My entire class failed

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Background story: I teach a 4th-6th grade sundayschool class

Our main text today was in John 7, specifically 7:44 And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him.

We were talking about how it was possible for Jesus to not get arrested here and one of my cross references was Isaiah 53:1-3 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

I made the point that Jesus did not have the looks of a superstar, and would easily get lost in a crowd, because he wouldn't stand out
He did not have the outward beauty that would draw our gaze

In order to make this point I threw a picture on the board of some of the most iconic, recognizable movie stars I could think off, to show as a contrast to how Jesus must have looked

I was kinda taken by surprise, that from my entire class, they could name ONE

iether they are a lot more holy then I thought they were and don't watch any TV, or I'm getting old

218.jpg

Don't surprise me. If these guys had a video game out, they might be more easily recognized.
Everybody you selected was a star 30 some odd years ago. Today, not so much, to a younger generation.

I see the terminator (Arnold schiskabob) and chuck Norris (Texas ranger). Don't know the others so I'm not sure what the point was you were trying to prove with that.

Left to right: Arnold Swarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Steven Segall.

Your just old. Most of these guys havent starred in a movie in decades with the exception of the govenator and Sly (expendables).
So which one did they recognize?

Our main text today was in John 7, specifically 7:44 And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him.

We were talking about how it was possible for Jesus to not get arrested here and one of my cross references was Isaiah 53:1-3 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

I made the point that Jesus did not have the looks of a superstar, and would easily get lost in a crowd, because he wouldn't stand out

In order to make this point I threw a picture on the board of some of the most iconic, recognizable movie stars I could think off, to show as a contrast to how Jesus must have looked

iether they are a lot more holy then I thought they were and don't watch any TV, or I'm getting old

View attachment 1716062916
As much as I hate to disagree with you, I agree with @MoparMike1974. You just picked the wrong people as an example. Had you chosen some current pop singers or celebrities from movies and/or TV shows that 10-12 year olds might watch, they would likely recognized more.
I see the terminator (Arnold schiskabob) and chuck Norris (Texas ranger). Don't know the others so I'm not sure what the point was you were trying to prove with that.
First, I really liked Arnold schiskabob. Good thing I didn't have food or drink in my mouth; it would have been spewed all over. Second, you really didn't recognize Stalone, Van Damme and Segal? You must not watch many movies. I have a good friend who doesn't watch movies, because they last too long. If you lived closer, we would invite you over for a movie marathon and introduce you to them.

Your just old. Most of these guys havent starred in a movie in decades with the exception of the govenator and Sly (expendables).
So which one did they recognize?
Yeah, that was kinda the thing that got me
I didn't realize it had been that long since these guys were current

The only one the recognized was Arnold

the point i was trying to prove (to my class) is that the Bible teaches Jesus looked like an ordinary man. He did not stand out of a crowd, He was not jaw dropping handsome
so i put a picture on the screen of a few men whom i thought were very recognizable, men who you would recognize if you saw them in a crowded place (like the airport or the mall...of course, these kids probably dont know what a mall is anymore either)
and i was going to compare them to Jesus as an antitype and offer this up as a possible reason why He did not get arrested

(of course, the true reason why Jesus did not get arrested is because the temple guard that was sent to arrest Him listened to Him talk and was convinced that He was more likely the Messiah then the false prophet the chief priest claimed He was...but we will get into that verse next week)

and you know what?
i will show my age once again next week when i make reference to "the charge of the light Brigade" and see if any of my kids know that one

Well there is a fringe that insists that Jesus was a black and had an afro, but IDK if you can believe anything a Hamite might say.
As for me I don't care what color he is, but one thing I know, is that His Father had white hair and so will Jesus when next we see him.
I think it would actually look pretty cool to see a black man dressed in white linen, riding a white horse with a white beard, and his old-man-glory white wooley hair flying in the wind. Put some white open-toe sandals on him for the finishing touch, and yeah, I'm digging it.

View attachment 1716062916
I think your forgetting the power of GOD , he could/can do anything he wanted , incog would be no problem ....

Imust be missing something here! which one of those guys was Jesus?
Get hit by any one of them and you'll see Jesus, but none of these are him. Segall is a real turd, always been. How he landed Kelly Le brock is a mystery.

Wait, you used a still photo?

Kids today don't have that kind of attention span, that's where you went wrong.

I think your forgetting the power of GOD , he could/can do anything he wanted , incog would be no problem ....

i am so glad you brought that up
of course Jesus "could" have done anything He wants
as the saying goes "can Jesus walk on water? Yes He can, but most times He took a boat"

now, i fully understand that we have an account of the crowd attempting the throw Jesus of a cliff and He somehow just seems to disappear

but to be honest, i didnt want to know why He did not got arrested (because i KNOW the answer to that, and i will tell you momentarily)

no, the real reason i asked the question "why didnt they arrest Him" was to get my class thinking about the situation
what were the option? what were the underlying Spiritual reasons? what might have been going on with the different factions fo the crowd?

now, in a few weeks we will make it to verse 46 which reads " The officers answered, Never man spake like this man."

what makes this such an amazing verse, is that in verse 1, we are told the Jews are out to kill Him
in verse 32 the Pharisees send some officers to arrest him, and in verse 45 they come back emptyhanded
and when they are asked why they did not arrest Him, what do they say?

" The officers answered, Never man spake like this man."

now, keep in kind, these men were Levites, their entire lives were lived in the service of the temple
every working hour, they were in the temple
the probably had the entire Pentateuch memorized
they had heard just about every Rabbi preach from Dan to Beersheba

an why do they choose to refuse an order that would lead to the death of Jesus?
because never man spake like this man

these officers came to arrest Jesus but as they were making their way through the crowd to get close enough to arrest Him, they couldnt help but hear Him speak, now, faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God and they recognized who Jesus was by His words and THAT is why they didnt arrest Him

that reason for thought is it not?
Wait, you used a still photo?

Kids today don't have that kind of attention span, that's where you went wrong.
yes, because that is what i got access too
i generally use a flashdrive with JPEG images on it, the lesson is the main thing, the pics are just icing

Get hit by any one of them and you'll see Jesus, but none of these are him. Segall is a real turd, always been. How he landed Kelly Le brock is a mystery.
wont happen , none are faster than a speeding bullit ...lol

-
Back