My New FABO Reality Show...Rani, I'ma Callin' You Out!!!

-
WOW!! no way to take that image back-- please let's keep this to car related items only-- my dog has ran & hid under the bed after Steve's post!!

Hey, I havent been able to spend any time on the dash:banghead:. But I decided to take you up on the sex appeal(I think) ooooor maybe not! Pretty groggy when I took this pic.....damned bedroom eyes got sleeping bags under them... I do have a topless pic too..might be more appropriate seeing as mine is a vert????

oh you guys be nice .....every TV chanel needs a comedy aspect or even a commercial LOL

for me this is first impressions bcoz i never knew what Mr. Steve looks like, i have "talked" to him VIA PM but never knew till now the face behind the name. LOL

ok there is still plenty of room to get back on to car stuff....no one needs to be mean. :burnout:

#-o :D LMAO

Well all, the producers of the FABO network sincerly appologize for having to sell time at night to keep the lights on, and our latest late night show "Package Wars" seems to have gotten a little racy last night!! You should have seen some of the shows we had to turn away!!! Oh well, at least we have some kind of idea of what Steve has been up to during his absence from "The Gauntlet"!!LOL!!

Now, in true reality TV style, after 2 full episodes of "The Gauntlet", it's time for our first behind the scenes special...."The Gauntlet...Inside the Glove" (no reference to Steves pic intended) This special episode is in response to the overwhelming fan mail for a more detailed description of how convertible trim is removed, or better how it all goes back together. OK, it was only one request, but after Christmas shopping with the kiddo's all day, no progress has been made at camp cosgig yet today, so here goes!! This one's for you, Lawrence...

The sequence of windshield trim removal went as such...
(1) Remove visors and rearview mirror
(2) Remove the screws from the inside and outside windshield chrome trim but don't pull the trim just yet, especially the inside corners. You can remove the inside center piece at this time, and the included pic shows how it lips up under the outer trim
(3) Remove the screw up inside the A-pillar seal at the top and pull back the seal from the channel to expose the screws holding the channel on and remove those pieces seal and all. This will expose the outer windshield A-pillar chrome retaining screws
(4)Remove the A-pillar outer moulding screws but not the trim yet
(5)Now refer to the included pic of whats under the outer chrome trim. It is some form of foam rubber gasket that is sticky on both sides and holds the outside trim down. I had to slip a prybar up under the outside trim near the center and gently lift the middle area to get the foam to release. I was then able to work my way to the corners and release them and the sides all together.

I got nervous about damaging the plastic inner A-pillar trim so I removed the kick panels, and removed the plastic trim while I removed the inside chrome corners, and with all the fasteners out and all the pieces loose, I sort of "unstitched" the inner and outer corner pieces by wiggling them off together.

To replace the trim I would do just the opposite...put the inside chrome corners on the plastic trim and put them in place, and rescrew the inside center piece in place. Then place all the outer trim over the windshield frame and lock it over the inside trim lip. The outer trim has an over/under slip-in design which should be easy to figure out!! Screw the outer A-pillar pieces into place and replace the seal channel and screw that off. Push the seal back into the channel and rescrew that top screw thats inside the seal. Then go back through and line up all the screwholes and replace all the screws in the rest of the pieces and put the visors and mirror back on!!

I think thats it, and I'm sorry I didn't take pics as I went along, but I've had this trim off a couple times before and didn't think to chronicle it here!! Our show is only 22 minutes after commercials, so we don't have time here to show everything, but the producers are happy to help with pics and details whenever possible. If you need more detail, message back in a PM and include your email addy and I'll go over the procedure in as much detail as you need!!

