my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Holley's seem to deliver more top end over the Edelbrocks.

So my son and I finally get the chance to return to the strip with the 318. Drive my hour and get there, only to find out it's 1/8 mile only day. Oh, well, left there and went to a car show where there was a nice showing of Mopars.....
There will be another time....... :rolleyes:

So my son and I finally get the chance to return to the strip with the 318. Drive my hour and get there, only to find out it's 1/8 mile only day. Oh, well, left there and went to a car show where there was a nice showing of Mopars.....
There will be another time....... :rolleyes:
Yeah,that track time thing,lol... How's the off idle situation? Still ,a flat spot?...

Yeah,that track time thing,lol... How's the off idle situation? Still ,a flat spot?...
Got a 770 street avenger on it now that I had laying around......

Oh, I put the next step stiffer springs in the eddy, along with squirters from a 750 eddy, and yesterday I threw it on my 360 and there was no hesitation on the 360. Every engine has it's own requirements, and this is why I always advise to give the engine what IT wants. This includes timing, carbs, etc. etc. Rule of thumb will get ya ball park, but that is the beginning of tweaking.....

You've given me new mixed-up emotions about tweakers!?? :drama:

Oh, I put the next step stiffer springs in the eddy, along with squirters from a 750 eddy, and yesterday I threw it on my 360 and there was no hesitation on the 360. Every engine has it's own requirements, and this is why I always advise to give the engine what IT wants. This includes timing, carbs, etc. etc. Rule of thumb will get ya ball park, but that is the beginning of tweaking.....

Did someone forget to tell you that anything over 600cfm is to much for a 318 ? LOL

Did someone forget to tell you that anything over 600cfm is to much for a 318 ? LOL
Same folks that forgot to tell Chrysler that you can't put 800 cfm's on a 318 with manifolds and single exhaust....... LOL

It doesn't look any bigger on my 318 than it would on a 360..... LOL
sdc11171-jpg.1714949953

This is some experience ,showing here.. You're aware of a good smooth tune,rather than throwing the weakest secondary spring, in vac sec Holley,or throwing a stock distributor curve distributor,in a low compression,over cammed engine .. Your posts,are fun to watch....

Well, can't seem to get the low dollar 318 back to the dragstrip, but I here it is with the 770 Holley going from 0-80. Going a little easy out of the hole... Keep in mind 2.76 gears, stock converter, exhaust manifolds.......

@318willrun , you said earlier that the summit k50052 cam wasn't your first choice but it fit the budget. What other cams would you have liked to use in this build ?

@318willrun , you said earlier that the summit k50052 cam wasn't your first choice but it fit the budget. What other cams would you have liked to use in this build ?
Glad you asked, I'll be happy to answer it. I would have preferred to use this MP cam. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452761ae/overview/
I've ran this cam before and really liked it. But, it would have pushed me over my 499.00 bucks.
Also, I would have cut the heads .030 to make up the difference I lost by putting the Fel pro head gaskets on.... but cutting the heads wasn't in the budget. But hey, I stayed under 499.00 and ran a better speed than any factory '73 340 auto 3.21 ever recorded, and I did it with 2.76 gears, stock converter and no headers. I also ran a better speed than any factory 360 4bbl Duster that I could find.

That! Is the "Replacement 340 cam" I always recommend one not the OE 340 cam since the duration @ .050 numbers are way different.

That is a good street performance cam.

You have inspired me.
I am going to bring this thread back from the dead, picked up another project and the only engines I have to stick in it is a 318.
So I am going to build a teen, on the cheap, to use some of my parts collection up.

You have inspired me.
I am going to bring this thread back from the dead, picked up another project and the only engines I have to stick in it is a 318.
So I am going to build a teen, on the cheap, to use some of my parts collection up.
Awesome. ...I can't wait to see it!!!!!

Jeff

-
Back