My 1974 Plymouth Duster 360

-
I WOULD consider selling that TQ, I just dont know what its worth....and its pretty dirty/funky....I fully believe it could be gone through....I would just spray it with something for awhile before I ever tried to crack it open...its been sitting unprotected for the better part of 20 years.

LOL @ Ink. It's probably close to junk then. All well.

Nice to see you back, Prine!
Great looking project you´ve found.
360 Dusters kind of rare, aren´t they?

All I can say is Hell Yea Cuz!

Glad to finally see what you have been telling me......

And you already have that roller cam 360 lined up......

Black on Black, forced induction..... It'll be beautifully nasty when you get her done.....

Makes want to build that old Demon insead of selling it.....

I see your neighbors and friends have nice Mopar stuff.........

Intense Blue Durango next door.

Black reg. cab Dakota R/T at the curb and your rare 360 Duster in the drive!

And your Duster appears to have terminal Toe-In !!

No mention of MY 2007 HEMI RAM..in 2007...Shoulda waited and bought the 09 R/T Challenger, but I needed a cargo bed...and wanted a HEMI Truck.

Yeah....my town is full of Ford lovers though....Hence the reason I am a Ford tech.

The Durango is the neighbors, the 2000 Dakota R/T is my buddy: Bryan ' s truck, the 07 Hemi is mine...the Duster is MINE and the VDub is my Dailydriver.

The entire front suspension is pretty loose....especially when 700lbs is missing.

Just scored my 1989 Roller Cam LA 360 on Thursday....stay tuned...tear down and pics are coming soon!

Well over the course of the last week, I tore down the newly acquired Roller Cam 360. Brought the air tools home and tore down the 73' 360, removed the engine wiring harness, and cleaned the engine bay. DA sanded and hand sanded the rusty looking areas, cleaned and prepped the inner fenders and painted them Gloss Black.

I spent a little time sitting in the driver seat with a wet rag, a small piece of steel wool, and a towel. The console and shifter cleaned up pretty good. Will need a woodgrain overlay to really smile when I look at it, but the pitting and dirtiness wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was.

Tomorrow I am putting the car on jackstands and attemting to remove the front bumper and front fenders....we'll see how that goes.

I haven't uploaded pics, and frankly I am a bit too tired to mess with it right now...but pics are coming.

Sweet car!! Nice solid find.

I AM REALLY DIGGING THE SUPERIOR 500 STEERING WHEEL AND TURBINE WHEELS!!!8)8)8)8)8)8)8) Way cool. Never seen Turbine wheels on a Duster before. Defiantly sweet.

well, as luck would have it...found a complete 73' /6 Duster sitting in some mesquite trees....in negotiations for it and will probably end up with it...little old ladys are great....,and its sooo worth it just for all the little stupid parts mine needs.

Sounds like a nice find Prine. I love sweet talking them little old ladies too. We need pics if you get it. What are your plans for your engine build?

Thanks. The bottom line to my build is....I do not have alot of money, but the money that I can spend toward the project is consistent, and I can save, and deal, and know that eventually I will get it where I want it.

For my goals and needs, I do not believe anything will be all that special on my Roller Cam 360. Stock bottom end....(yeah...just a light hone, a set of STD rings, new brass freeze plugs, new timing chain, new oil pump) lightly ported-gasket matched 308' casting heads, with the guides turned down for race seals and .550" clearance, Fel-pro multi layer steel headgasket, ARP head studs.

Then topping all that off with a RPM Air Gap, Holley 650 / 750 MS.
MP Ignition (intially, then might go MSD later)
Probably run the stock manifolds for awhile till I can get the time to do a set of stainless headers the way I want.

Stock Torque Convertor and transmission, maybe a shift kit.
2.5" dual exhaust

yadayadayadayada

Probably run the stock manifolds for awhile till I can get the time to do a set of stainless headers the way I want.