OK gang, thats it for this special addition of "The Gauntlet...Inside The Glove"!! Look for our next episode of "The Gauntlet" after dinner tonight, when the kiddo's go to bed and the dash comes out!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4575.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_4576.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 604
  • 100_4577.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 579
  • 100_4578.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 100_4579.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 568
  • 100_4580.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 562
i do have a plan to make this stuff beautiful......just need some time, like a couple weeks....you just watch O:):coffee2:

i have most of the small bits on the existing dash ...if not i have access to more donor cars for small stuff.....stay tuned as i give this this stuff a makeover ....it wont look like the same stuff when im done :glasses7:

it has been such a shame all this time to let this stuff just sit rotting in a donor car, when it can be made beautiful and used in a car. The donor car belongs to my best friend who i call my cousin. him and his family pretty much raised me and brought me to the US after i was in a bad accident, instead of leaving me to die where i was when i was younger and all they ask for in return is that i dont get in trouble and be a good person and dont waste my second chance at life.
They are also the same ppl who gave me Natasha (68 dart) as a birthday gift this past year and they very kindly gave me permission to use whatever i can restore and use out of the donor cuda before the rest gets sent to scrap.
i just mentioned that bcoz there is no way i can do all this on what i make. i would never be able to afford to buy the major pices from an external source like ebay or what have you. even though i do buy the new and little stuff myself.....like a windsheild gasket LOL

Just to clarify: i will state the point of this.......this Rally dash is from a 1968 Barracuda and it is going to be restored for use in my 1968 dodge DART.....in case anyone missed that......i think Mr. Steve sir and Mr. Geof sir are both doing a restoration of an existing dash in Barracudas

the rally dash was NOT an available option in a 68 dodge dart but i believe it should have been....i intend to use only factory parts and make it look "as if the factory did it" with correct year items. so sitting in my car when im done will make someone think they are sitting in a barracuda yet on the outside its obviously a dart....a very sexy Dart LOL

Attachments

• CIMG1742.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 621
  • CIMG1741.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 595
  • CIMG1740.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 606
  • CIMG1739.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 566
now we can have a myth busters segment: can a 150 MPH speedometer make my slant six faster.......well we are just going to have to try it out now....... after its in i will let you know if the car can go any faster :happy1:

if you cant see the joke in this and are really taking me serious .....then you need to get to know me better :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

OK, I spot a couple differences in our dash frames already. Mine is solid on the top while Rani's looks to be relief cut for some reason!! Anybody know why they would do such a thing??

FYI, I've heard that the 150 speedo is good for about 3/10th at the track, and guarentees to lower your 60ft. times to under 2.00!!! Talk about cheep horsepower!! Go for it girl!! Geof

The crowd has divided into two sides now, on the left we hear: Rani :wav: Rani :wav: Rani :wav:

And on the right not to be out done the chant goes up for cosgig: :sleepy1: just kidding :toothy3::wav::wav:

I have a chrome water pump pulley (1960 valiant)-- trying to figure out how to make it into a trophy for the winner, similar to the Stanley cup-- travels to the new winner each event-- suggestions? I'm trying to get FABO # 1 imprinted on the face --so it can become garage art for a time.

my thoughts are this is small --chrome & e-z to ship so it could move from place to place relatively cheap.
Lawrence

Attachments

• sawzallparts.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 565
I have a chrome water pump pulley (1960 valiant)-- trying to figure out how to make it into a trophy for the winner, similar to the Stanley cup-- travels to the new winner each event-- suggestions? I'm trying to get FABO # 1 imprinted on the face --so it can become garage art for a time.

my thoughts are this is small --chrome & e-z to ship so it could move from place to place relatively cheap.
Lawrence

Oooooh, thats got potential there Lawrence!!! Gotta have something like one of those big foam #1 hands holding up a finger, only smaller, like a manequin hand with a greasy glove over it, like you know, for "The Gauntlet"!!!

I can hear the acceptance speeches now..."I'd like to thank everybody who gave a helping hand".....

OK, I spot a couple differences in our dash frames already. Mine is solid on the top while Rani's looks to be relief cut for some reason!! Anybody know why they would do such a thing??

the reliefs in the top started in 68 and were an effort to soften the dash in a collision so were the lower dash pads in 68. the reliefs were designed to cave in easier should the dash be struck by a body during a collision......first generation crumple zones and a really cave man approach to safety but 68 was a major year that federal laws changed towards auto safety.....the popular side markers started in 68 bcoz that was the first year federal safety laws specified that the car must be seen from its profile at night either by light or reflector.

Also the 67 style spring loaded glove box door was phased out for 68 in favor of a latch and button style and the idea was to minimize the chance of the glove box door opening in a collision and lacerating the occupant.

