My 64 Dart Vert Project

-
Wow looks great! Love the red/white combo. What kind of comp. ratio are you shooting for?

Took some more pics of the car with the hood now in paint

dart with hood painted.jpg

dart with hood painted 2.jpg

dart with hood painted 3.jpg

Here's another shot for you. Jayson

dart vert is looking great,,,

this hard top with the radir wheels looks killer,,,ive tried to get them to make me a custon rear set,, no dice,,,may have to bite the bullet and have a set widened,,,

dart vert is looking great,,,

this hard top with the radir wheels looks killer,,,ive tried to get them to make me a custon rear set,, no dice,,,may have to bite the bullet and have a set widened,,,

I picked up a new set of Cragers with tires off the board back in October so that's what will go on the vert.

Thanks for the complement. I need 8 flat top .040 over pistons in good shape.

Got a Christmas present from a stranger who is now a friend. I think I posted somewhere the other day that my engine builder, Jim found some rust pits in the cyl bores of my block that can't be honed. I was looking at the prospect of having to buy .040 pistons since the block was already .030 over. MORE $$$$$, $300 minimum for a set from P.A.W. Anyway, while I was looking for some inexpensive pistons which is pretty much a pipe dream Jim called a fella in Portland, OR who he knows. Apparently this guys has an in with all the pick n pull yards in the area. Anyway Jim calls me this morning to let me know he has a 273 sitting on the floor in his shop and it's standard bore. Apparently the guy from Portland found a motor and drove it up here (6 hour round trip) and dropped it off this AM. Top it all off the guy wouldn't take any money for it, pretty much a Merry Christmas. So as soon as I get his address I'll be sending him and his wife a gift certificate for dinner at one of the local places in Portland. Many people ask me why I like the early A bodies and this is another example of why I like the A body communityand the Mopar hobby as a whole.

Great looking paint scheme dart4forte .
Can hardly wait to see a picture of your Vert towing your Dart.

Got a Christmas present from a stranger who is now a friend. I think I posted somewhere the other day that my engine builder, Jim found some rust pits in the cyl bores of my block that can't be honed. I was looking at the prospect of having to buy .040 pistons since the block was already .030 over. MORE $$$$$, $300 minimum for a set from P.A.W. Anyway, while I was looking for some inexpensive pistons which is pretty much a pipe dream Jim called a fella in Portland, OR who he knows. Apparently this guys has an in with all the pick n pull yards in the area. Anyway Jim calls me this morning to let me know he has a 273 sitting on the floor in his shop and it's standard bore. Apparently the guy from Portland found a motor and drove it up here (6 hour round trip) and dropped it off this AM. Top it all off the guy wouldn't take any money for it, pretty much a Merry Christmas. So as soon as I get his address I'll be sending him and his wife a gift certificate for dinner at one of the local places in Portland. Many people ask me why I like the early A bodies and this is another example of why I like the A body communityand the Mopar hobby as a whole.

WOW talk about a good guy! That sure is one sweet early christmas present.

cant beat that deal,,,,did you run out and buy a lotto ticket ?? i wouldnt throw out the other 273,,,good crank,and rods to sweeten up a 318...

cant beat that deal,,,,did you run out and buy a lotto ticket ?? i wouldnt throw out the other 273,,,good crank,and rods to sweeten up a 318...

Crank and rods will be set aside for another project. Unfortunately it's a 65 block so I'm sure they are not 920s but I won;t know until I look at it. Jim didn't have time, had to leave to visit family.

as fas as i know all 273 had floating pistons,,so the rods and steel crank would sweeten up a 318,, im sure some over sized 273 piston would work in a 318, or get a 318 piston for a floating pin,,,,1967 318s had a steel 273 crank and floating pistons,,

