my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
I'm really undecided if I want to throw some headers and stuff on this 318 and let it rip, or put a 318 magnum in it (original plan when I bought the car), or throw together a dirt cheap 360, or ?????????
:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::):(:D:eek::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:…………:BangHead:……………….:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:
I want to see you add headers and keep building the 318. Just so I can follow along and see what I can get out of mine. We have pretty much an identical setup. I would like see you do different combos and see what works best. One thing I'm interested in is intake changes like an aftermarket vs stock 340. And how much time headers take off. Etc

well, we have 2 threads with the J par/YR thingy...…. LOL. This thread is about the jawing now as I am done tuning with the 500 dollar budget. Not sure what direction I'll go...…

After 600+ posts, would you explain sum up everything you've done for this budget build and include recipts and timeslips?

I want to see you add headers and keep building the 318. Just so I can follow along and see what I can get out of mine. We have pretty much an identical setup. I would like see you do different combos and see what works best. One thing I'm interested in is intake changes like an aftermarket vs stock 340. And how much time headers take off. Etc
and when you're done with this request^^^ I got a couple of cams I'd like you to try also? :realcrazy::thumbsup:
Maybe you can do a windage tray with and without?:D

I like dart freaks and j pars ideas. Hell! I’ll send ya a cam! F.O.C.!

Hey 318willrun, after reading through your s-u-p-e-r-l-o-n-g thread several times, and having completely lost track of all the things you did for five hundred bucks, can you give us a simple list of the things that you did with your teener?
Hey Ottmundr.… remember this 2016 post ^^^^^ LOL..... :D
Just kidding... :) Only things that changed in what I answered in the quote below is the car now has an action plus intake (from the intake thread I did) and a 770 Holley on top. This intake/carb only ran the 1/8 (yesterday), due to weather, and did the best 1/8 mile with a 9.57 pass (2 tenths faster than the previous). Read List in quote below. ET slips are in Post 574

Here it is.....
600 eddy - 85.00 to my front door (ebay)
Cast intake - 60.00 to my front door (FABO)
KS Fel 2114 complete engine gasket kit - 58.00 (Summit)
EDL5877 springs - 48.00 (Summit)
K50052 cam kit - 110.00 (Summit)
Double roller timing set - 39.00 (Summit)
Sealed Power exhaust valves - 56.00 (Summit I think)
Porting, cleaning heads and valve grinding compound - 35.00
8 qty of 1/4 inch set screws to plug smog holes - 3.00
4bbl carb base gasket - 1.00

I believe this to be the completed list.... 495.00 dollars.
Nothin' like consistency... :D (below post two years later) :D
After 600+ posts, would you explain sum up everything you've done for this budget build and include recipts and timeslips?
And a quick review, this was throwing "under" 500 bucks at a 318 2bbl in a Duster with 2.76 gears, 904 stock converter, with dual exhaust using manifolds. Goal was to run with a Stone-stock factory '73 340 Duster, auto, 3.21. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Well I was figuring a dart freak could get him to do all those free test runs for him I could maybe get a couple in too?
LOL.... here is what's funny. I have a 318 magnum, an eddy air gap, and a cam with a snout for mechanical fuel pump. This was what I intended to put in the Duster two years ago, roller cam and all for todays oils. Not sure what I'll do now.

But I did this "low dollar project" solely to help newbies. Just to give them some type of template or ideas for their car. Ya know, the 17 year old kid that shows up here excited over his '75 4 door dart, works part time at Hardees, and is told by a bunch of grumpy old men that he needs a 360, or a stroker, deck the block, blah blah blah or he cannot play. LOL..... Every penny here was 318willrun's pennies, and every 1 hr trip to the strip, all those entry fees came out of 318willrun's pocket. I enjoyed it. And those that posted a "thanks", asked questions, or followed a few ideas on their car made it worth it. :D

Last edited:
and when you're done with this request^^^ I got a couple of cams I'd like you to try also? :realcrazy::thumbsup:
LOL.... hey, whatever I do I'll post. But.. the newbie "500.00" dollar budget build 318 is over.

