My $500.00 MOPAR purchase. Whats everyone think?

What do you think, Good buy?

• Total voters
-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
1972 Plymouth Duster ( Gold Duster ) fender vin tag still there....everything looks about the same other then interior is a different color then what came with the car,vinyl top was removed and no engine....Id like to go 340 but I found a good deal on a rebuildable 360 with all accessories and tranny and tourqe converter an engine stand for $50.00,so I may go that route. The car came with a 904 auto tranny that was built in 04. also has a fully built 8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 gearing, no rust on the underside what so ever!!! (california car...back in it birth place of michigan) exterior has no rust except for some minor surface rust. Does have a couple of minor dents here and there but nothing a little time and effort can't fix. all glass is good,windshield is a little foggy around the edges. interior is in great shape but the carpet has one hole in it..came with a full set of stock rally wheels in like new shape,tires have tons of tread up front,rears are street slicks. The car was last driven in 04. The front k member was completly gone through in 04 at the same time the tranny and rear end were. has all new poly bushings and shocks and rotors and calipers and pads and bearings and all steering components aswell as a close ration non power steering gear box....wich I can litterally turn with one finger!!! all lights and grill and hoodscoops and everything are in like new shape. door handles and key locks on doors and trunk and ignition all work,windows all go up and down great and the gull windows in rear pop in and out great. I picked it up for $500.00,what do you guys think? worth it lol?. I am going to spiff it up over the winter,all body work and I am thinking of going plum crazy purple with satin black 340 stripe kit....build a mild v8 engine and put in it with the 904,I will need the firewall forward wire harness,master cylinder set up for brakes and alot of misc. parts also....But I thought it was a good deal and couldnt pass it up. I joined FABO when I bought the duster but have been a mopar fan prior to....I also have a dodge pickup for the daily driver. I just learned how to post up pictures so I figured I would make a thread for you guys to see. so check it out and give me some comments and feedback and suggestions and any parts you may have that you think I may need?...Thanks again guys

DSCI0798.JPG

shrunk picture.JPG

duster frontshrunk.jpg

shrunk2.JPG

door panel.JPG

dash.JPG

front seat.JPG

backseat.JPG

WHAT! wow, can i just go ahead and be the first to say that i hate you! i never find deals like this, that is incredable for the shape its in! Congrats to you my friend....congrats to you! now keep us posted with a build thread.

DusterDude, you didn't buy it, you stole it. With the rear end and all that came with it, fantastic deal. Good thing about that interior is you can paint the car just about any color and it will go with it pretty well... I just found another '72 I am thinking about, it must be a curse, I already have two in the stable... Nice body on that one should be an easy build, good luck with it!

WHAT! wow, can i just go ahead and be the first to say that i hate you! i never find deals like this, that is incredable for the shape its in! Congrats to you my friend....congrats to you! now keep us posted with a build thread.

Thank you MI_Mopar :-D I think I hate him to :-D JJ Great find :cheers:

No more taking our Ca. rust free cars ! J/K
If the prius driving sprout heads here don't want em . Let whoever's gonna save em have em .:toothy10:
Good luck on your build !

Thanks guys....glad to see such quick responses on it lol....well the deal is....I was looking for a good mopar project for around $1,000.00 ...I searched and searched for weeks, finally....my dad went over to someones house he knows and they have 2 original slant 6 dusters..a 71 and a 73 I believe. so my dad went to see if he may have knew of any deals around on any mopars....just so happens he say.." actually I do " ....I know a guy who has 2, one of which is a 73 gold duster with a bunch of rare options and the other is a 72 duster... The kid is going to part out the 72 and use the parts on the 73 because of its rarity ..he wants it and doesnt care about the 72.....anyhow. he said it could be got for $300.00 minus engine,tranny and he wanted to swap the k fram and rear end with the other car. I say, "well,where does this kid live?" he tells me.....lol.....after all this searching,a 72 duster is just over a mile away from where I live!!! " FIGURES " ....so I get there and I haggel for a long rime with the kid to get him to leave the rear end and k frame that was in the car instead of swapping them....finally we agree on instead of $300.00 for the car after all these parts were swapped.....$500.00 for it with everything that was original and had been built and was new....plus the tranny and drive shaft and some other goodies. I just couldnt stand to see such a solid mopar get parted out and end up on the junk yard. My dad said he had dusters back in the 70's that were in worse shape then this one is...if that gives you an idea of how great of shape it is...but you can see by the pictures for yourself!...P.S. I am probably going to do the interior all in black....so the interior thats there now is going

DUDE!!!! I just bought an 8 3/4 peg leg out of a junked '72 duster for $400!!! You get a whole car. Sweet deal. You stole it.

I think you stole it for that price!
It's amazing what people will part out and junk even these days.

Nice car. You stole it.
Next time you load your car, center the load over the axles on the trailer so your not nose high with your truck.

Thats unbeleivable!
You KNOW you got a bargain!!!!

Un effing beleivable!

Nice car. You stole it.
Next time you load your car, center the load over the axles on the trailer so your not nose high with your truck.

Thanks for the tip lol...but it was actually a buddy of mines trailer that I barrowed....it was built cheaply and has seen better days and the loading ramps are jacked up and the way they had the axles set up,I didnt like....so I figured I would load the duster at the front of the trailer, it was only a mile and a half trip from where I picked it up at...so it wasnt a big trip or anything. but good eye and thanks for the advice anyhow lol

What an awesome car and great deal!!!!! If you are not excited, you should be..... Want to double your money? :-D

I really like the color combo it is..... Add a 340 stripe kit in black and that car would be awesome.

they are still out there for a good price. thats why i have to laugh when someone tries to get stupid money for these things.

HAHA thanks guys....no,not looking to sell it. Its a piece of history. thats actually the factory paint. I believe its called honey dew gold. I like it but I think I am going to go a vibrant mopar color but at the same time I dont want it to look like everyone elses duster. If I was planning on selling it then I would paint it back to code but the interior isnt all the original color and it doesnt have the original engine...so why not lol.

they are still out there for a good price. thats why i have to laugh when someone tries to get stupid money for these things.

exactly my thought....I had searched for awhile before i bought this one. it wasnt that I couldnt find anything...its that everyone wanted high dollar price for there low dollar junk. I found a 73 duster,originally slant six...no motor,no trans,scab wheels and tires,some rust on floor boards, junk interior passenger side quarter panel was VERY rusty...couldnt see the drivers side in the picture,no grill or headlights,rusty bumpers and I am sure there was more I couldnt make out from the for sale ad...but I asked what he would be willing to sell it for and he replied with..."the lowest I can go would be $1500" and I said NO THANKS lol. and 3 days later or so,I found my duster. The deals are out there,for sure. you just have to know where to look and have the self control not to jump at the fisrt offer there is because you think you wont find better. I do know of a Good mopar junk yard out here in michigan...its in adrian,not far off of us-12 I think it is..He is the guy to talk to about mopar parts and he most likly has alot of old mopars sitting on the lot that would be worth a restore. cant remember the name of the place of hand but if i do Ill post it up for everyone incase they are interested

-
Back