my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
YES IDK if the 998 is lockup I know the 999 is\been awhile they are beefed up with 5 clutches and more planets in the planateries
My Dakota 5.2 has 3:54 with 235/70 tires works well even towing, could go taller on the freeway
FWIW I've used 518 with 3:31 to 3:91 others have gone lower (any higher?)
With that rear gear good choice dartfever
That rebuild can be DIY

As cheap as you bought those Speedmaster heads you can put them on and still be within your "Low Dollar" guidelines.
yeah.... wondering..... SM heads and dual quads with my free spitfire headers on a factory stock 318 short block...????? I have a 8.75 for it too, just waiting on gears.... :realcrazy:

Got some fun stuff in the making, and some of it is on the way...... This year we'll get the dust off of this car and make it sing a song... LOL :D When I get some of this stuff in my hands, and changes are being made, I'll start a new thread
:thumbsup:

Got some fun stuff in the making, and some of it is on the way...... This year we'll get the dust off of this car and make it sing a song... LOL :D When I get some of this stuff in my hands, and changes are being made, I'll start a new thread

I'd give your magnum heads a try... Maybe then the SM heads... Watching and seeing what happens.

I'd give your magnum heads a try... Maybe then the SM heads... Watching and seeing what happens.
I've been giving that some thought... Some of this I'll get started on pretty quick. I can't wait till Spring.. Ooops! :rolleyes:

I've been giving that some thought... Some of this I'll get started on pretty quick. I can't wait till Spring.. Ooops! :rolleyes:

I just want to see the mags, I am thinking about maybe putting a set on my 360, but realistically... Probably be better off with the SM by the time I pay for heads, then a manifold...

I just want to see the mags, I am thinking about maybe putting a set on my 360, but realistically... Probably be better off with the SM by the time I pay for heads, then a manifold...
One of them is going to test them... either my 360 or 318....

dscn2669-jpg.jpg

Well what's the scoop ? new thread ? We need a new discussion :)

Still figuring out the exact path, but when I know exactly what route I'm doing, and have the pieces, I'll start a new thread. Butcher the low dollar 318 for sure... and probably slow it up :)

Dat's beautiful.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
I've always been a single Holley guy when it comes to performance. Dual Quads look cool, but never bought one. I said that to say this is my first dual quad set up (besides snowmobiles, etc.. lol), so I'm really excited to try it. I'm going to bolt it on the 318 just to run it, adjust it, get familiar with it. I'll be doing that in the very near future, as that Duster is in the storage shed (or should I say it's tomb.. LOL) .

My brother had a pair of carter comp series on I believe an edelbrock dual manifold on top of a 440. 4spd Duster years ago.
He runs a stroked small block in a 76 Duster now

I like " a thing of joy is a beauty forever"
do you set those carbs up with progressive primaries or linked together?
what carbs- the small primary larger secondary ones?
should work great

I've always been a single Holley guy when it comes to performance. Dual Quads look cool, but never bought one. I said that to say this is my first dual quad set up (besides snowmobiles, etc.. lol), so I'm really excited to try it. I'm going to bolt it on the 318 just to run it, adjust it, get familiar with it. I'll be doing that in the very near future, as that Duster is in the storage shed (or should I say it's tomb.. LOL) .

Tomb,
I feel my Duster is the same fate, only drove it one last year.
Sitting in a rented storage building.

Just a wild guess .... the magnums will make the same or a little better et than the sm heads. I didnt say hp i said et.

Just a wild guess .... the magnums will make the same or a little better et than the sm heads. I didnt say hp i said et.
curious, wouldn't it be more hp if the et was lower, or are you think'n more bottom end torque?

The magnums when compared to the LA heads will give more compression, bigger valves, bigger ports and 1.6 rocker arms. It's just win win win and win.
But when compared to the sm heads the sm is lighter and have bigger valves and ports.

Last edited:
The magnums will give more compression, bigger valves, bigger ports and 1.6 rocker arms. It's just win win win and win.
than the SM's??? Read again what he wrote. SM's vs magnums, the SM's have bigger valves, bigger ports, and same CC

-
Back