My Dog Drank My Choc Milk!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I made a big mug of chocolate milk to go with my home made spicy tacos after a late night working and ran down to the basement to chuck a load of laundry in. What does that take, 30 seconds? I come back upstairs and Maxi's licking her chops and has white stuff all over her muzzle. I look at my glass on the coffee table and all that's left is doggie backwash. Blech! :D I don't think I'll ever use that mug again.

I'm suprised it didn't make her sick. I know how bad chocolate is for a dog so I kept an eye on her, but she's fine.

Funny, they are so smart and seem to understand what they can get away with sometimes. I hear ya about the chocolate scare...a former roommate's 12 lb dachsund went in my bedroom and ate one of those thick Hershey bars I had in a box of camping stuff...but she was just fine.

Funny, they are so smart and seem to understand what they can get away with sometimes. I hear ya about the chocolate scare...a former roommate's 12 lb dachsund went in my bedroom and ate one of those thick Hershey bars I had in a box of camping stuff...but she was just fine.

She must've slurped that down in seconds flat... I think I'll call her the Bratweiller.

Boogy will fallow me to every room in the house if she seen me with a cup of milk :snorting::snorting: and sit and stair at me while I drink it :colors::colors::colors::colors: and wine like a baby :mrgreen:
she loves milk, she's an old girl and I let her have a tea spoon full at times, yep:D right out of my cup
I bet Maxi enjoyed it :colors: we can't turn our heads on these children when it comes to milk
So happy to hear she is fine this morning :cheers:

Glad you dod is ok!

A few years ago my friend had just gotten a puppy (1st dog), he left a pan of choclate brownies out on the kitchen counter, pup jumped up and ate most of it! My friend had no idea it was bad for him, put him in his kennel and went to work for the day, sadly when he got home the dog was dead :angry7:

Boogy will fallow me to every room in the house if she seen me with a cup of milk :snorting::snorting: and sit and stair at me while I drink it :colors::colors::colors::colors: and wine like a baby :mrgreen:
she loves milk, she's an old girl and I let her have a tea spoon full at times, yep:D right out of my cup
I bet Maxi enjoyed it :colors: we can't turn our heads on these children when it comes to milk
So happy to hear she is fine this morning :cheers:

No kidding Mike? None of my previous pooches showed an affinity for milk, but miss milk muzzle sure seemed to have liked it. I knew better than to leave the tacos out, but the milk thing threw me. Thank goodness she's OK, I was really worried about the chocolate.

Glad you dog is ok!

A few years ago my friend had just gotten a puppy (1st dog), he left a pan of choclate brownies out on the kitchen counter, pup jumped up and ate most of it! My friend had no idea it was bad for him, put him in his kennel and went to work for the day, sadly when he got home the dog was dead :angry7:

Oh man, that is so sad. Hopefully someone might read this and it may prevent a puppy/dog death.

My cats are always trying to attack my chocolate milk.

Hey Joe, no worries though. If Maxi gets it all, I've got your back. ;-)

View attachment 275556

Thanks Leanna, you rock! :cheers: There's nothing better than a big glass of milk with tacos or spaggetti.

Yep Joe!!! She loves it
But I don't let her have it ( just a shot ) not knowing what the out come would be.
I bet you remember this old picture of her, and you remember what is in this box :coffee2:

Attachments

• water%2520017.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,184
I had an Irish Setter eat over a half of a pan of fudge one Christmas day. It never hurt her but she was one stupid dog anyway. She could go two doors down and not be able to find her way home before she ate the fudge. Luckily she wandered off one day about a month later and I never saw her again. She was absoletely beautiful but the stupidest dog I ever had.

Yep Joe!!! She loves it
But I don't let her have it ( just a shot ) not knowing what the out come would be.
I bet you remember this old picture of her, and you remember what is in this box :coffee2:

I sure do Mike! Man, Boogy looks great in that picture! OK, off to work....

Last October, my dog found a new bag of M&M peanut Halloween candy and ate like half of it. I told my vet and he said that it was ok. Milk chocolate is ok, it's the dark cooking chocolate that will kill them. FYI.

My dog is still alive today.

Oh man, that is so sad. Hopefully someone might read this and it may prevent a puppy/dog death.
QUOTE]

People can't even keep more kids from drowning in pools every year, but here's hoping they won't let the dog eat chocolate.

Our newfie ate like half a pan of chocolate cookies off the kitchen counter a couple months after we got her. (was 1.5 at the time) I tried to make her get rid of it and nothing happened. I was quite worried though. Now we don't leave anything out anymore on the counter. But now she's taken to staring at herself one of our little tvs. I sometimes wish we knew what dogs thought.

Joe, our son's Jack Russell got into an entire bowl of Hershey's Kisses last Christmas and blew up like a balloon from the chocolate. They rushed him to the vet and had his stomach pumped. It all turned out OK.
The vet told them more than 10% of the dogs weight in chocolate is the danger line - doesn't matter if milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
Best bet is to keep all chocolate away from them just to be on the safe side.
Just like kids - you got to keep an eye on them all the time. Glad it turned out OK.

