good to me, a couple Challenger's and three barracuda's in my life was fun and when it came time to slim down and help keep food and a roof over my families heads they was like a good insurance to invest in, But hated to sell them :happy10:
Let's get started :cheers::cheers:

Hey Prine, good to see you back and hearing things are going well for you now. Looks like a nice solid car, and I'm sure you're stoked to get on it

Grant

Sweet score, if you aint gonna use the valve covers I would like first dibs. I will watch your progress I am definitley jealous of how complete your is. Mine had buckets/console in black but was completely stripped before I got it. Good luck I hope this one is permenant.

That 74 360 looks almost identical to the 1st new car I purchased back in April of 1974 burnished red with white interior, 727, 8.25 same stripe 360 badging on the front fenders and not on the rear stripe. Vin also begin with VS29L. If you
are not aware these cars a rarity about 2500 built in 74 that's what I have been told. Needless to say I have car envy. Congradulations on your find.

I beileve he is and he'll have no use for that T-Q on top...eh hemmm.

NO USE FOR THAT T-Q ON TOP! Cough Cough cough......

I was trying to say, No use ....Cough cough... for that... Gack! Hack! ....T-Q on top , cough cough...

LOL!

Looks good Prine. What are your plans with it? One more question, why did you have to go to Texas to get a car? I was driving through New Mexico last year and saw about a million old cars sitting in peoples yards waiting to be saved. I was dying, because I was riding with someone else and he wouldn't stop. This was around some of the reservations down there. Next time I am driving and pulling a trailer. LOL

Nice, yours is in better shape than mine, even after i put 10,000 in it. I ran out of money and Im on body work now.

Prine, glad to see your doing better and you got another abody.......now get to work. :) Is there a turbo install in the future?

Prine I really like the direction you are going! Nice score on your Duster. Don't forget the camra like I always do for updates.

:rock: Thanks. I'll try to take as many pics as would be useful in defining where the adventure of building this one leads me.

It needs alot Yes, but it is the specific foundation I wanted to start with, and its really solid and mostly complete.

Well.....had a little garage sale this morning, it did well....the wife got rid of alot of clutter stuff.

After the Garage Sale cleanup, I went to the shop, grabbed the Cherry Picker, came back and jerked the engine out of the Duster.

I'll take it to the shop Monday and tear it down in my spare time.

Just wanted to share!!

Duster360out009.jpg

Duster360out001.jpg

Duster360out002.jpg

Duster360out003.jpg

Duster360out004.jpg

Woo Hoo!

I beileve he is and he'll have no use for that T-Q on top...eh hemmm.

NO USE FOR THAT T-Q ON TOP! Cough Cough cough......

I was trying to say, No use ....Cough cough... for that... Gack! Hack! ....T-Q on top , cough cough...

LOL!
So Rob, what EXACTLY is it that you are trying to say????

-
Back