My Blown 340

-

blown340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just thought I would post some pics of my 70 duster project. It started out as a 318 car that I bought so i could put the blown motor that I had from an unfinished and sold pro street project. I swapped the disc brake k frame under it and moved the leaf springs in 3 inches and built mini tubs for it. It has 15x12's on N50-15's tucked under. I have,but have not installed the following...8 or 10 point cage,I bought it so long ago I really don't remember
Chassisworks ladder bars and coil over springs for the rear

I changed the deep sump pan back to a stock pan as I was tired of hitting it because it hung down so low. I also have to weld the back of the intake manifold as it has a crack in it...I think I was running the blower belt too tight.

I am also looking into a rear disc brake setup as I will have the rear end out to weld up the ladder bar and shock mounts.

I live in Sacramento Ca but work is based out of Orlando Fl so I don't get home all the often to work on it. Hopefully at Thanksgiving and Christmas time I'll get to work on it. These were when it was together

car and ped 0100 (Custom).JPG

car and ped 008 (Medium).jpg

car and ped 0091 (Medium).JPG

The car looks great so far, I like your ideas and keep sending pics of your work!!!!

Thanks,will do....my tax return is waiting at home so I'm going to order new axle ends and a narrowing jig from Chassisworks

Thats a very sweet ride!.

Hey I see your from Washington, I sold a 70 Duster pro street project to my friend in Port Angeles Washington,he in turn sold it to someone else.

I would sorta kinda like to find this car,as It was my first car. It has a narrowed frame and big tires in the rear and an Art Morrison Mustang II clip up front. Sold minus motor and trans,body was flat black primer,but rear frame and rear end were all Porsche red. I have pics but they are not digital so I would have to scan them. Just wondering if you might have seen this car?

Ohh thanks for the nice comment

Nice ,love those N50-15's .I have a set under my dart,reminds me of high school back in the 70's

kool not many blown small block mopars around,,,,lets here whats in the motor ??? mine is an X block 340 6;71 dyers blower,dyers modified offenhouser intake, 7.6 compression,ultradyne solid lifter car 547/527
j heads with 2.02 valves bowls cleaned up a little,custom 2 inch headers.
4 speed 4;56 gears 33 inch tall 22 inch wide hoosiers,,2, 650 holleys reworked to flow 862 cfm each by a blower carb shop,,,msd,

Very nice work. Do you have power figures? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did the motor cost to build?

kool not many blown small block mopars around,,,,lets here whats in the motor ??? mine is an X block 340 6;71 dyers blower,dyers modified offenhouser intake, 7.6 compression,ultradyne solid lifter car 547/527
j heads with 2.02 valves bowls cleaned up a little,custom 2 inch headers.
4 speed 4;56 gears 33 inch tall 22 inch wide hoosiers,,2, 650 holleys reworked to flow 862 cfm each by a blower carb shop,,,msd,

I'm running a 6-71 hampton blower 11% underdriven 7.5 Venolia pistons ZGS rings crower solid cam..specs I don't know off the top of my head,I have the cam card at home,some port work done,Harlen Sharpe roller rockers, 1 7/8 Hookers into 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters(the exhaust may all change,I'm working on getting the exhaust all the way out the back as it dumps in front of the rear end right now and give you a headache after you drive it for awhile.

2 barry grant 650's MSD with a rev limiter. I just got an Innovate air fuel ratio set up,so when it goes back together again I will start tuning on it. Oh 3.91 gears in the rear.....may go to 3.55's

Thrash the motor was actually built 10-12 years ago and we didn't have the right carbs at the time to dyno it,they were guessing around 500-550 hp ,the blower puts out 9-10 lbs of boost at 11% under and I have yet to change that....cost guess would be around 12k maybe

Nice ,love those N50-15's .I have a set under my dart,reminds me of high school back in the 70's

Haha,funny you mention this..My first car was a 70 duster that ended up a half finished pro-street project then sold(see above post,I'm now looking for it again). The tires and wheel setup as well as the motor and trans are out of that car. I graduated in 79 and used to drive that car all over the place...ran 12.80's@109 street tires thru the mufflers.Single 4b as the blower came later.

Hey I see your from Washington, I sold a 70 Duster pro street project to my friend in Port Angeles Washington,he in turn sold it to someone else.

I would sorta kinda like to find this car,as It was my first car. It has a narrowed frame and big tires in the rear and an Art Morrison Mustang II clip up front. Sold minus motor and trans,body was flat black primer,but rear frame and rear end were all Porsche red. I have pics but they are not digital so I would have to scan them. Just wondering if you might have seen this car?

Ohh thanks for the nice comment

I will keep my eyes open,Im a little south of that in Vancouver but there are a few guys on here from that area and right around it-you may get lucky!.Its a pretty tight knit bunch of mopar guys around me so I will put the word out,good luck!.

