my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Bosch does tachometer??....
yeah, off the shelf from the parts store.
Speaking of the Duster, I threw another 600 eddy (1405) on it just to see how it responded. It didn't run very well at all, and a huge cough that actually killed the car under WOT off the line.... LOL.

So with all the rain they are predicting for the next several days, I got a couple of hours on this nice day and I throw them at the Duster. I installed one of those Bosch tachs I bought about 4 months ago that the auto parts stores sell, and guess what? It doesn't work. Yes, I know how to hook up a tach.... LOL. I don't know where I bought it, no receipt, so I lost. I used to always run the "auto gage by auto meter" tachs and never a problem. 1st time with a Bosch, bad experience I guess. The light works, and that's all..... :( I wanted to see what RPM's I'm shifting at, and all. I've got some tweaking to do, but I want to start with a tach to be consistant...... I guess another day...

So find a store that sells the Bosch tach and get another one, save the receipt and return the bad one!

I pulled the Eddy carb off the 318 Dart and went back to the Original 273 AFB. Was going to try swapping early venturies and 3 step rod setup into the Eddy to see if that would help, but have not had time to play yet. Some early AFB's had very large accelerator pump squirters. You did tune with the secondaries locked out to take that out of the equation?

Tach is working now. My bad. The connection to the negative on the coil wasn't getting the proper connection. It appears I've been shifting at 5300 rpm's according to the tach (it's a cheapy, so hope it's calibrated right). By ear it sounds a little more, but 5300 according to Mr. Bosch :D
Anyways, it appears I'm making some progress with the stumbling out of the hole. The tweaking continues.

I pulled the Eddy carb off the 318 Dart and went back to the Original 273 AFB. Was going to try swapping early venturies and 3 step rod setup into the Eddy to see if that would help, but have not had time to play yet. Some early AFB's had very large accelerator pump squirters. You did tune with the secondaries locked out to take that out of the equation?
Yes, I went off of just the primaries, same thing. I've gotten it a little better. I've also ordered the step-up springs (12.00 bucks). If this doesn't fix it, I'm putting one of my Holleys on it.

You should be able to tune the stumble out of it. 600cfm IIRC? This should not be a big problem. However, stomping on it like your trying to kill a hard shell beatle may be to much for it.

Perhaps a hard push and roll into full throttle?

You should be able to tune the stumble out of it. 600cfm IIRC? This should not be a big problem. However, stomping on it like your trying to kill a hard shell beatle may be to much for it.

Perhaps a hard push and roll into full throttle?

That would work, but he should be able to tune the bog out.

That would work, but he should be able to tune the bog out.
I'm confident I could get it, it's just I don't have any tuning parts for the eddy. I also hardly put any time into the car. Just a lot of stuff going on, and I like to at least "look" at my other Duster now and then... LOL.
Two facts that will compound ANY issues off line with the carb: Factory Converter AND Tall Gears. If there is a hesitation, the gears/converter will bring it out. I'm sure if I had a 2800 stall with 3.55's I would have never know about it. I can say from my experience, Holley's are no where near as fussy. I've put 750 dp Holleys on virtually stock 318's with factory converters and not have a bog.

I think, for the most part, I've showed with under 500 bucks at a 318 you can run with a lot of muscle cars from yesteryear, and that's without headers, converter or gears. A trap speed of 94 mph on a hot day shows the teener is making enough power when compared to the mph of a lot of factory muscle cars from yesterday. Yes, you can play in our hobby with a 318 and very little money :)

Typically your bog out of the hole is because the car is going lean between the idle circuit and the main jetting... In a holley a bigger squirter, usually a 30-35 range in the primary side will cure it along with some accelerator pump cam trial and error.

Had to do some hunting to find this post, interested to see what your results were! Our 318 duster is currently running 9.80's @ 69-70mph in the 8th mile with a holley vac sec. 600 / 727 (stockish converter) / peanut 675 heads / unknown camshaft (from previous owner) / and a dana 60 with 3.55's. The wife is running this car in novice / sportsman and it doesn't require a burnout and she leaves it in drive. Won first 2 appearances in novice so I would say it's working out fine. 1200 street miles on it since Mid may.

Have a Holley 650 to try out next and tracking down a set of headers. Pretty sure I could get low 9's or high 8's out of it - maybe some head work / cam and an airgap intake over the winter if the wife is ready for it to be a little quicker.

Noticed you are also in Illinois - might have to get together and have a run off!

Last edited:
Staging the car a little tighter against the converter can also help alleviate such a noticeable bog vs trying to leave off a dead idle...

Staging the car a little tighter against the converter can also help alleviate such a noticeable bog vs trying to leave off a dead idle...
Yeah, I "power braked"it up to about 1400 rpm's and left like that. It was still bog'n.

Well, I threw my ole' Holley 770 street avenger on it today.

1st, I'd like to be fair to edelbrock and say I didn't buy the carb new, and I didn't have a lot of time trying to tweak the bog out. Edelbrock is a good company and if I had a new one it might have been a different story.

Now, I took it out for a test run, and I could lay rubber like never before. Not that it's best point is from 0-30 mph, but there was certainly a noticeable gain in power/low end torque.
What I did NOT expect, was a gain on top end power. I was shifting the eddy at about 5200-5300 rpm's. It didn't want any more. The Holley was pulling so well, the tach flew by 5200 rpm's, I didn't shift till 5500 rpm's. This is the strongest I've felt yet out of the "low dollar 318". Now, it's getting my next chance to hit the dragstrip, 'cause I'm ready to punch the low dollar 318 into the 14's..... and I wouldn't be surprised if I click 96 mph..... That would be exciting with 2.76 gears, stock converter, no headers, and a 500 doller 318 :)

Last edited:
This is what it's looking like now with the Holley..........

SDC11170.JPG

SDC11171.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back