Maybe I'll throw a few $$$$ bucks at the 318 and go stroker hunting.... :realcrazy:
:lol:
:rofl:

Last edited:
LOL.... hey, whatever I do I'll post. But.. the newbie "500.00" dollar budget build 318 is over.

Maybe I'll throw a few $$$$ bucks at the 318 and go stroker hunting.... :realcrazy:
:lol:
Oh ho, a competition!??
Who's done the most modifications to date and posted pictures here on for a bodies only forum? LOL

Rumor has it J Par will donate $$$ to fund a book deal on this build, BUT he also wants you to go back and put the whole deal on video!! Who ever says something nasty bout the left pasts guys ever again, will be in serious trouble!
Seriously I think Mr. 318willrun should get an attaboy for this thread. Very well received and read by many.

Rumor has it J Par will donate $$$ to fund a book deal on this build, BUT he also wants you to go back and put the whole deal on video!! Who ever says something nasty bout the left pasts guys ever again, will be in serious trouble!
Seriously I think Mr. 318willrun should get an attaboy for this thread. Very well received and read by many.
Honestly a lot of times I just make comments to keep the threat going. Kind of say something stupid to get everybody talking. I really like what 318 does and enjoyed all his tweaking. I know I enjoy it when I do my own.

I think it is inspirational myself.
It almost got me off my *** to re do my old 318 Duster project again for fun.
Being honest about it, I didn’t have the time and funds were low for the task of traveling to the track.
Off hour work hours do NOT help ether.

I know you are just making fun of me :icon_fU:
But what would a windage tray change as far as performance I thought it was just to keep the oil where its supposed to be during acceleration?
He can do what he wants with the build I just want to see how much he gains with headers on a 500 buck 318 because I'm in the same boat. I just so happen to have a 500 buck 318 and a set of headers. And a 340 intake. Still haven't got another cam yet. I will get one soon. Still not 100% decided on the one.

Last edited:
But what would a windage tray change as far as performance I thought it was just to keep the oil where its supposed to be during acceleration?
I just want to see how much he gains with headers on a 500 buck 318 because I'm in the same boat. I just so happen to have a 500 buck 318 and a set of headers. And a 340 intake.
  • Windage trays are worth about a tenth.....
  • your not the only one on the headers.... I friend locally here gave me some old tri-y's that he was going to pitch because he wanted to see me put them on one of my cars... LOL.. Maybe I will, who knows.

I know you are just making fun of me :icon_fU:
He can do what he wants with the build I just want to see how much he gains with headers on a 500 buck 318 because I'm in the same boat. I just so happen to have a 500 buck 318 and a set of headers. And a 340 intake.
AJ Dave grays are so designed to keep the oil from being wind whipped by the wind created by the Franks rotation and to stop the oil from splashing up into the crank.

A oil pan baffle is used to control oil level in the pan on accel and deceleration.

• Windage trays are worth about a tenth.....
  • your not the only one on the headers.... I friend locally here gave me some old tri-y's that he was going to pitch because he wanted to see me put them on one of my cars... LOL.. Maybe I will, who knows.
You know I must have had a dream that last summer I built a "PINK" 318 with 360 heads that I milled and showing every picture and built an automatic transmission showing every picture with shift kit showing every picture with shifter showing every picture and drag race it with pictures and Time Slips and entered it into YOUR race? Wow I'm dizzy from waking up from that dream I wish it would have really happened.....

You know I must have had a dream that last summer I built a "PINK" 318 with 360 heads that I milled and showing every picture and built an automatic transmission showing every picture with shift kit showing every picture with shifter showing every picture and drag race it with pictures and Time Slips and entered it into YOUR race? Wow I'm dizzy from waking up from that dream I wish it would have really happened.....
Same answer..… Jim Kueneman :D

Who's done the most modifications to date and posted pictures here on for a bodies only forum? LOL

Am I supposed to know this person or look this person up? You know I do my own work and don't name drop.

Same answer
Jim Kueneman
:D

Am I supposed to know this person or look this person up? You know I do my own work and don't name drop.
Get off your dumb smart phone, get a computer, so your eyes can see a little what happens here on FABO

-
Back