My 1974 Plymouth Duster 360

-
Hey Prine,

There is a place here in Texas that has a lot of old cars that they part out and when I drove by it last week I saw atleast 5 duster of various years. You or anyone else might want to hit them up and see if they have what you need. Their website is ctcautoranch.com
they might be able to help with the part you need. The duster is looking good, it helps to have a wife that enjoys this also, my wife is the same way. although taking my Challenger to the Texas Motorspeedway and running laps is not her favorite thing to do, I guess it is because I used to race cars and am not afraid of the wall. She does like going lets say well over 100 with me even though she hopes I get a ticket.

I know Kelly has been keeping his elbows well greased lately..... LOL

I met up with him in B.F.Texas to remove the lower control arm and a couple other things from the parts car...

Maybe he can post some pics? Hint hint.....

alright alright.....it is time for a update I suppose.

Ok....9-6-10 went and spent my Labor Day with my Cuz....we got up at the butt crack of dawn...yawned....stretched out our arms and hit the road....when we finally arrived at the Parts Duster, we instantly began hypothesizing a way to get a 74 duster that has become (1) with the earth 75 miles off the beaten path in the middle of a Mesquite Thicket......3 feet up in the air to bust the front suspension off. After some thought we jerked out the monster floor jack, some wood scraps, and got a big ole' bite of the lower radiator support. MARTIN provided the floor jack and it got the job done! we lifted the car.....set the K frame on (2) 8 lug truck rims we found in the woods and we had the complete front suspension busted down, loaded in our pickup trucks, and were standing around BS'in in about 1 hour.

I didnt take any pictures of the Front suspension removal, but I did take a couple of pictures that day...
001.jpg

After firing up my $3 garage sale Grille and cooking (2) 12oz Sirloins, and having some good Mopar Cheesy Grin conversations with the Cuz, I hit the road for home and decided to check on a 1968 Coronet for MARTIN and see if I could get some good pictures for him...come to find out the 68' Coronet was gone...but the man still had the 69'...so I took a couple of pictures to try to sway MARTIN ~ B A C K to a 1969 Coronet....INSTEAD of a 68....69's are so much sexier IMO.

anywho:
002-1.jpg

005.jpg

010-1.jpg

finally got home....about 6pm that evening to my wonderful wife....with Enchilada's on the table AS I walked through the door.

Got FAT...crashed out.....got up and went to work the next morning and got the LCA (lower control arm) blasted, bushing removed, and installed without damaging it....removed the sway bar bracket off my original arm...chunked it in the scrap metal bin....and welded the bracket on the new LCA.....primed it, painted it and installed it same night.

Assembled the entire front suspension without any further issues.

Installed the wheels and tires and prepped the car for the engine install.
Cleaned the garage up.
Finally 9-11-10 I brought home the cherry picker and 9-12-10 I installed the engine and transmission.

It has been a long time coming and I feel crankup isnt all that far away now.

Enjoy the pics till next time...when I finally get the accessory pulley crap figured out and MARTIN drives up here to help me make this duster make some noise.

024.jpg

025.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

027.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

:-D

Hey there's not a thing wrong with a '68, cuzn. But a '69 coronet is just a little more refined, and there was a certain Super Bee that I fell in love with long ago............

Good progress on the Duster, Prine. Cant wait to hear it run.

What about the bad spindle? What did you do there?

Where'd you get the fuel pickup?

Nice progress!

Right on Cuz...you know I am just biased to the 69' cause thats what we always cruised in.....ahhhhh memories of the shift light......or a number of other memories....=P~

Dion...for the spindles....I am going to use FMJ fifth avenue spindles.....I temporarily installed the cleaned/repacked bearings...till it comes out of the body shop......:sign10:

The shiny new 3/8 stainless pickup was scored on Ebay. The pump...ebay as well.

:-D

And...damn cuz....its been too long since I have seen "her".....:happy10:=P~

Where does time go?

Yea, It goes by fast. But its gonna be cool to make some new ones. Many in a Black on Black on Black turbo'd Duster no doubt.

Remember the time that hot rodded 68 SS 396 Camero pulled up next to us at a light on Bell street? We beat the snot out of that camero only to pull a dukes of hazzard at that dip and smack the oil pan. I remeber seeing that dip and just looking at you and shutting her off. I knew it was gonna hurt.....Just dented the pan and pushed the windage tray up to the crank, though.......those marks stayed on that raod for like 5 years...lol Good times............

Oh to be young and motivated......good progress. Where in the D/FW area did you find that car, been here all my life..

Very cool project !

I'm always intrigued with 1974 vehicles' build dates , especially hi-perf cars ; anything built on/after 21st Octobre 1973 ( the day that the Middle East decided to cutoff our oil supply ! ) is just amazing to me . 16th Novembre '73 , WOW !!

Ever since my '73 Duster ( VL29G3B375353 ; 7th March 73 build date , CA plate number 726 HYH ) was totalled on 12 Septembre 92 by some ... ahhhhhhh ... "undocumented workers" , I've been pining for another one .

Mine was TB3 Basin Street blue ( re-named from Petty Blue ) , black bench interior , 318 / 727 ( factory upgrade according to its buildsheet ) / 8.25" with 2.94 S.G.

Bought it for $70.00 in Feb 92 .

But , I divulge ...
Keep up the great work !

it was out in the woods just outside of Whitney,Tx.

