My 1st attempt at body work and paint

-

Coastie

Reaction score
Just thought id share my 1st attempts. Paint looks good, a little orange peely, but only cost me 250 to do. Body work... i shouldnt try again haha.
20180218_102221.jpg
20180218_102235.jpg
20180216_154048.jpg

Hey man you got it done. Nobody does it best first time around. Getting ready to tackle some major body work myself. Kinda scared but can't really afford to pay for professional work so I gotta make it happen. Kudos for jumping in there.

I’m almost 50 and digging into this stuff for the first time in a long, long time. Looks good to me. Like my brother told me: don’t make it too nice or you won’t want to drive it.

Hey man you got it done. Nobody does it best first time around. Getting ready to tackle some major body work myself. Kinda scared but can't really afford to pay for professional work so I gotta make it happen. Kudos for jumping in there.
Get 80-2000 sand paper. I found that 1k doesnt smooth it out enough. The bondo can lies about how much hardener to use. A few drops of it at most. A thin piece of cardboard (like a cereal box) makes a good smoother. I got impatient and mine looks like crap, but with enough time i couldve made it much smoother.

Congrats. I'll bet it feels good. My first attempt at shooting paint involved a lot of wet sanding and buffing!

Get 80-2000 sand paper. I found that 1k doesnt smooth it out enough. The bondo can lies about how much hardener to use. A few drops of it at most. A thin piece of cardboard (like a cereal box) makes a good smoother. I got impatient and mine looks like crap, but with enough time i couldve made it much smoother.

Thanks Coastie,
My work is gonna involve welding in a bunch of new metal. I know it will need some filler but hopefully a minimum amount. Been watching all the videos I can find and there are about as many different methods as there are people willing to share. I have some spare panels that I think Im gonna practice on before I get to the real deal. Wish me luck!!!

Thanks Coastie,
My work is gonna involve welding in a bunch of new metal. I know it will need some filler but hopefully a minimum amount. Been watching all the videos I can find and there are about as many different methods as there are people willing to share. I have some spare panels that I think Im gonna practice on before I get to the real deal. Wish me luck!!!
What kinda paint did you use.

My first choice for the first paint job would not be black.
Like my first, it no longer has holes and is one solid colour.
My orange peel was more like pineapple peel...
Guess if you wanted to could revisit it again as you advance your skills.

painting a car with black paint is the hardest color to use because it shows all the mistakes with the bodywork, you have to have the panels perfect or it will show

I was going to say - for a first attempt - good effort. Choice of black - poor choice...lol. When you're painting black, it's basically going to be a mirror, and the quality of the mirror is the work that goes before you spray the base coat.

Hey. If your happy that's all that matters. Looks good for first time. People don't relize how long it takes to get a pro paint job. I just don't have the patients. All my cars are 50 footers. But I'm not scared to drive them to Walmart.

where the **** did i trash the work? get your head out of your ******* ***.... he mentions the bondo in his sale ad. so instead of making people wonder how much bondo is actually in it ,it may be nice to show them how much is or isn't in it..

directly from his ad jackass....

[FOR SALE] - 1972 Dart Swinger

Don't trash people , man . It makes, yourself look bad.

Don't trash people , man . It makes, yourself look bad.

-
Back