my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
hp is for mph but not necessarily et. Bigger ports/valves dont mean they will be faster
well, if the car hooks up the only way the car goes slower with more hp is if it's at the expense of bottom end torque.

Because I don't know what I'm doing, it's in 2 videos.... LOL ! I forgot to mention, always wear safety glasses! I will post more pictures on the intake side of the porting later.

Ok, somebody needs to help me, can't upload the videos.. :pale:
I tried the URL from you tube, tried straight from the camera, no luck... :(

Can anyone help?? If you go to utube and type in DSCN02721 you will get my 1st video. the 2nd video is DSCN02731.

If someone can post them for me, in order, I'd appreciate it......

This is great, thanks man!!!

...but if I were you I would have....hahahahaha

I checked the gasket match on the dual quad intake, and removed a couple of "obvious" burrs from the casting. Ready to bolt it on now
:thumbsup:

I checked the gasket match on the dual quad intake, and removed a couple of "obvious" burrs from the casting. Ready to bolt it on now
went down to the storage shed and the car is still there!! lol. Brought the dual quad set up down there, get a moment in the next few days, I'll throw it on. :)

^^^ general consensus is I over carb my motors. I disagree, and the ET slip agrees with me.
My seat of the pants meter agree's with you as well. For fun I slapped a BB tq on a small block and the difference was noticeable.

well, if the car hooks up the only way the car goes slower with more hp is if it's at the expense of bottom end torque.

Nuh huh. It could be at the expense of you eatin too many tacos. Fatty.

progress to 4x2...

DSCN2675.JPG

Love how ugly the rtv usually looks when you pull an intake manifold.
Takes a bit to seal, you usually find out the hole ya made in the end was too small ...and so..you go back over it again 2 more times ...before you decide it's too far in and add a 4th..lol ...oh, and then then those corners need one more squirt. LoL

Still got the cork n pin.

Love how ugly the rtv usually looks when you pull an intake manifold.
Takes a bit to seal, you usually find out the hole ya made in the end was too small ...and so..you go back over it again 2 more times ...before you decide it's too far in and add a 4th..lol ...oh, and then then those corners need one more squirt. LoL

Still got the cork n pin.
the intake list continues on this 318.
  1. '73 cast 340 intake
  2. Holley Street Dominator
  3. Weiand Action Plus
  4. Upcoming - Offenhauser dual quad

the intake list continues on this 318.
  1. '73 cast 340 intake
  2. Holley Street Dominator
  3. Weiand Action Plus
  4. Upcoming - Offenhauser dual quad
Is there a reason you are going with the weiand as opposed to a edelbrock performer?

I almost went with that also but then read that the edelbrock ports were closer to my 318 tiny intake ports. I think it was because it was easier for me to use the felpro 1243 gaskets that were 2.08x 1.05.

I was worried about my small ports until I read this thread, now i have work to do lol and want the better of the 2 intakes.

I did gasket match the intake but did not remove the heads and do those ( I wanted to but was worried I might screw them up) now I know What to do and its no big deal by the looks of it.

Is there a reason you are going with the weiand as opposed to a edelbrock performer?

I almost went with that also but then read that the edelbrock ports were closer to my 318 tiny intake ports. I think it was because it was easier for me to use the felpro 1243 gaskets that were 2.08x 1.05.

I was worried about my small ports until I read this thread, now i have work to do lol and want the better of the 2 intakes.

I did gasket match the intake but did not remove the heads and do those ( I wanted to but was worried I might screw them up) now I know What to do and its no big deal by the looks of it.
I just pulled the Weiand off for the offenhauser that that's going on. I did a intake test on the factory cast vs holley SD vs Action Plus to see what it would do on a very mild 318. Now the dual quad gets a shot.
I personally like the Action plus better than the edelbrock performer. Just my opinion. Don't worry about the small ports. I've run factory cast intakes which have the 340/360 port on 318 heads all the time. Not a big deal. Perfect port match is ideal, of course. But just for the say'n, the 340 factory cast intake with biggest ports actually gave the best ET, even the the Holley SD had 318 size ports, and the Action Plus is "in between". All 3 intakes were within a .15, though

I just pulled the Weiand off for the offenhauser that that's going on. I did a intake test on the factory cast vs holley SD vs Action Plus to see what it would do on a very mild 318. Now the dual quad gets a shot.
I personally like the Action plus better than the edelbrock performer. Just my opinion. Don't worry about the small ports. I've run factory cast intakes which have the 340/360 port on 318 heads all the time. Not a big deal. Perfect port match is ideal, of course. But just for the say'n, the 340 factory cast intake with biggest ports actually gave the best ET, even the the Holley SD had 318 size ports, and the Action Plus is "in between". All 3 intakes were within a .15, though

Nice, thank you!!

I also have a '75 360 sitting in a Winnebago, do you think those heads would be an improvement over the small port/valve '74 318? I plan on doing this home head porting and want the best bang for my bucks. If the 360 is still good that could be an option also but I don't mind running the 318. It's in a '74 power wagon so millage and power is what im looking for.

Nice, thank you!!

I also have a '75 360 sitting in a Winnebago, do you think those heads would be an improvement over the small port/valve '74 318? I plan on doing this home head porting and want the best bang for my bucks. If the 360 is still good that could be an option also but I don't mind running the 318. It's in a '74 power wagon so millage and power is what im looking for.

If the 360 head is a 974 casting, it can be made to work great. If it's not... I would stick with the 318 heads and do the work I illustrate in my 318 porting for the average joe sticky.

I even added another casting, flow numbers and pics a couple days ago.

Last edited:
Nice, thank you!!

if the 360 is a good motor, I would probably use it. You'd have more low end torque and power. You may give up a mile or two per gallon... but not if you are pulling.

My 68 3/4 power wagon with 318, 2 bbl, 4 sp, 4.10 gears and 9.50-16.5 tires pulling a loaded 4 horse trailer got 8 to 10 mpg.
Swapped to a 76 360, 4bbl and gained more pulling power and 2 mpg.

55 mph is my max speed for hauling loaded with animals on the hiway.

Last edited:
My 68 3/4 power wagon with 318, 2 bbl, 4 sp, 4.10 gears and 9.50-16.5 tires pulling a loaded 4 horse trailer got 8 to 10 mpg.
Swapped to a 76 360, 4bbl and gained more pulling power and 2 mpg.

55 mph is my max speed for hauling loaded with animals on the hiway.
yes. a guy here got better gas mileage with a V10 than a 5.2 pulling a 10,000 pound trailer around everywhere. Torque adds to gas mileage when the motor is working.
P.S. - I thought for the 1000 post, we'll give the little 318 a chance to display a credit :)

1075135-828d308a970ba523933c8e74a51aef5f-jpg.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
-
Back