My 68 Dart GT

-
Thanks everyone & chamugtx !
The color is 2015 Platinum Bronze Metallic - kinda hard to tell in pics - will take more out in the sun once I get her running again!

thanks again!

Mike

Curious, it looks like from the pics that you did all the painting of the engine compartment with the engine in place?

Is this the case or was the motor out at some point?

Hey parishpbs -

No, I painted everything with the engine in the car as I don't have the equipment to take it out - I just took everything off the engine and the engine compartment in order to paint and try to do a good job - spent a lot of time doing the "details" to make everything look new again.

thanks!

Mike

Thanks Ben Drinkin !
I am proud of how it came out - looks very "factory" and not over done which is what I was going for.......

Thanks again man !

Mike

I have dun this before but I was about 20 years younger and it is possible :glasses7:

Turned out super Mike (68dartgtman), looks great with zero fog/over spay on area's tuff to keep wet as you work your way around the engine :color:

Great job, love seeing the pictures of it coming together!! Looks great!

What color did you paint the engine bay?

Hey Guys,

The color is a 2015 Platinum Desert Bronze Metallic - basically it's Platinum with a hint of Bronze with lots of Metallic ! I really think it will be very nice on the entire car as I am keeping the black interior and putting the black vinyl top back on..... should come out to be very sharp look - I'm going for the "Luxury Sport " look overall with this build.

thanks !

Mike

just curious about your A/C setup, is that factory?
it looks like you are using a non-A/C alternator bracket there?

Hey diymirage,

As far as I know it's all factory - it is a factory a/c compressor and hook ups - all the brackets were on the car when I bought it. They look original and as I am the 3rd owner and the car only has 126k miles I would think they are correct.

thanks

Mike

it looks like an A body A/C compressor allright, BUT the alternator brackets looks like stock non A/C units

the small triangular one on the top is omitted on an A/C car and replaced by a much larger bracket which also holds the A/C compressor

the banana looking one on the bottom has an extra support leg on the A/C cars that bolts to the cylinder head

im kinda curious to see the A/C mounting bracket on your car

and not to be a killjoy, but shouldn't factory A/C cars have 2 belts running the A/C compressor and the alternator and then have a 3rd belt for the waterpump and the powersteering?

don't get me wrong, im not trying to rain on your parade (I wish my engine bay looked anything like that) just trying to figure this whole thing out

Hey Guys,

The color is a 2015 Platinum Desert Bronze Metallic - basically it's Platinum with a hint of Bronze with lots of Metallic ! I really think it will be very nice on the entire car as I am keeping the black interior and putting the black vinyl top back on..... should come out to be very sharp look - I'm going for the "Luxury Sport " look overall with this build.

thanks !

Mike

Love that color! Sorta reminds me of the Silver Metallic that came originally on mine. That will look GREAT on your entire car.

Super excellent!

And...a small block with air...any chance of some more detailed shots of the compressor mounting? Its been so long since I had mine off, I can't recall how to get it all back together.

-T&T

Hey Guys,

thanks !

Mike

Looks great Mike! Love the color.

I'm glad I asked since it does not look like an engine in place job. Sounds like others are surprised also.

Nice work for sure.

hey diymirage -
This car has the triangle bracket which bolts at the bottom of the a/c compressor - bolts to the water pump - along with another triangle bracket that bolts to the front of the cylinder head .......... the bolt for the alternator runs through both and bolts directly into the cylinder head - this is the way the car came and the a/c has a pulley under the a/c compressor that is used to tighten the belt - it also has a tension pulley that the backside of the a/c belts runs against that bolts to the power steering bracket.
Now as far as having 2 belts on the alternator & a/c compressor - I don't think these cars have that set up as there is nothing else that needs a second belt - maybe your thinking of a newer model that would have emissions hardware ..ie...smog pump ..

this car has 1 belt that runs a/c, 1 belt that runs alternator and 1 belt that runs power steering.
As for Teeth & Tires - I will take detail pics of the brackets that hold the a/c compressor on this weekend and post.

thanks

Mike

thanks for the extra info Mike

my duster has a /6 in it and im getting a 360 ready to drop in there
the A/C compressor that came with the 360 looks nothing like an A body unit and im having a ball figuring all this out

Hey diymirage - after looking at your a/c compressor pics it seems your a/c compressor is a little different than mine - maybe yours is a newer model? That's why your brackets & pulleys are different?

thanks

Mike

Hey diymirage - ok - that would be the difference - 360 verses a 318 - I'm not sure but I really don't know if a 360 was an engine option in 1968 for the Dart - I've only heard of 6,318,383,440 - that's really all I know - sorry man!
good luck - maybe post the question out on the forum under "engines" and see what you can find out.

thanks

Mike

Curious, looks awesome. Did you use a touch up gun or a regular one. You can stop by my house and do mine any time you wish.

-
Back