68 was also the first year that the woodgrain console replaced the 67- chrome one and lots of cabin chrome was eliminated to comply with Federal "anti Glare" laws.

very interesting historical notes on all this. thanks to Ralph Nader and Federal Laws concerning Safety and pollution.

If that pulley turns into a trophy, it needs to be powder coated. On the house of course!

Hey, I'm the boss. I can do $hit like that. :-D

Lawrence

Get a chain mail glove they are pretty cheap spray it with clear or something to make it stand up straight then tack weld it to the pulley that would be awesome!!!

Whoa, great info from camp Rani on the safety regs enacted in 68. Looks like she's trying to "sway" public support here folks!!!

And the trophy...nice photoshop job there 73D, or should I say "Oscar"!!!LOL!!

Now, with the fresh info and huge public support for camp Rani, cosgig has put together the first ever holiday special here on "The Gauntlet", in a futile attempt at damage control. Grab a Christmas cookie and strap yourself in the sleigh and follow along. Cue the Christmas music Johnny!!!....

T'was the night before Christmas, and all through the house, gas fumes were rising, from the garage no doubt!!

Outside in the work bay, a clammering was felt, from old Christmas cosgig, and one tiny elf!!

Mrs. C was enlisted to follow along, but only in pictures, she wouldn't join us in song!!

The dash bolts were loosened from the body with care, in hopes that no damage to the car would occur!!

The last bolt was loosened, it was finally free, after 2 long years in planning, or maybe it's been THREE!!

As the elf grabbed at one end, and Christmas cosgig the other, the whole thing was lifted and placed on foam rubber!!

As party time approaches, we had to put out the light...

So from cosgig, the elf, Nella and Mrs. C, have a great Christmas night!!!

Good night everybody, we'll see you next time here on "The Gauntlet"!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4583.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_4585.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 550
  • 100_4586.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 535
  • 100_4587.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 569
  • 100_4589.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 523
update:

i recieved the 68 cuda dash harness lot that i bought here on FABO
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216031
so now i have 3 dash harnesses to choose from and possibly mix and match to make a real nice one ....which is great bcoz the one in the car has been an electrical problem child since i have had this car....so i will be glad to get rid of the original dash harness and get one in that i went through and know is clean and fully functional.

another big surprise is for Christmas my aunt said she would help me by ordering a new windsheild gasket for this project.

so i am getting my ducks in a row and now the work starts bcoz today im planning to strip the dash frame and get this party going even more.

now that the 4 speed swap is wraping up i can drive the car again even though its not complete .....which is a huge help bcoz i cant push a dead car in and out of the garage im 87lbs so i cant even push a yugo, so forget pushing a mammoth dart.

i am going to pull the dash from car very last ...i want to have the rally dash painted and ready to drop by the time i even touch the car.

Attachments

• CIMG1748.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 510
Well I figured I had given Rani and Cosgig enough of a head start, seeing as how my bezel and dash is already outta the cuda. Here are some "G" rated pics. Inst bezel is complete, no cracks(yet!!), but it is faded pretty good. My plan for now is to go with the wood grain decal kit, but this one has the "black upper" and its textured...dunno if that will make a difference or not. Either way it needs a facelift so I will give it a shot. I plan on lightly LIGHTLY sandblasting the inst bezel(real low psi to start and test). The dash is in pretty good shape too but needs a "boob job"(I already used "facelift") Kinda fits as its a vert/topless right?? Aaaaanyway, I dont think the frickin dash frame will fit in my cabinet. Soooo big messes a coming! I will start out with the bezel 1st and then move onto the frame. Car is nowhere near being done, but Im looking forward to having fun and maybe knocking something off the "to-do list" As I move fwd in this chapter we will see about "upgrades". Im thinking LED's for the lights, dad and I sent in our factory tachs to get the upgraded boards:cheers: in them. So that will be going in...I shoulda sent my 150 speedo in as well:banghead: but was more concerned with dads stuff getting done. As for supplies, I am open to suggestions on the bezel, but for the dash I am using etch primer, then Marhyde "satin black" interior trip paint. I heard its good stuff! I am open to any suggestions for materials? Hey I might be "bringin up the rear here", but Geoff ya gotta admit, the view is better, as long as yer arse doesnt block my view of the Duchess of Darts!!

