my new dart race car....kinda strange

-

XXLMopar

Reaction score
Just pick up a nice little 62 Dart 440, it came with a 440/727. And a Dana 60 with ladder bar 3 link. Its a nice clean car but I found something weird about how the back windows look. And I think this car was a 4 door! Any idea why someone would change it? I was told it had been a race car since day one. Any info or ideas ????

Attachments

• IMG_20150211_162255_658.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 795
This is a friend's 62 Dart. I agree, yours looks like a converted 4 door??
Possibly they used a 4 door and sealed / welded up the back door area to stiffen up the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 768
Oh yes it defientaly was a 4 door. I can open the front doors and see a hinge for the rear doors. Anyone have an idea why someone would convert it? They did a decent job.

yep it does look like converted 4 door. but it is a well known fact the chrysler built some for race only cars that had some body mods to cheat that are hard to see.

I think its a very neat car, I have never seen one until I got ahold this one. That's some if the info I wanna find out if it was some kind of factory race car.

If it was a factory 4 door conversion race car, I am guessing it would be very rare and desirable. Never heard of that, but do some research.

4 door are cheaper than 2 doors. Or maybe it's just what the person had easy/cheap access to.

Any ideas on where to do some research? I was told it was a race car all its life. So there is no vin. That I can find so far. Did dodge hide another somewhere on the car?

Couple more pics

Attachments

• IMG_20150221_144131_840.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_20150211_162331_986.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 577
A little info that I found, back in '62 a 4 door car was actually more money than a 2 door. So I doubt someone did this because it was a cheaper car unless it was done recently.

Vin plate should be on driver front door post near door hinges.

Do you have any solid proof it was bought and immediately made a racecar? It's a 50+ year old car. If it was made into a race car 25 years ago, it was cheaper to buy a 4 door than 2 door. Or it could have just been whatever the racer happen to have access too.

Maybe 4 doors were put in different classes? IIRC, Station wagons were even in '63. And they had more weight on rear tires.

The vin plate is long gone, and just from what the previous owner told me it was a race from day one. Who knows. The rear wheel tubs and whole interior is covered in carpet I'm gonna peal some of that up see if any vin tags are left in the car. Did they mount VIN numbers anywhere eles on the car back then?

The vin plate is long gone, and just from what the previous owner told me it was a race from day one. Who knows. The rear wheel tubs and whole interior is covered in carpet I'm gonna peal some of that up see if any vin tags are left in the car. Did they mount VIN numbers anywhere eles on the car back then?

No other complete vin plates. Might be 6 digit serial number stamped on chassis, but will not tell you about the car.

And I think a 62 vin even will only tell you if it's a V-8 or /6 ?? So even if you had that, it wouldn't help much. Really need the fender tag.

Cool ride. I always wanted one of those cars. Almost bought one to race about 6 years ago. We just could not agree on a price.

Well I still want to do some research, and fix a couple things before I put it out there. I was gonna start at $12500

-
Back