My hiding place!

-
Thanx all.
It's actually pretty simple. If you look at the first few pics it shows 5/8" pex piping attached to the styrofoam insulation laid prior to pouring concrete. The styrofoam is optional, just better to retain heat. In one of the pictures you can see the manifold. It has 5 blue valves on top and 5 red valves on the bottom. The piping is laid out in "zones", so I have 5, with the valves controlling the flow of hot water entering each independent zone. Zones typically are not more than 300' per loop. The red valves are in and blue out. I have a boiler that feeds water to the red side of the manifold. Mine is roughly 170 F. It travels through the loop and circles back out of the blue valves into the red again. The boiler will continue to feed into the system until the water circling the loop is maintaining 110 F, outside temperature dependent, the colder outside, the hotter the water. Of course the floor will continue to cool the loop so the boiler will periodically push in more hot. I run my thermostat at 65 F. The shop will cool to that and the system will fire up to warm the floor. Generally it will fall a few more degrees before the radiant heat is fully taking effect, roughly 62 F. Then as the room warms and it reaches 65 F, the system shuts off. Because the floor is still hot the room temperature will continue to rise a few more degrees. It will usually reach about 67 F. So it does vary a little but not to the point that it feels any different either way. With this system each zone is independent so I can adjust certain areas to be warmer or cooler depending on where stuff is. Example, if I only have storage at the far end of the shop I don't need the floor to be super warm so I can pinch off the flow to that zone. Or in front of the overhead door I can run it a little hotter for melting snow off a vehicle that is just pulled in. Blah, blah, blah. Hope that wasn't too long, and maybe it was understandable!!

Missed this till now. Being a plumber I could do this on my own. Sweet idea. Could you drill down outside and run loops below ground to cool and circulate this to cool the floor in summer.

Wow!...Your shop is beautiful. On top of a sweet design, the craftsmanship is top notch! I really like the way you have thought about how to use the space to maximize storage & bench space

Nice job Gdrill, You should be very proud!

Ma Snart

Thank you very much Ma. I am proud of it, or the fact that I did it, since I am not a carpenter! :D Actually surprised how it turned out. In fact I kinda hate wood, I far prefer welding! But it was nice to know that "I did it my way" to quote a famous phrase. Thanx again.

I think it looks a little empty might need another Challenger :lol::lol: . Bye da Bye George we will be makeing a trip your way this summer with the Dart or Challenger so whens the car show??.:burnout:

I think it looks a little empty might need another Challenger :lol::lol: . Bye da Bye George we will be makeing a trip your way this summer with the Dart or Challenger so whens the car show??.:burnout:

VERY nice work space!!!!

Thanx guys. PNK the best car show in Lethbridge is July 13-15. Street Wheelers weekend. But there are a group of us who try to travel on almost every weekend for the fun if the drive. Let me know when your coming out. Look forward to meeting you.

Well those who know already, know already. I waited years to build my shop and now have just put a couple days in it tinkering. It was SO NICE to be working and having the TV going with Speed channel going. I can only say that if you are wondering if it is worth it to build a shop and or install TV for while you're in it...YES it is. I am loving this! :blob: If you can.....DO IT!

-
Back