Pirate just chewed through his harness, perhaps he thought it was chocolate flavored?
trying to fix it so we can go for a walk now,

Attachments

• pirate 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,116
  • pirate 006.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,129
Not to worries as some chocolate is worse than others but none of its really good for them.And i have been down that road more than once as i do dog rescue and have 9 dogs of my own.about 5 years a go my best friend Kramer and his little brother CJ ate a whole bag of Reese peanut butter cup wrapper and plastic bag just pieces left.they never even got sick or the ***** from it.

The picture is of Kramer taken the day he passed away just short of 15 years old.He was truly a dog that was special in so many ways.I'm tearing up just typing this.:angel9:

Attachments

• IM000734.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,136
Last October, my dog found a new bag of M&M peanut Halloween candy and ate like half of it. I told my vet and he said that it was ok. Milk chocolate is ok, it's the dark cooking chocolate that will kill them. FYI.

My dog is still alive today.

My family was in Ankara, Turkey back in '85. This was my fathers second tour over there. We we in Incirlik the first time. Anyway, there was a lady that lived on the top floor in our apartment building there. She had an Old English Sheepdog and fed him Peanut M&M's daily for treats. They never seemed to bother it.
I, like most people, always thought it was any chocolate that was bad for dogs.

Hehe, just remembered another story. Made lunch one about 3-4 months ago. Sandwich and a glass of V8 juice. Left em on the coffee table and went to the bathroom real quick like a dummy. Come back and both of my dogs are trying to drink out of the glass and the sandwich was untouched. Wasn't much left of my V8 by the time I got back.

A couple of years ago, we received a box of expensive chocolates from a friend. My wife left it on the dining room table. We went away for the evening, and upon returning, found the box, on the floor, celophane removed, opened, and just the dark chocolate candies gone. Gizmo, our Pomeranian couldn't hide the fact that he was the culprit, as he had chocolate all over his face. At least he has a distinct taste for the finer dark chocolates.

Not to worries as some chocolate is worse than others but none of its really good for them.And i have been down that road more than once as i do dog rescue and have 9 dogs of my own.about 5 years a go my best friend Kramer and his little brother CJ ate a whole bag of Reese peanut butter cup wrapper and plastic bag just pieces left.they never even got sick or the ***** from it.

The picture is of Kramer taken the day he passed away just short of 15 years old.He was truly a dog that was special in so many ways.I'm tearing up just typing this.:angel9:

What kind of dog was Kramer? A good people dog? good for just one master? tolerant of strangers? any protective traits?

I want to get a dog that will protect my wife while deployed but won't try to attack every stranger- i want a happy, obedient big dog that loves the family and is tolerant of friends coming over. The wife got bit in the face as a child and is leery of me getting a dog; i put up with her cat for so long that she will let me get one once, so i can't screw it up.

i had a german shepard (as a kid)that looked out for the family but she wanted to attack strangers all the time-with some horrible success. i am thinking a female puppy with a kitten as a pal (maybe on the kitten theory)

i have a fairly large back yard.

caffeine,sugar and something in the cocoa itself can't remember what.
good to avoid at all costs but the bigger the dog the less the chance of problems.
look for a list of bad things for them on the internet.
you will be quite surprised.
like grapes and raisins.

What kind of dog was Kramer? A good people dog? good for just one master? tolerant of strangers? any protective traits?

I want to get a dog that will protect my wife while deployed but won't try to attack every stranger- i want a happy, obedient big dog that loves the family and is tolerant of friends coming over. The wife got bit in the face as a child and is leery of me getting a dog; i put up with her cat for so long that she will let me get one once, so i can't screw it up.

i had a german shepard (as a kid)that looked out for the family but she wanted to attack strangers all the time-with some horrible success. i am thinking a female puppy with a kitten as a pal (maybe on the kitten theory)

i have a fairly large back yard.

My advice on your question is to talk it over with your wife as to what she would be comfortable having in the house with her, then research the breeds. There are several breeds out there that meet your criteria.

My family has always owned large breed dogs. Currently we have 2 Pitbull/Greman Shepherd mix. I originally wanted a full Pitbull, but was able to rescue the 2 girls so went with them instead. They have been a great addition to the household. I wanted Pitbull because I am not home all the time and that would have left my mother home alone (Yes I currently live with my mother). Pit's are very gentle dogs and would have been great around my 8yr old nephew when he comes around. My two, the mixes, are very easy going with him when they play.

I remember visiting my Aunt and Uncle as a kid and they had a collie. They let me take him for a walk around the block. Some neighborhood teenagers decided that they were going to try and take my jacket from me. Sundown, the Collie, must have sensed that I was scared when they started coming towards me. He barked, growled, showed his teeth, all the good stuff and the 3 teenagers quickly changed their minds. Sundown wouldn't let me move til they were out of sight and then the only direction he would go was towards home.

Sorry, I tend to get a little long winded, had to stop myself from telling another story. If your wife is the high energy type (likes to run/jog, etc.) one of the more energetic working breeds would prolly do well for her. Bah, starting to ramble again. Just try to match the dog breed with her personality type. Hope this helps.

how does the chocolate hurt the dogs?

Supposedly there's a enzime in the chocolate that attacks the kidneys and shuts them down.

My old dog Sam ate at least 10 turtles after finding the box hidden under the couch, my wife was hiding them from the kids, Didn't seem to bother him not even diarhia, that mutt had a cast iron gut.

-
Back