Nascar chase format

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
I know nascar is a touchy subject but I'd like toknow your opinions on this chase format. It's looking myjohnson will gethis 4th in a row championship which leads me to really question if this format works

The Chase? What a joke. If you ask me, the whole deal has turned into something I am not even interested in anymore. The main attraction that NASCAR had over Indy car was the fact that they weren't running funny looking cars in circles for a couple of hours. Used to be relevant what sort of suspension, engines, bodies, etc. each manufacturer made. Not anymore. Now everybody's running Blowties of one sort or another.
Don't get me started on the first induction class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame. They only inducted 2 drivers. Bill France Jr. and Dale Earnhart are more important to NASCAR history than David Pearson and Cale Yarborough? Don't think so. I would have bounced the other France for one of the Allison brothers too.

the chase was make up cause one guy runs away with the points every year...

now nasfart...trys to keep the fan interested by coming up with the chase....have you noticed the chase starts around the same time as the NFL kicks off....

and if the chase a wonderful idea...why dont they use it in the nationwide or truck series?

The Chase? What a joke. If you ask me, the whole deal has turned into something I am not even interested in anymore. The main attraction that NASCAR had over Indy car was the fact that they weren't running funny looking cars in circles for a couple of hours. Used to be relevant what sort of suspension, engines, bodies, etc. each manufacturer made. Not anymore. Now everybody's running Blowties of one sort or another.
Don't get me started on the first induction class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame. They only inducted 2 drivers. Bill France Jr. and Dale Earnhart are more important to NASCAR history than David Pearson and Cale Yarborough? Don't think so. I would have bounced the other France for one of the Allison brothers too.

great post. NASCAR same as IROC we don't see that anymore. HALL OF SHAME> come on 60, 70 years of racing and DALE EARNHART is first?
I guess the EARNFARTS PAYS THE BILLS

I know nascar is a touchy subject but I'd like toknow your opinions on this chase format. It's looking myjohnson will gethis 4th in a row championship which leads me to really question if this format works

Mostly. For the most part, it's just hype. The people who have been doing well all season long are in the chase. It would not matter if there was a chase or not from that standpoint.

Sadly, it's the guys that can afford the most R&D are the ones who are winning. It's more like a race of dollars than a race of virtually identical cars powered by engines from different manufacturers.

That said, the guys who are winning or finishing well on a consistent basis are in. I'm watching to see how Kyle Busch's finishes during the case will stack up had he made the chase. As it has turned out this season, his early season inconsistency put him in a hole he couldn't dig out of.

Like it or not, Johnson has the skills, equipment, and people behind him that find ways to make the best of a bad day. If he wins the championship, that's why.

I don't even bother watching NASCAR anymore. National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing has become Non American Same Car Auto Racing

Money....root of all evil

The more money thrown in the more evil it becomes.

I use to like watching nascar. It isn't the same. If a guy had a good start to the season, and runs into some bad luck he gets put out even if he turns it around he is still out

I use to say the way I like to see rusty wallace was upside down, SOMEONE FLIP JIMMY OVER AT THE START OF THE REST OF THE RACES WOULD BE A REASON TO WATCH AND CHEER

Not a Jimmy fan, but really don't care for too many others either.

The safer things get the more they loose fan interest. NASCAR has made the changes to keep there cash cow going. If you are loosing your most popular drivers they loose money. If they want to increase there fan base the have to put the danger back in the sport. I dont want to see anybody killed. but you have to give some kind of a thrill other then the first two laps when they are still bunched up.

Sorry, back to the Chase. See above paragraph. :-D

I have to admit that I like nascar as much as much as a northern boy can(not too popular up here) but I haven't been keeping up with it lately. I liked when they went to the chase format because I was tired of seeing someone run away with the championship half way through the season but it looks like good ol JJ is gonna do it again anyway. I've never been thrilled with a race on TV (usually watch the first 50 laps, have a sunday nap and wake up for the last 50) but it's going to a race and being there that will always keep me a fan. You guys down south are lucky for that, it doesn't cost you 2 grand for a race weekend with your lady. (mine is a Kasey Kahne fan, go figure) Kev.

