My home inspection of Speedmaster heads

-
All of a sudden I think I can live with bad geometry...
One thing I do know a squared plus b squared equals c squared...

Holy smokes! 180 bucks!!
I'm in the wrong business....
I'll be needing hold down clamps and the bolts for the Erson rocker assemblies I have. Seen some nice billet ones on Ebay for about $80, but for $180 or so I can have corrected geometry with the clamps, but I don't believe bolts are supplied. Seems like a fair price in my case, even if I gotta also buy some bolts.

One thing is for sure, B3 isn't going to have black friday sale so the price is compfy enough for your to buy.

But when that rocker arm roles, clean off the valve, it may be cheaper then several sets of rocker arm to find the one with a acceptable geometry.:poke::D

One thing is for sure, B3 isn't going to have black friday sale so the price is compfy enough for your to buy.

But when that rocker arm roles, clean off the valve, it may be cheaper then several sets of rocker arm to find the one with a acceptable geometry.:poke::D
This is the same ridiculous crap that gets everybody all jumpy about every little Nuance of a brand new head... or say it once I'll say it a million times if it wasn't for the gurus on these forums and the internet 90% of people would be just slapping these heads on and going...

318willrun, do you plan on any other inspections or? I will be checking my guides (upper, middle, lower) and valve stems with a Starrett full ball hole gage and mic along with some other inspections later. Mind if i post them here?

318willrun, do you plan on any other inspections or? I will be checking my guides (upper, middle, lower) and valve stems with a Starrett full ball hole gage and mic along with some other inspections later. Mind if i post them here?
Mind? I think he would insist...

nothing like calling a head shop and asking them to look at your brand new heads and then having them talk to you like you're an idiot because they wish they could sell their brand new heads and give a slip of paper that said they need to be inspected...

Post away! I pretty much did all my talk'n in the video, lol. I'll lay a flat edge on the bottom of the head, but other than that, nope. Virtually, this is how I've checked my valve guides and valves over a lot of years. No issues to date.

This is the same ridiculous crap that gets everybody all jumpy about every little Nuance of a brand new head... or say it once I'll say it a million times if it wasn't for the gurus on these forums and the internet 90% of people would be just slapping these heads on and going...
I'm sure you will be happy with what every geometry you get.

So how many rockers have you had roll off the top of your valve before you knew about this kit???. Here I'll answer for you zero...

So how many rockers have you had roll off the top of your valve before you knew about this kit???. Here I'll answer for you zero...
Run short lift and a lot of duration... save the valve train lol

Post away! I pretty much did all my talk'n in the video, lol. I'll lay a flat edge on the bottom of the head, but other than that, nope. Virtually, this is how I've checked my valve guides and valves over a lot of years. No issues to date.
It's like people are smoking pot and they're totally paranoid or something.. just say one or two things on the internet and all of a sudden you're checking like you're a scared rabbit...
I can't tell how much first timer hackery I did to those 360 heads I put on that 318.. so many mismatched valves and springs and retainers.. I wound that thing up to the moon and it never did anything but said do it again...

Where's yellow rose someone's leaving something on the table!..
Heaven forbid...

Same here, valve wiggle and a nice drop and bounce. Fluid check etc and run em. I just want to see if the guides and valves are really all over the place like some have mentioned. Mostly proving that all is bullshit, but if they are I'll post it.

It's like people are smoking pot and they're totally paranoid or something.. just say one or two things on the internet and all of a sudden you're checking like you're a scared rabbit...
I can't tell how much first timer hackery I did to those 360 heads I put on that 318.. so many mismatched valves and springs and retainers.. I wound that thing up to the moon and it never did anything but said do it again...
I'll say this and I don't care what others think. These new fast ramp cams beat the valve train to death, focus on a lot of lift quickly. That is why they require a lot more spring pressure, because of the slam shut. I have no issues with a slower ramp cam, using a healthy duration at .050 and maybe a .470 lift. Requires less spring pressure, and much easier on the valve train.

I'm only two more members away from pulling their heads apart and not having any sticky valves and slapping these things on right out of the box...

I'm only two more members away from pulling their heads apart and not having any sticky valves and slapping these things on right out of the box...
Just make sure the valves seal, and make sure the valve guides aren't too tight (which will get you in trouble in a hurry). You'll be good to go

J par is cursing himself, never say never. lol
There's always something left on the table.

I'll say this and I don't care what others think. These new fast ramp cams beat the valve train to death, focus on a lot of lift quickly. That is why they require a lot more spring pressure, because of the slam shut. I have no issues with a slower ramp cam, using a healthy duration at .050 and maybe a .470 lift. Requires less spring pressure, and much easier on the valve train.
Agree
But then you would be leaving HP on the table and allow Hyd lifter to be quiet.......who wants that!:D

I remember PHR saying he had to shim two Springs (for the required lift of his customer) and changed out the umbrellas or seals to some better ones that suited him. (I mentioned him by name so anything I miss quoted can be rebutted)
What did you Blue Collar review think of the umbrellas or SEALS or whatever you want to call them?..

Same here, valve wiggle and a nice drop and bounce. Fluid check etc and run em. I just want to see if the guides and valves are really all over the place like some have mentioned. Mostly proving that all is bullshit, but if they are I'll post it.
I found a lot of different things besides heads that people pay a lot of money for and don't get them any further but put down something of the same quality that cost a lot less because they paid more..
Basically it makes them feel good about getting taken...

I remember PHR saying he had to shim two Springs (for the required lift of his customer) and changed out the umbrellas or seals to some better ones that suited him. (I mentioned him by name so anything I miss quoted can be rebutted)
What did you Blue Collar review think of the umbrellas or SEALS or whatever you want to call them?..
they look like magnum head seals to me. Now, how many magnums do you see smoking at stop lights or at start ups after visiting Walmart? Ummmm ... zero. How many LA's do you see smok'n at start up because the valve seals are in the oil pick up tube? LOL.......
As far as shiming, height, yeah, more precise the better. Necessary? Naw. Think mother mopar did this in depth scrutiny to every X head on every 340? Nope! And we love those X-head 340's right from the factory. Again, like I posted early on, I'm not bashing ANY machinist.

J par is cursing himself, never say never. lol
There's always something left on the table.
ALWAYS!! This is how stock 360's with stock converters and 2.94's end up running 13.3's with 1.8 60 ft! ALWAYS something on the table.... LOL
Ooops, got away from SM heads talk....

they look like magnum head seals to me. Now, how many magnums do you see smoking at stop lights or at start ups after visiting Walmart? Ummmm ... zero. How many LA's do you see smok'n at start up because the valve seals are in the oil pick up tube? LOL.......
As far as shiming, height, yeah, more precise the better. Necessary? Naw. Think mother mopar did this in depth scrutiny to every X head on every 340? Nope! And we love those X-head 340's right from the factory. Again, like I posted early on, I'm not bashing ANY machinist.
First and foremost I'm not bashing any Machinist! I just personally don't necessarily need to not leave anything on the table.. also it's my personal opinion that feel injections has a lot to say for the Magnum Motors...

-
Back