I found previous owner information in the console...Scott Carlisle....last registered 1988-Texas...still has the rear Texas Plate...I wonder..hmmmm

74DusteratHomepics3-1-10003.jpg

I have the clear, signed title as well...but I didnt get it from a Scott Carlisle ..

I searched every classified within 750 miles one way of me for 6 months straight....you'll find what your looking for.

Messed with my Champion Radiator today.....decided NOT to inform bystanders that I was packing a Aluminum radiator so I painted the grille side gloss black.

Installed the electric fans on it and mocked it up for install.

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

I am going to have to modify the lower radiator support to drop the Rad down about an 1" or 1.5"....otherwise I think its gonna fit/perform great.

Messed with my Champion Radiator today.....decided NOT to inform bystanders that I was packing a Aluminum radiator so I painted the grille side gloss black.

Installed the electric fans on it and mocked it up for install.

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

I am going to have to modify the lower radiator support to drop the Rad down about an 1" or 1.5"....otherwise I think its gonna fit/perform great.

What size is that radiator?

It is the Ebay Champion 26" wide core support, 3 core....$195...but I got the dual 12" electric fans thrown in...shipped to my door for $239.
:read2::-D

Looks good, looks like it is starting to come together nicely.
Nice undercover job.

ok....so I have been plugging along....checking things off the "To Do List"
and thought I would document the stuff I HAVE LEFT TO DO at this point.

Get a After Market Oil Dip Stick Tube/install it
Have Driveshaft cut to right size (from a 75 Cordoba)
Repair/Install Rear Brake Line
Bleed Brake system
Replace Rubber Lines in existing fuel system
Source a Original Automatic Console Shifter Pivot Bracket (anyone have1?)
Install Lokar Kickdown Cable
Mount Radiator
Get Fittings and Hook Up trans cooler lines
Get NEW ECU, Voltage Regulator, and Ballast/install them
Get NEW Distributor Cap/Rotor
Get Grant Steering wheel install kit/tuff wheel adapter
Install new Ignition lock cylinder
Install Accessory Belts
Install Plug Wires
Install Radiator Hoses
Mount Battery Tray
Fill engine with oil
Go over fuse box and wiring connections
Fill Radiator/Cooling system

Install Battery
CRANK UP!!!!
Top off Tranmission Fluid
Change oil/Plugs
Weld up existing exhaust system
Install Hood

Take to my friends shop to strip the paint and cut the lower passenger rear quarter off...weld in a new AMD patch..and smooth it out....put it in primer and prep it for BLACKness.

( I am sure I left out some fine details....but I am finally beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel ! )

:clock:

shopping lists are always cool. i can't wait to see this one done. build on prine.

Prine,
Been looking thru my Govier White Book.

Yes, your car is sorta rare.

VS29L4

3 speed...... 318 made

4 speed...... 586 made

Auto......... 2,975 made

Total........ 3,879 out of 277,409 1974 Dusters

question for you:

i saw that you did an in-tank adaptation of a walbro 255 to an ebay stainless 3/8(?) return style pickup. from the pictures, it looks like you added a support for it. how did you do this, and how did you get the wiring through where it wouldnt leak?

thanks for any help. my holley blue is driving me nuts already.

michael

Id like to start by saying first off.

I have enjoyed having you here, good info ,you have sold parts here to people that have needed them before.

I have thought of you just as I have the rest of the community here (greatly).

I would hate to see you go!

don't let your bad experience here leave a sour taste in your mouth ....sometimes on the internet people just don't agree on things and its easy to let things get out of control ( in real life half of these arguments that happen on fabo wouldn't get anywhere near close to the extent they do because in person....peoples balls are not as large as they are on the net HAHA .

however.....I do also want to say....don't blame someone for not having perfect spelling or punctuation, some people may not have had the opportunity to finish school or may be older ( which there is nothing wrong with older mopar enthusiasts like you mentioned earlier)...some of them do not have perfect eye sight.

I myself figure as long as my message gets across rather it has errors or not....you guys normally get my drift lol.

I also don't like the fact that you think FABO is worthless and I am hoping that the words you chose are strictly from being upset with the chain of event that happened.

but I can understand your frustration.

just remember....two wrongs don't make a right and internet arguments go no where fast.....take everything with a grain of salt and blow it off and forget about it.

I say stick around.....lots of younger folks in the hobby ( including myself ) still have lots to learn ( even when they think they know it all LOL ).

and you seem to have good knowledge to pass on that many here at FABO can benefit from.

not to mention the helpful info that can be gained from FABO and the detailed pictures,the friendships, the help when your in need,the great deals on hard to find parts and cars and so on.

I understand you may have had a less than perfect encounter when it came to asking for help from a member recently but that doesnt mean that we are all the same or would treat you the same so please don't put us all in the same barrel.

cool off,think about it, take a break from here if need be...whatever.

I don't hold any grudges against you and still think your a great asset here.

( I never even knew that you got banned and I never had even seen that you had this thread up or I would have been asking what was up!).

take it easy buddy

Ah... well that explains it. I had tried to send him a p.m. on his "pivot bracket" he was needing and it got rejected stating that Prine is not accepting messages at this time. I hate seeing any member get bent sideways over anything especially over something fairly trivial. A lot of questions, posts, needed knowledge of parts dont get answered. Until someone with the part or knowledge comes along. Guess this is where patience is a virtue.

-RPM

-
Back