I have to admit that I like nascar as much as much as a northern boy can(not too popular up here) but I haven't been keeping up with it lately. I liked when they went to the chase format because I was tired of seeing someone run away with the championship half way through the season but it looks like good ol JJ is gonna do it again anyway. I've never been thrilled with a race on TV (usually watch the first 50 laps, have a sunday nap and wake up for the last 50) but it's going to a race and being there that will always keep me a fan. You guys down south are lucky for that, it doesn't cost you 2 grand for a race weekend with your lady. (mine is a Kasey Kahne fan, go figure) Kev.

I see you've never been to the "Paytona 500". LOL And I live in the same state it's in. Its cost 5000 to go with an RV, parked outside(rv rental 2500+ fuel). And the truck race is the most exciting part.
Nice thing is from our parking spot to our seat is less then 20 min. :happy10:

nascar is a joke period....get back to the way it was and let the manufacturers see who can make the fastest production circle track car,and of course get toyota out of there.

I see you've never been to the "Paytona 500". LOL And I live in the same state it's in. Its cost 5000 to go with an RV, parked outside(rv rental 2500+ fuel). And the truck race is the most exciting part.
Nice thing is from our parking spot to our seat is less then 20 min. :happy10:

Ya I was at the 2000 Daytona, what a zoo, I'll never do it again! Never thought I'd ever see the day I'd pay $50.00 to park in a staples parking lot. I'm assuming that if you live in Florida and just hopped in your car it might cost a tad less! LOL. The best race I've been to was my first one at the old Rockingham track back in 1999. Since doing the Daytona I've made the genius discovery that shorter tracks are better, more value when you can actually see the WHOLE TRACK and not just the 5 seconds that they are blasting past you. LOL. Talladega was fun though. Nascar should make a nostalgia series like the AHRA did for funny cars, limits the amount of technology that you can use therefor limiting the amount of dollars that are spent in the class. I'm told it's the fastest growing class in drag racing and it's a blast to watch! I think NASCAR would have a runaway hit doing that. Just one small detail... craigslist add:" wanted, 1970 plymouth hemi superbird wanted for swapping paint at local NASCAR race. Call 555 5555." Kev

Ya I was at the 2000 Daytona, what a zoo, I'll never do it again! Never thought I'd ever see the day I'd pay $50.00 to park in a staples parking lot. I'm assuming that if you live in Florida and just hopped in your car it might cost a tad less! LOL. The best race I've been to was my first one at the old Rockingham track back in 1999. Since doing the Daytona I've made the genius discovery that shorter tracks are better, more value when you can actually see the WHOLE TRACK and not just the 5 seconds that they are blasting past you. LOL. Talladega was fun though. Nascar should make a nostalgia series like the AHRA did for funny cars, limits the amount of technology that you can use therefor limiting the amount of dollars that are spent in the class. I'm told it's the fastest growing class in drag racing and it's a blast to watch! I think NASCAR would have a runaway hit doing that. Just one small detail... craigslist add:" wanted, 1970 plymouth hemi superbird wanted for swapping paint at local NASCAR race. Call 555 5555." Kev

Yah kanders, we have retired from Daytona as well. Went for the 50th as our last. The $90 fan zone was a joke. My first year there back in 97, I drove over, parked in the mall lot I think, paid big bucks for the spot. Walked miles to the back stretch and couldn't see anything.
We took a newbie the last time and for the truck race, you can sit on the lower levels...wait, first he ask if the driver introduction trucks were what they were racing(Avalanches) I said no just wait. They go around once and he says I think we might be sitting to close.LOL But then noticed the young guys and girls staff that keep you off the fence were even closer.8)

I agree with a sportsman style format. Kind of how the busch division started.

Here was my view for the 500.

