My home inspection of Speedmaster heads

-
That plus .005 on the one valve can be cause by a few things.

That valve job needed an extra .005 to clean it up, or the machinist just took an extra .005.

The valve face itself took an extra .005 to clean up or the machinist took an extra .005.

The stem didn't get faced off as much so it's .005 long.

Or it can be a combination of some or all of those. You can run it and never ever know the difference, or you can stem .005 off the valve, or you can go through all the work to figure out why it's plus .005 and fix that if it's eating you up.

Me? I'd run it. Except I don't like that valve job. There is no way I could run that basic seat. Other than that, I see nothing to make me nervous.

Great video. The only issue I have with the video is the dog didn't get near enough face time on camera. We need more DOG!!!
yes, my plan was to run it, but because I found it I had to include it in the video.

It would seem like with the adjustable rockers that much wouldn't make a huge difference if any...
keep in mind, the millions of 318's, 340's, and 360's that were produced were not inspected with this kind of scrutiny from the factory. They had tolerances, a min/max/mean or nominal. And folks put 200,000 miles on these babies without batting an eye.

keep in mind, the millions of 318's, 340's, and 360's that were produced were not inspected with this kind of scrutiny from the factory. They had tolerances, a min/max/mean or nominal. And folks put 200,000 miles on these babies without batting an eye.
hey if it wasn't for all the gurus around here and the internet I would have already had in my mind to just clean them up and bolt them on..
Even worse is calling around to head shops and having them say I wish we could sell heads with a piece of paper that says you have to have them checked out or we give you no warranty LOL....

hey if it wasn't for all the gurus around here and the internet I would have already had in my mind to just clean them up and bolt them on..
Even worse is calling around to head shops and having them say I wish we could sell heads with a piece of paper that says you have to have them checked out or we give you no warranty LOL....
I believe they should be checked out, but I'm comfortable doing it myself. I'm not taking anything away from machine shops, and they can check things more precise than i can. But I'm comfortable with my inspection, and if needed, i can bring it to a machine shop to fix something I found. But if I'm going to pay a machine shop to pull them apart, inspect, etc., I'll buy the bare castings and have the machine shop do the valve job/assembly with the hardware I bought.

I believe they should be checked out, but I'm comfortable doing it myself. I'm not taking anything away from machine shops, and they can check things more precise than i can. But I'm comfortable with my inspection, and if needed, i can bring it to a machine shop to fix something I found. But if I'm going to pay a machine shop to pull them apart, inspect, etc., I'll buy the bare castings and have the machine shop do the valve job/assembly with the hardware I bought.
Are you still going to lap the valves?..

Exactly.

Can you say you got big block heads as well? Oh yeah they're being built..
Any idea on what the plan is for all the stuff or are you just still spinning..

Can you say you got big block heads as well? Oh yeah they're being built..
Any idea on what the plan is for all the stuff or are you just still spinning..
I still plan to change just the 4 things on my Duster. I would still like to put the magnum heads on a LA because I've never done that swap and I have 100% everything to do it. I'd still like to build a BB Duster. We'll see...

I still plan to change just the 4 things on my Duster. I would still like to put the magnum heads on a LA because I've never done that swap and I have 100% everything to do it. I'd still like to build a BB Duster. We'll see...
Translation: still spinning...lol...

Get a 440 block have it prepped and call 440 source for a stroker kit...
And after you make that order look at your son and tell him he's screwed...

Get a 440 block have it prepped and call 440 source for a stroker kit...
And after you make that order look at your son and tell him he's screwed...
absolutely, 100% no way I stroke a 440. LOL. I may put a 440 crank in a 400....

As far as valve jobs some of you guys are spoiled. I got away from stones years ago and moved to Neway valve seat cutters but I’m limited to your basic 60-45-30-15-10 valve angles instead of you custom angles. I almost had that ability 6 years ago when a friend closing his speed shop offered me his mill and all attachments for 1200.00. If my son had any interest in doing heads I would have bought it but he doesn’t so I didn’t. I think my heads do ok with old school technology so I’m stuck there. For guys that have never seen Neway cutters here’s a link. I bought mine in bits and pieces on eBay over the years

Neway Valve Seat Cutting System

Why not? I know that would be a pretty big jump from what you have it might be scary...:poke:...
Why hold back?...
100% not needed. There are enough folks out there with underachieving strokers turning to NOS trying to please a 11 second appetite, don't throw me in that crowd.

100% not needed. There are enough folks out there with underachieving strokers turning to NOS trying to please a 11 second appetite, don't throw me in that crowd.
well I'm not trying to get started here so I did not hit the disagree button like I really wanted to but my friend that is running a stroke big block (74 Duster) in the high 9's is not using any nitrous (I think "nos" is what the tuner guys use) and if your Sly comment is referring to my stroker being underachieving that may be in your eyes but it has achieved everything I've ever wanted it to. The idea of using aluminum heads is just something I've always wanted along with trying nitrous is something I always wanted to try. Unfortunately the reoccurring cost of nitrous will keep me away from it.. unlike the aluminum heads are just a one-time cost hopefully lol...

Last edited:
Why not? I know that would be a pretty big jump from what you have it might be scary...:poke:...
Why hold back?...

LOL.... :D anyways, you'll be fine going through your heads right at home.

Now, I'm no guru and I am not there standing next to your heads, BUT, it looked to ME like there was too much slop in the guides. Hard to tell, because I think there was some movement of the whole head, but I'm not certain. If there was not, I know I was seeing at least .005" movement. That's too much.

That SAID, I would rather them be a "little" loose.

But again, I'm not there, so that call is hard to make. They look like good castings, though.

Last edited:
LOL.... :D anyways, you'll be fine going through your heads right at home.
Then just as a reminder all this stuff is not needed! LOL..
Or are you saying you needed small-block and big-block Speedmaster heads or you we're going to have health problems...

Now, I;m no guru and I am not there standing next to your heads, BUT, it looked to ME like there was too much slop in the guides. Hard to tell, because I think there was some movement of the whole head, but I'm not certain. If there was not, I know I was seeing at least .005" movement. That's too much.

But again, I'm not there, so that call is hard to make. They look like good castings, though.
Maybe a little knurling would help the oiling...

Then just as a reminder all this stuff is not needed! LOL..
Or are you saying you needed small-block and big-block Speedmaster heads or you we're going to have health problems...
when I say I wing it, no plan, I'm sporadic, this is what I mean. -- Plan was to buy ProMaxx. Couldn't pass up 40% off so I buy SM. Wait, 40% off??? why not big block heads as well, don't use 'em I'll sell 'em for profit in May. Wait!! Why not a couple of intakes for magnum heads and LA, never know what I may decide to put a magnum in. Now, you can sit back and wait for the next "Wait"! LOL

Now, I;m no guru and I am not there standing next to your heads, BUT, it looked to ME like there was too much slop in the guides. Hard to tell, because I think there was some movement of the whole head, but I'm not certain. If there was not, I know I was seeing at least .005" movement. That's too much.

Now that's not true! In high school we would have called you a goat roping Guru!!!...:poke:...lol...

when I say I wing it, no plan, I'm sporadic, this is what I mean. -- Plan was to buy ProMaxx. Couldn't pass up 40% off so I buy SM. Wait, 40% off??? why not big block heads as well, don't use 'em I'll sell 'em for profit in May. Wait!! Why not a couple of intakes for magnum heads and LA, never know what I may decide to put a magnum in. Now, you can sit back and wait for the next "Wait"! LOL
See post number 61....

A little of the wigglin you saw was the whole head moving. I think if the guides were tighter I might have been border line nervous.

-
Back