my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
^^^ and I just noticed this thread has over 100k views. LOL.. WoW. Show'n the 318 a little love...

every factory car, with the same engine from the 50's on up, made more hp with more carbs - from the factory. Weather dual quad or six pack.

The 318 Poly dual quad motor would be a good basis of comparison.

75k+ of those views is you and jpop mouthin back and forth.
:lol:
I don't think Mr. J par had a lot of say'n in this thread.... at least not until the project was over. Last few pages maybe?? Naw, we love our 318's :D

I don't think Mr. J par had a lot of say'n in this thread.... at least not until the project was over. Last few pages maybe?? Naw, we love our 318's :D
As cheap as you bought those Speedmaster heads you can put them on and still be within your "Low Dollar" guidelines.

1967 Satellite. Actually is currently in the car. Can't seem to get the tune correct. Going to change the transmission out anyways, so I figured pull them as a unit and get it tuned on the Dyno. Helps to have a friend with a dyno!
ready to run2.jpg
satell10.jpg

Thanks! It was my father's. Inherited it back in 2006. Great cruising car, other than the BBD carb. Can't stand that thing. So I went over the top and figured 2 carbs are better than one! Have some custom shorty headers made for it too. Going to test the difference they make compared to the overly restrictive manifolds. Does have a regrind cam in it. If memory serves, it's a Elgin 214/214@.050 grind .443" lift.

Last edited:
Thanks! It was my father's. Inherited it back in 2006. Great cruising car, other than the BBD carb. Can't stand that thing. So I went over the top and figured 2 carbs are better than one! Have some custom shorty headers made for it too. Going to test the difference they make compared to the overly restrictive manifolds. Does have a regrind cam in it. If memory serves, it's a Elgin 214/214@.050 grind .430" lift.
Yep, she's a beauty!

1967 Satellite. Actually is currently in the car. Can't seem to get the tune correct. Going to change the transmission out anyways, so I figured pull them as a unit and get it tuned on the Dyno. Helps to have a friend with a dyno!
View attachment 1715446562 View attachment 1715446563
Is that by chance a Canadian built car? 67 was the last year for Poly's in Canada. 66 for domestic production.

Thanks! It was my father's. Inherited it back in 2006. Great cruising car, other than the BBD carb. Can't stand that thing. So I went over the top and figured 2 carbs are better than one! Have some custom shorty headers made for it too. Going to test the difference they make compared to the overly restrictive manifolds. Does have a regrind cam in it. If memory serves, it's a Elgin 214/214@.050 grind .430" lift.

That's a good jump from stock. It should have a hellva flat and fat torque curve.

Is that by chance a Canadian built car? 67 was the last year for Poly's in Canada. 66 for domestic production.

I speck since he's in Canada, that the car is Canadian too.

Yep Canadian car. Been in the family since 1998. Little over 10000 miles on the rebuild. Got fed up with the BBD, and here we are. Going to put a A999 in place of the A727 for the deeper first gear and slightly better cruising rpm with the lockup.

A999 great trans
transgo reprogramming kit and you can add some clutches
It should have the good double wrap low/reverse band and 4-5 pinion planets
but would a 92-94 518 work?
when you do your driveshaft use only factory or dana spicer joints the larger ones preferred

A999 great trans
transgo reprogramming kit and you can add some clutches
It should have the good double wrap low/reverse band and 4-5 pinion planets
but would a 92-94 518 work?
when you do your driveshaft use only factory or dana spicer joints the larger ones preferred

The A518 would work or A500 to get the same deeper first gear, but it still requires some floor surgery that I'm not currently equipped for. It has a 2.93 rear gear right now, so if I did go the o/d route, would have to change the rear gear too. Got the A999 although might be A998 and a roller cam 318 from a 87 dippy cop car for $125. Will be sending the trans for a full rebuild before it goes back in. Sorry 318willrun, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

The A518 would work or A500 to get the same deeper first gear, but it still requires some floor surgery that I'm not currently equipped for. It has a 2.93 rear gear right now, so if I did go the o/d route, would have to change the rear gear too. Got the A999 although might be A998 and a roller cam 318 from a 87 dippy cop car for $125. Will be sending the trans for a full rebuild before it goes back in. Sorry 318willrun, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
It's cool. This thread is 4 years old, and my 318 met it's goal. Although, to give your project the proper respect it deserves, it would make a nice thread what you are doing
:thumbsup:

It's cool. This thread is 4 years old, and my 318 met it's goal. Although, to give your project the proper respect it deserves, it would make a nice thread what you are doing
:thumbsup:
and I have no doubt you will reach your next goal, whatever you want it to be. :thumbsup:

Is the 998 a lock up 904? I scrapped one when I pulled my roller cam teen out. (Dumb) :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

-
Back