DSC00030 (Custom).JPG

DSC00033 (Custom).JPG

I don't think the chase is working,johnson three in a row and maybe a fourth. How long did it take for someone to get close to cale?

Oh you mean the Jimmy Johnson show? I am a big Stewart fan but I wonder how he would be doing without hendricks power. It sure isn't as fun as it was even 10 years ago. Heck, there wasn't even any aggression at Bristol! Lets face it when gas mileage wins half the races it's boring to watch.

Yeah the chase was so one guy couldn't run away with it. But now it is the JJ show. Well I guess its better then Kyle Bush.

Well chalk up another championship for Johnson. this one will make it 4 in a row. He's got a 90 point led on everyone else and that is almost impossible to recover from with how well johnson does at the tracks coming up in the chase.

Seems funny the chase is almost handpicked for him as he does well at almost all the tracks their going to. And Nascar.com still says the Chase format works.

geez, I thought you were talking about restrictor plate races... :D
I've been steadilly losing interest for years. I want to see drivers race cars. Not pilots run around a slot car track. And yes, people get hurt and killed, but that's racing. They should have continued to make the tracks safer, the cars should fit a factory template, and reduce octane with the cubic inch limit.

Nascar SUCKS! Its full of sell outs. #1 sellout, RICHARD PETTY! The same guy who claimed to bleed Chysler blue. First, he wouldn't run a car in the Busch series, because he doesn't cotton to the alchol sponsers. Well his name is on a car sponsored by a beer company now. Its amazing how his family values go out the window, when theres cash on the line. I guess he bleds ford blue instead of Chrysler blue. RPM is switching to fords for 2010. He is also courting middle east money from some arab prince. I wonder if has converted to the muslim faith yet, maybe, if the moneys right! Nascar is nothing but a big sellout. I look for a spec engine, in a spec car for the future of nascar. ther is no reason to have the manufactures envolved. Sorry for the rant, its just one of those mornings.

Yeah the chase was so one guy couldn't run away with it. But now it is the JJ show. Well I guess its better then Kyle Bush.
Well, been to several tracks....Lowe's is our favorite track have done the 10 day speed week thing...ALL-STAR , 600 RACE a few times had a ball, also been to Fontana, Ca. , brickyard , Michigan and Daytona ( July ) night race. have always had a awesome time. OH yeah....I'm a Kyle Busch fan.... at least he make it interesting and he can drive !!

Well, been to several tracks....Lowe's is our favorite track have done the 10 day speed week thing...ALL-STAR , 600 RACE a few times had a ball, also been to Fontana, Ca. , brickyard , Michigan and Daytona ( July ) night race. have always had a awesome time. OH yeah....I'm a Kyle Busch fan.... at least he make it interesting and he can drive !!

im a kyle busch fan also.. hes only hated because hes a good driver..

im a kyle busch fan also.. hes only hated because hes a good driver..
Exactly ....and I was also one of his haters when he first started but he has sure impressed me ...the boy can drive, met him at Lowe's and he's really a nice guy ! My son-in-law hates him , we had our grandson with us and I had Kyle sign the grandsons hat...son-n-law wasn't real happy...:cheers:

I hate kyle because everyone compares him to a legend. Kyle is a legend in his own mind. Dale Earnhardt Sr. Is a true racer. He worked for his goals, Kyle's dad simply decided one day to put in in a racecar and fund his way to nascar.

I wouldn't be bothered by the chase format if they completely separated the 12 chasers in points. No matter what if you finish as the highest chaser in the standings whether it be 1stplace or 15th you get this many points and the 2nd place gets the same points whether their behind the 1st place by 1 car or 10. Give bonuses for this or that finish in the top 5 get 20 extra points, 6-10 get 15, 11-20th get10 21st -30th get 5 after that no bonus points. imo that would make the chase exciting because then points standings could change every week and instead of getting to halfway and finding out who will win the championship. That way it's less about consistency and more about being ahead of the other chasers

-
Back