My Car Might Have Changed Someone's Life.

-

seabee

Reaction score
Got some incredible news recently and since it is Mopar related I thought I would share it here with the FABO Family.

Last year, I noticed some punkass kid new to the neighborhood hanging out with the other punkass teens in our subdivision. I am always in the garage working on the car and to be honest, these punk *** kids and their annoying behaviour was really pissing me off. This kid is a typical punk *** teen of today. Hanging out, talking loud, texting, obnoxious, etc..even has a punk *** mohawk haircut. Ugh!

One day he was riding his bike passed the driveway and confidently asked about my car. To be honest, I didn't want to talk to him about it. I was even weary about him and his punk *** friends trying to steal it or my tools.

He told me he was visiting his Mom and her boyfriend for the summer but his Father back in Mississippi had an old Corvette in his backyard but it did not run and he never worked on it. We talked about what year and look of Corvette it was for a minute and I went back to my neverending repairs on the Barracuda.

A few days later later I was once again working on the car trying to align the steering shaft and coupler to the steering box. He was outside being a punk *** kid on his bike so I reluctantly asked for his help. He turned the steering wheel slowly while I looked for the right notch to slide the couple fully onto the box. After a few tries we got it on and I thanked his punk *** for the help. I expected our little project to immediately send him fleeing for the xbox the first chance he had but instead he stayed and asked question after question about what we did and why we did it that way.

After that, every time he rode by the garage he would pop in and say hi and ask if I needed help or talk about what he learned about cars on the internet. I wouldpass him a screwdriver or wrench and let him do some minor stuff while answering his questions. He left at the end of summer. TBH, I miss his punk *** around the garage.

A few days ago we were out conversing with our neighbors and his Mom was there. We had never met formally but she had something she wanted me to know. Turns out, her son has taken up a passion for cars and him and his father began restoring a corvette that was sitting in the yard back in Mississippi. He has been talking about pursuing an ASE cert or even further studying mechanical engineering. This school year his grades have been excellent and he will be visiting again this Sumner. Mom says he still asks about the Barracuda and wants to know if he can help when he comes back.

Hell yeah he can.

I'll resist going into some "it takes a village" diatribe or "parents these days" rhetoric but must admit that PITA car project of mine has taken on a different perspective. But then again,I've saved the fuel tank replacement project for when he gets here next week. So we'll see how his punk *** likes cars then......

Wow, that is very cool!!!

A year ago my neighbor came over and asked if I could show his Cub Scout troop some basics about cars....I said I would love it, had a shop full of kids and they really had fun, really liked the old cars. A few days later, the neighbor kid drew this in his driveway.....hid dad also has a 68 Mustang :glasses7:

SeeBee,Nice story,and then some.Help the kid. Man,the kid likes,nuts and bolts,over computers. Awesome.

Great story and a great thing you took the time to bother with a "punkass kid"! I was one of those once too!
It can be surprising what lies beneath.....

The way you talk about the punkass kid made me feellike I was reading some Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino" fan fiction or something lol!

Cool story! And super cool of you to take the time to teach the kid! Tell him when he is ready to leave the pansy Corvette club and come to the dark side, he should visit FABO.

Ok, maybe in a way that wouldn't possibly hurt his feelings...

that's great, normally they don't touch anything unless it resembles a x box controller. one of my nephews wanted to get into older cars and I found him a maverick grabber and told him I would help him on it aslong as he would help too but there was no way I could figure out how to wire the controller up to it so it sat. him and his father recently sold it. he told me that the reason he sold it was because I stopped working on it

That's a great story. That's great of you to make a difference. tmm

good story..........sometimes our attitude keeps us from engaging some of these kids but you never know unless you try

so what you learned from this is that you can't judge a book by its cover ??

sounds like you learned just as much as the kid... thats a good thing.

we were/are all punk-*** kids to somebody. Thanks for being "that guy“ That kid ,if he makes a go of it, will remember you long after you've forgotten him.

And here you were complaining about the never ending project.

If the kid stays true and on track that never ending project has had a bigger effect than just being a PITA. For both of you.

Great story! I have a typical punk *** teenager myself, but he also has a keen interest in cars. I'm hoping the punk *** part is just a phase, but I'm sure his love for cars will last him a lifetime!

That's some good stuff there.

He now knows the world is held together with
welds, glue, nails, nuts/bolts and screws and not a line
on some paper or screen.
He also now knows the guy that can build and assemble
it is just as important as the guy that designed it.

Thanks for taking the time to be a mentor and guide and starting him
down a better path!

YOU ROCK DUDE!!!:headbang:

That is great. People complain about 'the kids today,' but not everyone makes an effort to help them.

Nice job! I ahve a nephew that is the same way, his parents(my brother) not interested in what he likes, so when he's home it's all video games and leave me alone. Get him around any thing mechanical and he is on it. It goes to show, parents need to show interest in what the their kids are doing, no matter what it is.

Heck, I got a goofy 19 yr old girl, and damn if I don't dig what she is doing. She makes it easy though. I'd brag, but I'm at work, and don't have that time right now.

Great story!

Thank You for letting him get involved. Sometimes we
can only plant the seeds and hope for a good crop.

I think you have done well.

Seabee, that is absolutely outstanding that you were able to turn that PA kid's life around with just a simple act of kindness. You never know what longterm influence you may have on someone with just the slightest action. Now the kid has something to look forward to at both his dads and his moms place.
Here's an idea, take him to the Mopar Club of San Diego's "All-American Car Show XV", July 20, at Mira Costa College San Elijo campus in Cardiff. Some of us from Inland Mopars Car Club will be there. Look us up and introduce us to him.
I'm curious what his haircut will look like this summer.

Does the kid have a name or do you call him "punkass" when he's in your garage? LOL

Lol. "Punkass" describes my negative attitude towards his generation. After meeting him he actually is a very respectful and bright young man. I don't think some exposure to my car changed him from a bad path or anything like that but gave him some direction into what he wants to do. I'm sure he'll do great no matter what he does.

I also have a nephew who graduated HS last year. He is very well behaved (too well imo, live a little!) He's having a hard time focusing on what to do. But so did I when his age, and even still today. He shows no interest in cars at all or much anything that doesn't involve video games.

I think this story is what it is all about... Investing in people whether old or young.... Great story...

-
Back