You may as well make a few sets for us frustrated cheap header lovers. 8) Are you still thinking about making shorties?

well, I dont have a whole lot to report, but I have been doing some freebie work...or as freebie as it gets!!

Working on cleaning up the engine bay, and getting ready to tear the front clip off and go through the front suspension/brakes.

Be patient with me.....funds are still pretty tight, but I am making due.

March2010251.jpg

March2010252.jpg

March2010253.jpg

March2010254.jpg

March2010255.jpg

March2010256.jpg

March2010257.jpg

March2010258.jpg

March2010259.jpg

The cluster and trim are just loosely sitting in there till I get a dash cap.....but it sure looks better than:
74DusteratHomepics3-1-10007.jpg

Also scored a FREE 1973 Plymouth duster and finally got a couple of pics emailed to me to quiet my anticipation:
73dustergreen01.jpg

73dustergreen02.jpg

73dustergreen03-1.jpg

73dustergreen04.jpg

73dustergreen05.jpg

and yes.....that IS a racoon.

uhhh not yet....been busy.

that is in the pipes though....be patient....:clock:

Lol.....Finally time to do an update.

Got my Roller Cam 360 home from the shop. Why I took it up there I cannot remember...ohh yeah..needed space still in my garage.

To clarify for everyone, I bought a RUNNING 1989 Dodge D250 4x4 truck engine, tore all the smog crap off, got it down to a Bare LongBlock, and removed the heads, the bores were clean, good crosshatch, no ridge.

I got a new HV Oil Pump, cleaned up the 73' 360 Pickup real good, installed that.
New Double Roller Timing Chain, and SB Chain Tensioner, installed that.....cleaned up the stock timing cover,(waiting on Water Pump to Install)
I swapped on the windage tray from my 73' 360, and oil pan, and installed a new pan gasket and sealed it up.

I disassembled the stock 308* heads, and checked all the valves and seats, they were all straight, and in pretty good shape.
I gasket matched the intake ports with my die grinder and cleaned up the casting walls down to the valve seats, nothing to drastic (less than 20 minutes into each port). I had the heads vatted and checked for cracks and they PASSED..I knew they had been cleaned but I went ahead and blew out all the coolant chambers real good. I wire wheeled the flute of each valve, and cleaned them all up and lapped the valves and seats. I never touched the exhaust ports.

I installed the Valve Stem Seals that were in the gasket set...and I noticed the ones in the set were different then the ones I removed...The ones I removed from the stock heads were Orange, and all of them pressed down on valve guide...the new ones were like umbrella seals for the exhausts and black press on seals for the intakes..??

Anywho, I pressed on..

I never removed any piston, or the crankshaft during this whole deal.
I am going to run the stock camshaft and valvetrain, so I never removed the camshaft either...all the lobes looked good so it should be fine for my Stage 1 build.

I painted the longblock BLACK to tie into my BLACK theme...its my favorite color.

308's
Refurbished308heads008-1.jpg

Refurbished308heads005-1.jpg

Refurbished308heads001-1.jpg

Refurbished308heads003-1.jpg

Where is that smog port again?
Refurbished308heads004-1.jpg

My kitchen view this morning:
Roller360May2010001.jpg

Roller360May2010002.jpg

Roller360May2010003.jpg

Roller360May2010007.jpg

Roller360May2010006.jpg

Roller360May2010010.jpg

Roller360May2010012.jpg

Roller360May2010011.jpg

I need to install the freeze plugs, get a intake manifold, a water pump, and this engine would run....makes me smile to have made some steady progress on a budget.

Total expendatures so far.....

$1750.00 for the car with numbers engine/trans/rear
$500 GAS to round trip the Duster
$250 for the Roller Cam 360
$50 Double Roller Timing Set
$30 Chain Tensioner
$60 gasket set
$90 Harmonic Balancer

Not too bad in my opinion.
Lemme hear what you guys think.

I believe NOW...its just gonna sit there and keep that little 7'x16' patch of ground dry....it no longer rolls.

-
Back