My Dart Swinger Project!

-
Cool! Progress! Just welded my 8.8 tube back together today!
What are the overnight temps up there?
Its 55 right now not sure what the low is it got up to like 73 today it was wonderful I think the high tomorrow is like 57

Dont paint in too low of a temp. It's too cold in my shop today. In the 40s and rainy. We had a bunch of unseasonably warm weather last 2 weeks and I took advantage of it.

I have no idea. All my stuff is Akzo Noble single stage. Do a google search on your product. Google makes everybody an expert.

The stuff I have is moto base or something like that Barry from spi recommended it

Yea I know I'm gonna wait and see what the weather is like tomorrow. How cold is too cold for the basecoat?
Yea I was thinking in the 50's, that's why I asked. But you know, don't rush it.
Grind and weld while it's cool. Not like me and wait until it's 90.:(:realcrazy::BangHead:

Last edited:
Good for you!! Looks great. What did you use for the black on the outer fender wells? What are you using for a compressor. Just curious. Glad your back at it.

I used rattle can from Bi-Mart... Jpar recommended it...lol...
The gold was rattle can?
My inner fenders are rattle can rustoleum gloss black. Here is a before and after

20200321_165822.jpg

Good for you!! Looks great. What did you use for the black on the outer fender wells? What are you using for a compressor. Just curious. Glad your back at it.
The black is rattle can rustoleum. Lol looks good tho. My compressor is a harbor freight 21 gallon 2.5 hp it's not much but it works I ran it at about 40 psi it cut on a few times but it stayed caught up I never lost noticeable air pressure. My spray gun is a gel cheapo harbor freight too. I'm poor bro all my equipment is cheap lol

Yea I was thinking in the 50's, that's why I asked. But you know, don't rush it.
Grind and weld while it's cool. Not like me and wait until it's 90.:(:realcrazy::BangHead:
Yea I got my rearend set up to work on tomorrow just in case it's to cold to paint. Today was beautiful I would love to have a couple weeks straight of 70s and not have to work haha the problem here is it goes from raining to nice back to cold back to raining all in the same day! Haha

The black is rattle can rustoleum. Lol looks good tho. My compressor is a harbor freight 21 gallon 2.5 hp it's not much but it works I ran it at about 40 psi it cut on a few times but it stayed caught up I never lost noticeable air pressure. My spray gun is a gel cheapo harbor freight too. I'm poor bro all my equipment is cheap lol
Man Don’t feel bad I’m broke too! I don’t even have a compressor that’s why I’m asking you. I would like to get my engine compartment done this year. I know you use stuff to get the job done on a budget. I can respect that.

Man Don’t feel bad I’m broke too! I don’t even have a compressor that’s why I’m asking you. I would like to get my engine compartment done this year. I know you use stuff to get the job done on a budget. I can respect that.
I just got absolutely everything out of there.. clean the living crap out of it... Primered it and painted it rattle can style LOL ..

I would recommend that compressor it has been a good one for me. It's around 150 bucks and you can get 20 percent off of that so like 120. However if you can afford more get a bigger one. You wont be sorry lol I couldn't afford more so I got the biggest one I could afford. It does what I need it too but it does struggle to keep up sometimes I have to wait for it to air back up when I'm running stuff like my sandblaster or air grinder. It's not quite big enough for that. But stuff like impacts, pumping up tires spraying paint it works great.

Yea I know I'm gonna wait and see what the weather is like tomorrow. How cold is too cold for the basecoat?

70° is what these paints are designed to be painted at. If you are painting at 60° you need a really fast evaporating reducer for the basecoat so that it gets off the surface fast instead of running down the inside of the engine sidepans and core support as each coat is setting up.

Either wait till it warms up to 70° to paint, find a garage to roll the car into and heat the garage to 70°, or string up a temporary structure with plastic over the top and box the sides in with plywood and blow some heat in there with an electric heater or whatever.

Can't paint with too low of air temp, just like you can't paint with too small of an air compressor. It is trouble all the way around.

