my 451 combo

-

matty wardle

mopar dedicated
Reaction score
hi guys,
new on here but want to post my combo on here and see what u think
400 block 4.375 bore
440 source rotating kit stroke 3.75 (451 cubes)
440 source stealth heads
comp cams xe285hl -285/297---241/247@50----545lift
mopar m1 single plane
ras or comp cams rockers
comp 10.0 to 1
1 7/8th headers
3000 stall
4:10 rear
motor is going in my 73 barracuda,around 3500 pounds,what carbie?
do u think this will be ok,is the cam too big,will it be very drivable on the street,as i want to drive it a fair bit and race it on occasions.i havn,t bought the cam or rockers yet and am open to suggestions if u think i should change anything.what i am looking for is maximum power from a hydraulic cam,want it to be street driven,run 11,s if possible,not run hot and not be a pig,am i on the right path,do u think i will have to port the heads with this cam or use them out of the box?

Thats a nice combo.If it were me,have a good race valve job done.Out of the box,these heads will work.If you want to make it last and make more power,find a reputable race shop.Get a really good valve job,maybe some bowl work.

has anyone ported there stealth heads by hand,cause thats what i,m thinking of doing,if so any pics

Why not go with a 500"+ kit? Aren't the kits the same cost? All that cost to only get to a 440 sized motor.

yeah i geuss i could of gone bigger,but i,ve bought the kit now,plus i only wanted to use stock size port heads,a 500 inch would probably need victor raised ports or better breathing capabilities,which would of been even more expence,offset rockers ect,i,m happy to be building the legendary 451,not many build these in australia,most mopar big block builds here are stock 440 builds,which all mine is i suppose,just a much lighter rotating assembly

Why not go with a 500"+ kit? Aren't the kits the same cost? All that cost to only get to a 440 sized motor.

I beat up on a few 500's with my little 451 with stock 906s & a mild cam, its all in the combo.

yeah i geuss i could of gone bigger,but i,ve bought the kit now,plus i only wanted to use stock size port heads,a 500 inch would probably need victor raised ports or better breathing capabilities,which would of been even more expence,offset rockers ect,i,m happy to be building the legendary 451,not many build these in australia,most mopar big block builds here are stock 440 builds,which all mine is i suppose,just a much lighter rotating assembly

Don't you worry about a thing trust me, Those 451 lowdecks are strong runners, very strong, I kicked *** on many for 2 yrs. with mine.

As for the cam, no its not to large, I ran the XE284H & it was mild. I ran high 10s in my duster with 906 heads, you'll love it :glasses7:

I agree low deck 451s are a nice combo.If you aren't tubbed ,or new to chassis tuning,all that grunt makes it crazy to hook up.A freind had a 451 build with more compression and cam.He runs track only in a Duster.It takes a 10 inch slick to hook it.You are close,give it a go.

thanks for the votes of confidence guys,sounds like theres alot of respect out there for these 451,s,cant wait to start my build,was thinking of running a edelbrock rpm dual plane,but i,ll think i,ll go with the single plane with this cam because it doesnt seem to start working till 3000rpm anyway,would this be the better choice?:burnout:

thanks for the votes of confidence guys,sounds like theres alot of respect out there for these 451,s,cant wait to start my build,was thinking of running a edelbrock rpm dual plane,but i,ll think i,ll go with the single plane with this cam because it doesnt seem to start working till 3000rpm anyway,would this be the better choice?:burnout:

The M1 single works great on the 451.

You are going to be abit surprized of the amount of torque the 451s have, so going with a single plane isn't going to hurt at all.

Sounds like a good plan, but is there any reason you decided against a solid camshaft?

i think hughes engines has a great rocker set, but it's $500 for the whole shebang
also while you are at it make sure to get high vol oil pump along with a hemi pickup mod. dont forget the oil!

it will make her last longer

p.s. the part number for the "B" engine 1/2 hemi pickup P5249817

Don't you worry about a thing trust me, Those 451 lowdecks are strong runners, very strong, I kicked *** on many for 2 yrs. with mine.