Materials(for now)
Decal kit for inst bezel
Etch primer(spray bomb)
Marhyde Trim Paint Satin Black
LED's

Attachments

• DSCF9664 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF9681 (Medium).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 461
  • DSCF9678 (Medium).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCF9674 (Medium).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCF9672 (Medium).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCF9669 (Medium).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF9665 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 460
Oiy...OMG, Ladies and Germs,...Looks like 4spdragtop is still on the track,...Lets see what the weekend brings....

Here are some "G" rated pics.

Aaaaanyway, I dont think the frickin dash frame will fit in my cabinet. Soooo big messes a coming!

that is not a "G" rated ...that is pure car **** of the likes i like to see (much better than your blue room)

and you can do what i did for a bigger blast cabinet........get an old empty tuff shed and fill it with sand ...TADA instant mega sized blast cabinet LOL

Does everyone know what time it is?? Thats right ladies and gents, time for another segment of our little show we here at FABO like to call "The Gauntlet"!!!

Looks like Steve and Rani have been at work behind the scenes, getting their "ducks" in a row!! Hey, I thought this was "The Gauntlet", not Duck Dynasty!!!LOL!! We knew the calm before the storm was killing us, and now hurricane 4spd has made land and is taking the show by storm!!!

I personally have been getting my ducks in a row for over 3 years now for this project, starting with my dash cluster. I took it in trade as payment for some trim work on a buddy's house because I wanted the 150 speedo and tach, and I had a couple extra parts clusters to glean parts from, like a nice circuit board and such. My wiring harness from the car is in really nice shape so I'll be using that, but the dash bezels I have just aren't going to cut it!!

So, how can I pay for having my bezels redone, when it is going to top $600.00 with the A-pillar mouldings too?? Well, faithful viewers, my answer is that YOU are actually paying for me!!! What?? Well, before you call the cops for internet fraud, let me explain!! You see, I have been selling parts here for a few years now, and in the last 6 month's or so building up to this project, I have been letting all my sales paid for by Paypal just accumulate until I had enough to send out the dash frame and bezels to get redone!! Thats the only way I can do it here folks!! I don't have a credit card to just open the catalog and order stuff, I gotta do it the old fashioned way and save up, re-purpose, and trade "ducks" instead of "bucks", just like my competitors here.

This looks to be a pretty fair contest between 3 like-minded contestants, so I'm really looking forward to "reveal" day, when we all get to show our finished products here for all to see!!! I just hope Steve buys a new suit, or some clothes, ANY clothes, for the ceremony!! I don't think our viewers are ready for full contact reality TV just yet!!LOL!!

Here's a few pics of my progress over the last couple days. The cluster is out and stripped down, the dash frame is on it's way to PSC, and a little side project has revealed itself also. When we got the car, the owner had taken out the heater box and just left the fan to block the opening off. Something about not needing a heater in a convertible I think!! Anyway, I don't roll like that and will be redoing a box and fixing that problem as well. That should keep me occupied while the dash frame is being worked on and the bezels are being redone!!

So, thats it for this segment of "The Gauntlet", until next time, keep 'em between the ditches!! cosgig...OUT!!

Attachments

• 100_4618.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 100_4617.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 100_4608.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 486
  • 100_4612.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_4588.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 447
Thanks for the "Marquee" Keith! LOL

Thanks for the "tuff shed" advice Rani, :thumblef: but what the heck is a "tuff shed"?? :-k

Well, got the bezel completely apart. I used the "Solder It" Solder Pro 70k to melt the plastic that held the dash lenses in. Worked pretty slick!!Used it for the turn signals indicator lenses too. Lenses are pretty dirty, Ima gunna clean them and see if they need a polish or not, either way the plastic centers will get a cleaning and a fresh coat of paint on them. For some reason me thinks Ima gunna need my glasses or big-assed magnifying glass for a lot of this tedious stuff! Im hoping tomorrow to get the top steel plate blasted, as well as the bezel. Looks like I may need to book a full body wax job for the awards ceremony! Gotta look my best ya know!!:hello2:

Attachments

• DSCF9684 (Medium).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCF9683 (Medium).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCF9685 (Medium).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCF9686 (Medium).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 441
-
Back