70° is what these paints are designed to be painted at. If you are painting at 60° you need a really fast evaporating reducer for the basecoat so that it gets off the surface fast instead of running down the inside of the engine sidepans and core support as each coat is setting up.

Either wait till it warms up to 70° to paint, find a garage to roll the car into and heat the garage to 70°, or string up a temporary structure with plastic over the top and box the sides in with plywood and blow some heat in there with an electric heater or whatever.

Can't paint with too low of air temp, just like you can't paint with too small of an air compressor. It is trouble all the way around.
Challenge accepted! Haha just kidding. Yea I was thinking 70 was the magic number It was 73 today. Idk if it will be that warm tomorrow according to weather it wont be. If not I will wait and do something else. I know I'm battling enough as it is without poor temperatures haha. I'm not expecting it to turn out perfect it's not a show car after all. It's just a backyard budget project. If the paint looks as good as the primer I will be happy it exceeded my expectations.

Painting outside, the dew will kill the shine.
At least throw an easy-up over the top of it when you finish painting.

I'd wrap it in a tarp, and leave it in primer till you get decent even temps at 70 or above. Just because the air is 70° it doesnt mean the metal has decently warmed up to that temperature. Your car needs other work done, so do some of the other things it needs.

Painting outside, the dew will kill the shine.
At least throw an easy-up over the top of it when you finish painting.
I'd wrap it in a tarp, and leave it in primer till you get decent even temps at 70 or above. Just because the air is 70° it doesnt mean the metal has decently warmed up to that temperature. Your car needs other work done, so do some of the other things it needs.
Good point Matt!
As far the dew I'm gonna throw the hood on after its painted to protect when I paint the whole car on buying one of these from harbor freight. Its gonna double as my garage and paint booth lol

Screenshot_20200322-130237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good point Matt!
As far the dew I'm gonna throw the hood on after its painted to protect when I paint the whole car on buying one of these from harbor freight. Its gonna double as my garage and paint booth lol

View attachment 1715491555
My wife and I bought a 10 x 20 from Costco for about 228 and we were able to put it together in about a half hour with no tools and it's lasted for about five years next to the house....

One thing or I should say two things about these portable garages... definitely use all the parts and zip it up all the way around as each piece interlocks and makes a solid structure, as in don't just put the sides on or something like that...
Also try to protect it by putting it next to the house or garage or between the trees or something like that and not out in the wide open...
When these practices are not implemented I've heard stories such as "it was in the neighbor's yard" and "last I seen was when it was going over the telephone wires"....

One thing or I should say two things about these portable garages... definitely use all the parts and zip it up all the way around as each piece interlocks and makes a solid structure, as in don't just put the sides on or something like that...
Also try to protect it by putting it next to the house or garage or between the trees or something like that and not out in the wide open...
When these practices are not implemented I've heard stories such as "it was in the neighbor's yard" and "last I seen was when it was going over the telephone wires"....
Yea I was thinking the same I'm gonna put it right beside my porch where i park my truck that way I will be close to the outside out without having to run a bunch of extension cords for the fans and compressor

20200321_192411.jpg

Yea I was thinking the same I'm gonna put it right beside my porch where i park my truck that way I will be close to the outside out without having to run a bunch of extension cords for the fans and compressor

View attachment 1715491590
Every time I go under my 98 Dodge and do a oil change or something I think about how Rusty you've claimed yours to be and almost breaking in two..

Every time I go under my 98 Dodge and do a oil change or something I think about how Rusty you've claimed yours to be and almost breaking in two..
It's looking better now I wire wheeled the frame rebuild the whole front suspension. I havent finished painting the frame yet but I have painted the front half. Every thing up front is new now. Eventually I'm gonna replace the rear leafs too. I'm gonna use the white dodge I bought for the the lower doors fenders bed hood and of course the 360

20200320_182916.jpg

20200321_140107.jpg

20200320_183026.jpg

20200321_144013.jpg

20200321_160006.jpg

20200320_183042.jpg

-
Back