My First Car

-
Im having a hard time deciding whether or not to pull the slant six out and put a 318 in it or keep the six cylinder. I have seen some fast slant sixes before and part of me wants to build a leaning tower of power for it. Can anyone tell me how to check to see if motor is original? Are there matching numbers somewhere??

Not sure where the numbers are on a slant, but if it still runs good I would leave it in there.
Also you need a transmission, motor mounts, radiator to install the v-8.

The K member has to be swapped out also right? A couple of my buddies are driving American muscle around here and they both have power. I just wanna make sure I can keep up with them on cruises and road trips

Gotta air up a tire and charge the battery now that she has been sittin for about a month. I hooked up a tach and I think it may have drained the battery or something. I don't have a clue haha. Searching for disc brake conversion for front end and taking care of all the rust spots soon

The car is running terrible ever since I put a new carb on it. I found the carb at a Dodge dealership I worked at. Box was in there with 73 Duster 225 wrote on the side. My old carb was falling apart in two halves and was missing part of a gasket but it ran good. New one spits and sputters the whole time and whenever you try to take off it just bogs down. If I want to increase speed any at all I have to pump the gas for it to take off. GRR!!!!!

Does anyone know what might be causing the above mentioned problem? I am between a rock and a hard place now. My wife and I are having our first child in December and I only own a motorcycle and the Dart. I gotta get her going ASAP lol. Plus its really cold on a bike early in the morning!

The K member has to be swapped out also right? A couple of my buddies are driving American muscle around here and they both have power. I just wanna make sure I can keep up with them on cruises and road trips

Don't worry about keeping up with your buddies, you will catch up at the gas station i'm sure.

With your sputtering and running terrible problem look for a vacuum leak. Also check the float level. Those are the two most common problems with slant carbs.

Pondering: that car should have come with 4.5 bolt pattern. I wonder if it was an original V8 and somebody swapped an older slant kframe in.

Been driving the car lately. Still spitting and sputtering when I mash the gas. I was reading the manual and realized I had to unhook the vacuum from distributor when timing the car so I redid it and it runs better but still not fixed completely. My wife and I had our first child in December so he has kept us pretty busy. I am excited about getting to work on my car with my boy and also getting him a project of his own. My brother just bought a 67 Plymouth Belvedere so me and him are working on it and mine together on the weekends.
View attachment djskflhsa.jpg

Rough running issue is driving me crazy. Rod Run is a month and 1 day away and I still cant seem to get it. I haven't been able to find anyone around me that will work on carbs and I cant find a vacuum leak. Today I turned the throttle way down and it ran a lot better but when I punch the gas it still spits and hesitates. It has been straight piped and cut under the driver floor board for quite a while but I was tired of not being able to hear myself think so I strapped a glasspack on it today. Before I make the 4 hour drive to Rod Run I want to get exhaust ran out the back with a better muffler on it. Guess I will wait to see what the running issue costs me to fix first. Don't wanna put too much into the carb cause I plan on doing the 4 bbl intake and swapping all that over later on down the road. Guess for now I will keep searching for someone who can tinker with carbs

One of my favorite body styles.

Attachments

• 2011-10-04 06.56.171.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 282
Less than one month till Rod Run. This entire Sunday will be spent wrenching. First I have to fix a fuel filter leak and then Im readjusting the valves. I messed up last time I adjusted them by setting the timing with the distributor vacuum still hooked up. Don't know if it will make much of a difference but I will try anything now.

Waiting on tax money to come in so I can buy my disc brake conversion and fix my mix matched lug pattern issue. Ordered wheels the other day(very sexy!) and I just got the awesomest deal on a truck with no title that comes with not one but TWO 360s. I think its getting close to time to swapping the old slant six out and spinning my new wheels a lil bit faster. Super excited! Pictures to come soon of the wheels, conversion process, and donor truck!!

Loved the pic of you and your pop with your car.
I'm happy for you that things are looking up for
you and your family.
Keep the wind at your back and the sun on your face and you'll have your
car done in no time.
Keep posting with lots of pics.
Good Luck!!

Been helping my little brother work on his 67 Plymouth trying to get it ready for the trip to Rod Run and aint done much to mine. Bought a carb rebuild kit today and I am going to put the old one back on after getting it rebuilt. I have had nothing but trouble since the second I put the new carb on. Really want a disc brake conversion and bbp swap for the front before Rod Run in less than 2 weeks so I can put my new wheels on before the trip up there. Anyone rebuilt a 1bbl carb before? Im wanting to do it myself but never have before.

Had a baby. Bought a house. Started a farm. Car got put so far on the back burner that I couldn't even tell you where the keys areView attachment 1714801987

Ha! I know the feeling, my first car was my 67 dart, I got it as a rough driver that needed lots of work and drove it for several yrs. I moved a few times, worked, put myself through school, got married, had kids... Finally, literally 12 yrs after I took it apart it's back on the road... So keep track of those keys, let it sit when you need and tinker when you can, because it will pay off eventually...

Joe.

Here's a pic of mine finally done

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 150
I can't believe I somehow missed this great thread. Yes our immediate priorities change as life dictates...thanks for keeping this thread going. You only have one "first car," it is rich in memories already and someday you'll have time to work on her again with the next generation of your family alongside. Such a real, heartfelt story. And Thank You for your service to our country.

Find the keys so you can start her up periodically!

You two just motivated the heck out of me. I actually do drive it every once in a while. I need to find an old timer around me to assist with rebuilding a 1bbl carburetor. And the front lug pattern is aggravating. A bbp disc brake swap would make it possible to put the new wheels on and really boost my motivation! I got rid of my motorcycle and trying to sell a Willys jeep I have. Then the only project left will be my ole /6 Dart.

View attachment 20150325_124631.jpg
Pulled the wheels off last month to put the tires on my daily driver but the shop wanted almost as much to swap tires as a new set would cost so I bought a new set and left the dart sitting on blocks until today. Tried to get it done before it hit 70 degrees outside. I really need a shop. Heck a covered concrete car port would be great even!

i think I may have a one barrel (or three) sitting around I would happily rebuild here and send to Ya... shoot me a PM if your interested... They're arent doin me any good here...

Joe

-
Back