As for the cam, no its not to large, I ran the XE284H & it was mild. I ran high 10s in my duster with 906 heads, you'll love it :glasses7:
That is the cam in my 451 as we speak lol! Never ran 10s but did dip in the 11s a couple times through the muffs and in full street trim at 2300ft.

i suppose i could go a solid cam,but i don,t want to be setting the tappets all the time,on camquest,the solids didnt show up any more horsepower than the hydraulics,is that program accurate?i,ve got the 1/2 inch pickup,and i ended up buying the hughes rockers,they dont look much,but i geuss looks arn,t everything,stroker scamps pic of sarah palin wrapped in the us flag turns me on just a little,on that pic shes got my vote

i suppose i could go a solid cam,but i don,t want to be setting the tappets all the time,on camquest,the solids didnt show up any more horsepower than the hydraulics,is that program accurate?i,ve got the 1/2 inch pickup,and i ended up buying the hughes rockers,they dont look much,but i geuss looks arn,t everything,stroker scamps pic of sarah palin wrapped in the us flag turns me on just a little,on that pic shes got my vote

Even a small solid comp cam will give you a bit more then the XE284 or 285HL, I stepped up to a solid from comp, It was based on there 520/540 292dur., I had it ground up different from there blanks, it didn't cost anymore, I went with .543/.529, dur. @50 was 250/256 & went with a 108, Car picked up a solid 1.5 MPH, ETs were all over the place do to track conditions & not the best set-up on suspention "my stupidity", Then after that i installed a Weiand TR & twin 600 1850s & home ported the heads, car ran another 1.5 MPH faster & ET got better, MPH was solidly in the 123s, It stayed in the low 10.9s on muggy days at this point, 60fts were really horrible in the 1.60s, I did run a best of 10.87 @ 123.58 on a 1.63 60ft. in the summer air, With the XE284 & a 750dp/stock heads car ran a best of 10.91 @ 120.56 on a 1.51 in the best air., So as you can see if i had those 1.51-1.52 60fts back even on a bad air day i'm sure a solid 10.75 pass @ 124 was a given. The only difference other then weight was i ran a 9.5" 4400 stall.

Only reason im running what I am is my pistons have no valve reliefs. My buddy did up a 440 with a .585 Ultrdyne at the time and that was such a good running street engine! It went 11.30s in a all steel leaf spring 70 Cuda and 10.50s with a squirt.

72 bb swinger,what has your car run exactly with this cam and what stall have you got,what carbie,i,m trying to avoid a holley cause there like chevy,s everyones got one and i,d like something different ,is there an optional carbie as good as a holley,would a 800 edelbrock be ok?

My 2 cents - Not sure what you decided on having the heads worked over, but having someone professionally do that work will be some of the best return on HP for the money spent.

Happy Holidays

Ma Snart

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 550
i am ready to buy my converter for this engine ,on the information i have given,what converter should i buy,i am buying an off the shelf converter from mancini,so either a coan,a tci or the turbo brand what ever that is,cause i live in australia i dont want to get one custom made so it has to be one that is listed on the mancini website,personally i am thinking a 3800 10 inch,what should i buy as i,m ready to place my next order with them?

For the carbie I ran a chokeless Holley 830 annular. More than needed but at my weight it worked good on the street and strip.

I run an AED850 carb(modified Holley)which Summit now carry,s on my stroked 360(410ci).I also run a Coan 8 inch 4500 stall matched to my .631 solid roller cam.When buying your convertor,make sure to mention your combo...cam,gears,tire size so they get you the right one.Good luck.

I run the XE285HL in my 451, great camshaft with a very fast ramp rate. Sounds like a solid lifter camshaft at idle. Is very easy to drive on the street, much-much easier than you would expect. I run a VERY similar combination, but it is in a 1969 Road Runner (3,500LBS) with an 833-4 speed. I have the Victor Intake other than the holley, Performer RPM's other than the Stealths, and a 750DP holley that has a Proform Main body, Base plate, and metering blocks. 11:1CR in my Combo. Runs great, no track times yet though. Has all the Direct Connection Chassis Mod's, an 8 3/4 with a locker, 4.10 Gears, and aftermarket axles. 30x12.5 ET Streets.

-
Back