Mystery wires

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
This would be in on the main engine harness on the end towards the alternator side. The single wire appears to be some what of a brownish/red solid color. The double is brown wire with ring terminal and a tan/cream colored wire with terminal. I have a 72 diagram and im not finding these 3 on there. Can yall help?

Attachments

• mystery wire.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 319
  • mystery wire2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 331
Just a wild guess since I'm operating only one 1 cup of coffee...
That's a slant 6 harness and those are hot to coil brown, oil sender special that looks like female spade.

Any clue on the other wire? Its about 10 or so away from the alt wires. just one lone wire. Thanks for the info on the coil i never thought of that. Could it be reverse light or something? Guy that I bought i from said he had to cut one wire running underneight to get the harness out?

Any clue on the other wire? Its about 10 or so away from the alt wires. just one lone wire. Thanks for the info on the coil i never thought of that. Could it be reverse light or something? Guy that I bought i from said he had to cut one wire running underneight to get the harness out?

A single wire that went under the car would have been to neutral safety switch on the trans and would also have been brown.

looks like it could be coil and oil sender...

attachment.php

if its purple i'm gonna say temp sender..

attachment.php

I think oil sender wire is light gray on slant six.

My suggestion would be to use an ohmmeter to follow the mystery wire to the bulkhead connector and see what terminal it connects to, and then consult the FSM to see what circuit that is.

My suggestion would be to use an ohmmeter to follow the mystery wire to the bulkhead connector and see what terminal it connects to, and then consult the FSM to see what circuit that is.

Yup, X2

wrjjol.jpg

And da#### Red, I don't drink much coffee, but now I'll have to go fix a cup!!!

Ok the brown is coil i get that. the other one with the spade terminal yall are saying oil sender is tan i even have my wife look at it and its tan. not a grey. I dont believe i will need any of these 2 wires as i plan an MSD set up, and using aftermarket gauges for oil pressure and temp. Unless thats not correct?

Ok the brown is coil i get that. the other one with the spade terminal yall are saying oil sender is tan i even have my wife look at it and its tan. not a grey. I dont believe i will need any of these 2 wires as i plan an MSD set up, and using aftermarket gauges for oil pressure and temp. Unless thats not correct?

I suppose there could have been a difference where the oil sender wire was a different color for a warning lamp instead of a oil guage.
Sometime along the way they moved the ignition module to that side too. In that case you would have 4 yet unidentified wires and not just the one wire.
A pic showing the other side of the connector on your tan wire might help.

Yes sir that is the oil sender connector. It does look a lot like a female for a flat male spade but.. The sides aren't rolled as far or as close together. It slides over a round button like contact on the top of the oil sender. Notice the little round spot in the center of that terminal also. The narrow piece at the front of the opening should be bent down a little to serve as a keeper so it doesn't side off easily.

Ok Now should i keep the stock oil sender as well? I do play to install a gauge at some point but nice to have things function like they did new.

If the sender is old, replace it. They crack and dump oil, bomb you without warning.
Temp senders just up and die for no good reason too. I would replace both if I had the coins and/or a new engine at risk.

the car was a /6 now a 440. The 440 had no senders. So im unsure what to buy really. Do i need a sender for a 440 or a sender for a /6 and will that fit on the 440. I guess what im saying is i dont know what to buy.

All the same, The parts counter clerk will ask lots of questions for his lookup. "What color is the car ?" LOL
Only real question is for a warning lamp or for a gauge.

I notice on the back of my 440 there is 2 ports one on each side of the rib. Im guessing one is for gauge and one is for light. Thanks for all your help yall and redfish thank you!

Looks like the harness was taped up before. So cut it apart and follow it . You will need to cut the tape off to move the oil sender to the rear of the motor anyway. One more suggestion is get a schematic for your car. It will tell you what all these wires are for. It would be easier for you to follow them in the flesh then others on here with pics.

If your having problems with this you will need a lot more info for a custom trans plant 440 to slant six car. Maybe you should reconcider doing this job on your own to prevent a desaster with a fire. Steve

I have a schematic for my car. The harness isnt from my car its from a donor. Problem was I was looking for these wires and not finding them on the diagram. The harness was retaped by me the factory taping was intact. I just went over it after i had wiped the factory layer clean just to clean things up a bit. The harness is from a 72 V8 Duster which mine is a 72 Scamp so should be the same. I have help for the wiring was just trying to get a few things in order. Please check out my build thread in my signature you be surprised what ive accomplished on my own.

that single wire, open the harness, if it is spliced into the blue alternator wire, it is for the electric choke. I had to add one on my 71 when I changed carbs. The spade is for an electronic oil pressure sending unit and if the other is brown i think with a white tracer, hot side of coil. Thats what my guess is

-
Back