My barn find what would you pay???

-
Looks like it might be an original 340 car with a completely swapped in drivetrain. As to the question about what it's worth. It's worth nothing to me because I think the 73 and up Darts are ugly as home made sin. If you like the car, make an offer on it......a low one because it is likely not original at all anymore.

It appears to be a swapped in 318 in a 340 car.

Only 340 cars had the EGR valve blank-off plate on the right firewall next to the OSAC Valve.

Be sure to check out the floor pans and the top under that vinyl roof.. Does it have the fold down rear seat ??? Looks like a good project for sure. looks like it could be road worthy pretty easy..

$2000 tops if it has paperwork.

things against it:

Rust
Non-Console
non matching engine in it
Column Auto

Otherwise....awesome find!!!!

I just parted out this exact car with very few exceptions. With regards to the rearend question... When a performance 1973 and later A body is equipped with front disc brakes, it has the 8 1/4" rear, which is what this car will have. A quick check would also determine if it is a suregrip. Being that it is an automatic car, it should also have the SB727, so a quick check under the car at the pan will yield you this information. With regards to the engine, a quick check on the front of the block under the drivers side head will indicate whether it is a 340 or not. Also, check for the cast crank dampener, as a 340 from 73 will have a cast crank, and a 318 will not.

If all 3 of these drivetrain pieces are in place, or at least the trans being a 727 and the motor being stamped 340, I would venture a guess that someone along the way swapped out the 4 bbl carb and intake to save on fuel during the "high" gas prices and heavy inflation ladened 1970's!!! That may also be why it was mothballed, running a 318 intake on a 340 isn't exactly port-match heaven!! If the motor is stamped 340, I would almost bet my bottom dollar that the drivetrain is all original.

As for value??? I paid $1500.00 for a complete, rusty hulk of a parts car with almost the same options that yours has, except for bucket seats and a console. The car here in question should be priced between $1500.00 and $2500.00 IMO. If it was running but not yet roadworthy...$3000.00. Good luck with the deal, I hope you get it!!1 Geof

The car has dual exhaust, looks like a 6 or 7(?) blade fan? Heavy duty cooling? I knew a guy in high school (about 1975) who had a 1970 340 Duster that his dad had bought him. He kept getting into trouble with it. His dad finally took the intake & carb (and I'm pretty sure the camshaft) to the salvage yard and swapped them even up for 318 pieces & put them in the 340 to slow the guy down. Suppose something similar could've happened to this car? Need to check the block numbers. Maybe you'll get lucky!

If the block numbers say 340 I wouldn't let on to the owner unless he already knows. I'd point out the wrong intake & carb, say the wrong engine was in the car, & use it to bargain for a low price. All's fair.....:snakeman:

(He's probably reading this.)

ill be the optimistic one! is is a 340 with a swapped out 318 intake/carb.lol

Crawl under and look up at the sides of the block. You will see large raised cast numbers,amonst them will be the cid. Take a bright light!

Crawl under and look up at the sides of the block. You will see large raised cast numbers,amonst them will be the cid. Take a bright light!

I don't know why people grab the hard way out Rob Eppler already posted, look at the front of the block on the drivers side just below the head/ block parting line. A series of stamped numbers has the CID in the first few digits

Just my observation but the exhaust manifolds appear to be 318 manifolds, didn't all 340's come with the "larger" manifolds?

Not all that hard really. Sometimes it's easier this way. Just depends how much crap is in the way :)

Another observation... it has the 4 bbl kickdown linkage still in place. I believe that you are going to find that this car has the original 340 still in place, with a changed manifold. As to the comment about the LP340... the 340's HP numbers were in a constant state of decline after it's introduction in 1968. The 68 motor has the best cam selection, with 2 offerings, the hottest being for the manual equipped cars and a slightly milder version for automatics. In 69, all came with the milder automatic version. Starting in 72, the HP ratings were changed to reflect "net" HP instead of "gross" HP, making it seem like the motor lost a lot of HP, which it did. By 1973, the HP exhaust manifolds were gone, garden variety camshaft was in place, along with a cast crank and I believe about 290HP net. This may lead one to believe that the 73 340 was a LP engine, but it was still actually more HP than the 318 and 360, which was poised to replace it the following year.

I'll go on record and predict that the 340 is still in place!!! Geof

I think $2500 is a fair price even if its got a 318 in the 340s place. Start at $1800 and work your way up.

Not all that hard really. Sometimes it's easier this way. Just depends how much crap is in the way :)

That is the way i do it because on some motors you dont know how many coats of paint are on them and rather the owner given me funny looks when i take my knife out i just get a flash light and crawl under it

Yep. Sometimes that stamped area is real heavy with crud too,being right under the valve cover.

well guys just found out its a 318 in it so you guys called it=D>... Im thinking of taking a pass on it .It dont have the orignal motor so it took the wind out of my sails...:bs:

I'd still think about it,if the price is right. I don't take that much stock in matching #'s engines,unless your planning on making a Barret Jackson car out of it. Could still make a nice ride. My '73 Sport ( H-code car) came with a tired 360,and now has a '72 340 in it. My Duster came with a 318 (also H-code car) and will probably get a stroker motor.

just drop your offer and see where it goes from there my car sat for 15yrs with no motor it got scraped in 86, now it has an early 360 but at a glance you wouldnt know

Make the offer! Really strokerscamp ugly?? man your tough heres mine I dont think its ugly and its done whoot whoot.

Attachments

• Mopar November 033.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 108
-
Back