I will keep my eyes open,Im a little south of that in Vancouver but there are a few guys on here from that area and right around it-you may get lucky!.Its a pretty tight knit bunch of mopar guys around me so I will put the word out,good luck!.

Cool,thank you very much. I emailed the guy I sold it too looking for info or pics so hopefully he will get back to me.

here's 71 blown 340 - it's torn apart right now undergoing a lot of upgrades but will back rompin the streets by xmas...

PA200413.JPG

absolutely awsome Duster! To me nothing looks meaner than a Duster with a big blower rising out of the hood.

here's 71 blown 340 - it's torn apart right now undergoing a lot of upgrades but will back rompin the streets by xmas...

Nice ride,my first Duster was green like yours....I love that color

I have to say 'blown340' that I'm jealous!! I've always wanted to put a blower on my 340 but don't know enough about the 'ins & outs' of them to really get started or should I say to not get burned when making the correct purchase.........
I think it looks so intimadating to other cars when they see that 'blower' sticking out of the hood!!! Mean isn't the word for it.
Is there some insight you can give on the install, componants, horse power gain, etc of installing a blower on my 340?

Jealous in virginia..............
Greg.......mtn_jake

Just kidding about being jealous but would really like to find out more on the blower stuff I listed above.

I have to say 'blown340' that I'm jealous!! I've always wanted to put a blower on my 340 but don't know enough about the 'ins & outs' of them to really get started or should I say to not get burned when making the correct purchase.........
I think it looks so intimadating to other cars when they see that 'blower' sticking out of the hood!!! Mean isn't the word for it.
Is there some insight you can give on the install, componants, horse power gain, etc of installing a blower on my 340?

Jealous in virginia..............
Greg.......mtn_jake

Just kidding about being jealous but would really like to find out more on the blower stuff I listed above.

Well at the time this engine was built,Don Hampton Blowers and BDS were they only ones that had a complete kit ready to go.

I chose Hampton because his was a little cheaper,but If I remember right I got better customer service from him than BDS.

The kit included the following: carb mounting base(which I replaced with a different one so the carbs are lower,the blower itself including the front drive. 2 pulleys (depending on what over or underdrive you choose)Idler plate and pulley ,the harmonic balancer was replaced with a machined hub that the lower fan belt pulley bolts to.

Here is a link to his website...A kit nowadays will run you $3725.00
http://www.hamptonblowers.com/ I see he has a video you can buy that tells all about supercharging(I just ordered it and watched it,it's a very lite overview on a blower install)

My carbs were first sent to Barry Grant then to Holley where they were powder coated,then anodized and chromed.

I think the key to a blower is having a good strong bottom end as well as good fuel,exhaustand ignition system. You can get different size pulleys which will under,overdrive or run your blower 1 to 1 with the engine. I have a bigger pulley on the blower so it is running slower than the engine. It's 11% underdriven. I could swap the pulleys(smaller on top)which would make it 11% overdriven but as it sits,it creates 10 lbs of boost,so thats my starting point. The other thing is a good cooling system. When I first got it running I had a aftermarket aluminum radiator and 2 electric fans in front.
As long as the car was moving it would run pretty cool but would overheat if stuck in traffic. I put a flex fan on it,while keeping the 2 electrics and even on 100 degree days in Sac it won't go over 190

BlowerDrive Service has a lot of technical info in their catalog, I worked with the machine shop that built it,Venolia pistons,Hampton and Bruce Crower of Crower cams to come up with what I have so far. I also have a street supercharging book at the shop which has a ton of good info in it. When I'm home for Thanksgiving I'll look and see who wrote it...Hope this helps somewhat

sorry i forgot 6% under driven, 13 pounds of boost at full throttle,,
also off the road,, doing some up grades,, ron francis wiring,new aluminum radiator,hiding all wiring under the hood,,hopefuly a tremec 5 speed,,and maybe an alterkation and a repaint,.,,

sorry i forgot 6% under driven, 13 pounds of boost at full throttle,,
also off the road,, doing some up grades,, ron francis wiring,new aluminum radiator,hiding all wiring under the hood,,hopefuly a tremec 5 speed,,and maybe an alterkation and a repaint,.,,

Your car is badass dude...do you run it on pump gas?

thanks,,yes i run it on 93 pump gas,, when i put it back together i think im going to slow the blower down a little i may try 11% under like you,,
you say your making 9 pounds at 11 under,,,thats perfect for pump gas,that way i can put a little more advance in to it,,,

hampton blower are the only ones making a smal block mopar blower intake that i know of,,which is available thru big als toy box,, my intake was built by gary dyer of dyers blower in alsip ill,,,i believe dyers doent make any oarts except drive pulleys,and repair or rebuild,,he is into cnc connecting rods for the roundy round guys now,,,

ALL tho dyers is the originator of the street super charger industry,,,

-
Back