My 318 dyno results

-

olei

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had my car (´88 Dakota) on a chassis dyno.

My engine is built on a 318 out of a ´89 Van:
.030" KB167 Pistons - 9.64:1 SCR
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads (60779 w/63cc chambers)
Edelbrock shorty headers
Hughes Whiplash hydraulic roller camshaft
Holley 570 Street Avenger carburetor

A998 transmission
Hughes Performance XTM torque converter (no lockup during dyno pull)
2.94 axle ratio, 31" wheels

318%20dyno_zpsrccvmim5.jpg

Torque values are in Newtonmeters.
Both WHP and est. flywheel HP are shown.

Might be a bit diffusing to read, but it shows 277WHP, and est. 332HP at flywheel.

Hi,

I just had my car (´88 Dakota) on a chassis dyno.

My engine is built on a 318 out of a ´89 Van:
.030" KB167 Pistons - 9.64:1 SCR
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads (60779 w/63cc chambers)
Edelbrock shorty headers
Hughes Whiplash roller camshaft
Holley 570 Street Avenger carburetor

A998 transmission
Hughes Performance XTM torque converter (no lockup during dyno pull)
2.94 axle ratio, 31" wheels

318%20dyno_zpsrccvmim5.png

Torque values are in Newtonmeters.
Both WHP and est. flywheel HP are shown.

Those are really good numbers!

Jeff

What ???!
The lowly 'teen' just can not make those #'s !!! (huge sarcasm ).
Nicely Done ... Mr OIL ... :)

For ignition I´m using MSD Ready-to-run distributor and Blaster 2 coil. For the dyno test I was running 20º initial timing, and 36º total timing (vacuum advance disconnected). Pretty slow advance curve, using two silver springs (one light and one heavy).

I will have a new advance stop bushing made to reduce my total timing to 34º. I will probably test a faster advance curver later on as well. :)

Nice numbers! Great street engine! You know, back in the day, a 300 horse street engine was some pretty serious stuff. Chevy did it with their 327 and it was no slouch. A 300 horse Ford 302 was a pretty serious factory piece. Nice work!

Just how far belw sealevel are you?! heehee
I'm at sea level.

I will try a Holley Ultra Street Avenger 670 in a few weeks. I'm hoping to achieve better idle charistics with the four corner idle. I will also be replacing the 2.94 gear ratios with 3.55's. I'm very happy with the engine's performance so far. :)

-- Hi,
I just had my car on a chassis dyno. --- My engine is built on a 318 ---
Might be a bit diffusing to read, but it shows 277WHP, and est. 332HP at flywheel. --
-- Good Ole 318.

I'm at sea level.

I will try a Holley Ultra Street Avenger 670 in a few weeks. I'm hoping to achieve better idle charistics with the four corner idle. I will also be replacing the 2.94 gear ratios with 3.55's. I'm very happy with the engine's performance so far. :)
I just put a Holley 770 street avenger on my 408 and love it compared to any others ive used. use the holley tables to jet it

nice

according to the interwebs, your 445 newton meters is 328 foot pounds
i wonder if we use the same HP in the US as you guys do over there?

I seem to remember european magazines using KiloWatts to describe engine output so i was wondering if there was a difference

(ive been told honda uses "honda power" instead of "horsepower" so when that civic claims to make 300 HP it actually converts to 135 Horse Power)

It's 445Nm at peak HP. It's just above 500Nm from around 2600rpm (start of pull) to 4300rpm.

The HP is corrected for DIN standard.

Decent! 31" tires with a 2.94 rear gear--man, I bet that thing feels like it accelerates forever

So I haven't been able to get the idle quality where I want. I did try the Holley Ultra Street Avenger 670, but it didn't improve anything so I'm back to the Holley Street Avenger 570.

Cold starts during winter time are terrible. I also get hesitation driving around at low RPM all the way until the thermostat opens and the engine is up the temperature. I'm thinking I need to increase the idle feed restrictor?

Anyways, when I built this engine the Whiplash camshaft was chosen for being used with the OEM 302 cylinder heads, which I later found out were cracked. Since I know have the Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads and I'm unhappy with the idle quality, I'm considering replacing the camshaft. What do you guys think about the Lunati Voodoo 20200710?

Weren't the Whiplash cams designed to have that rumpety-rump idle ( = more effect at the local drive-in than anything else)? Do as MO suggested. :)

It is tuned at operating temp. It runs good at operating temp. Cold is terrible, have to sit and work with the throttle to keep it alive.

Whiplash cams are designed to have a rough idle, and it does. I was still hoping for it to have a fair idle due to the low duration?
Increasing the idle speed could help out, but that again makes 1st gear engagement harsh.

-
Back