Hi guys , I am new at this forum stuff so first I wanted to comment on DART4FORTE'S 64 resto, MAN WHAT A GREAT JOB YOU DID ON THAT CAR, IT'S AN ART TO GETTING THINGS DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND LIKE GOOD ART IT SURE IS BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT!!!
but not to the A bodies, I just finished AND HAD TO SELL my 69 cuda restoration, it went from a stock 318 purchased for a GQ photoshoot) . After the shoot i had an idea to add a reverse spin supercharger tucked away by the radiator and a custom built airbox (sleeper style) using a beefed up original air cleaner lid, to a 360, .60 over aluminum racing heads, roller rockers, 518 manual shift overdrive and a dual fuel (propane+ pump gas) 200 mile an hour autobahn cruiser.
now I just acquired a 64 dart convertible with a slant six and a 904 pushbutton tranny, yesterday while driving the trans locked up temporarily when it shifted to second gear it almost felt like the trans went from first to reverse then back to first???
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this problem? Prior to this new situation the car shifted fine? I bought a used 904 with a recent rebuilt from a 73 duster and when i got it home and the car on stands I realized that the shifting mechanism will not work, Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated

Hi guys , I am new at this forum stuff so first I wanted to comment on DART4FORTE'S 64 resto, MAN WHAT A GREAT JOB YOU DID ON THAT CAR, IT'S AN ART TO GETTING THINGS DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND LIKE GOOD ART IT SURE IS BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT!!!
but not to the A bodies, I just finished AND HAD TO SELL my 69 cuda restoration, it went from a stock 318 purchased for a GQ photoshoot) . After the shoot i had an idea to add a reverse spin supercharger tucked away by the radiator and a custom built airbox (sleeper style) using a beefed up original air cleaner lid, to a 360, .60 over aluminum racing heads, roller rockers, 518 manual shift overdrive and a dual fuel (propane+ pump gas) 200 mile an hour autobahn cruiser.
now I just acquired a 64 dart convertible with a slant six and a 904 pushbutton tranny, yesterday while driving the trans locked up temporarily when it shifted to second gear it almost felt like the trans went from first to reverse then back to first???
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this problem? Prior to this new situation the car shifted fine? I bought a used 904 with a recent rebuilt from a 73 duster and when i got it home and the car on stands I realized that the shifting mechanism will not work, Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated

If you use the 73 904 you'll have to do away with the pushbutton and go with a aftermarket cable shifter. I would spring for a re-build and be done with it. Keep the pushbutton. Is your Dart a manual top?

Hi dart4forte, Yes the dart gt is a manual top I am looking for a replacement rear window, the one in it is plastic, do you know if they had an option for a glass window and an electric top? I would send a picture but i dont have a url with images only on my desktop

Hi dart4forte, Yes the dart gt is a manual top I am looking for a replacement rear window, the one in it is plastic, do you know if they had an option for a glass window and an electric top? I would send a picture but i dont have a url with images only on my desktop

Do you have the latches that hold down the top? Anyway to get a picture. I'll have to check on the rear glass. The top I got came with the plexiglass. Also, I've seen 64s with the power top so I would guess it was an option.

John did you sell the car and did the postman leave you the speedo and yes the 64 Darts came with a power top I have two of them

Been awhile since I posted pics on the progress but as you can see things are moving along. The goal at this point is to take the car to SpringFling however many things on the car won't be finished.

Johns Dart 013.jpg

Johns Dart 006.jpg

Johns Dart 011.jpg

Johns Dart 001.jpg

Johns Dart 002.jpg

Johns Dart 003.jpg

Johns Dart 005.jpg

Johns Dart 007.jpg

Johns Dart 012.jpg

looks great! i hope to see you at spring fling. i dont know which way you are going down. but we will be shooting down 5 friday. im not sure what time we are leaving though.

looks great! i hope to see you at spring fling. i dont know which way you are going down. but we will be shooting down 5 friday. im not sure what time we are leaving though.

We plan on being there Wednesday afternoon. That way we can do some cruising on Van Nuys blvd that evening. Probably doing some sight seeing Thgursday and then the Malibu cruise Friday.

man its looking GREAT,,,, take your time dont worry about missing an event,, i wish i would of completley finished,,,every thing i wanted to do and still need to do some,, the old saying is,,ONCE IT RUN,S IT,S DONE,,

Well we lit the motor on Sunday, runs strong. Had a noise. Turned out the be the converter bolts rubbing the tranny shield. In the shop now getting the top installed. here's some pics before we lit the motor.

Johns_Dart_043[1].jpg

Johns_Dart_044[1].jpg

Johns_Dart_053[1].jpg

Johns_Dart_054[1].jpg

Johns_Dart_055[1].jpg

Johns_Dart_057[1].jpg

-
Back